GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hulu Plus

Member #

Hulu Plus

Hulu plus was recently ported over to android phones and tablets, anyone get it working on google tv?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmprnbr1 View Post
    Hulu plus was recently ported over to android phones and tablets, anyone get it working on google tv?
    If by recently, you mean seven months ago that's true as listed on their blog.

The following is an excerpt from the following blog post. But, since then they have been making headway in continuing to trickle support for various Android devices.

Hulu Plus Begins Android Roll Out
    by Rob Wong Director, Product Management on June 22nd, 2011

We’ve always said our mission is to provide the world’s premium content to people when, how and where they want it. And we know that a lot of people want that content on their Android smartphones. We’ve been working hard to make that a reality, and today, we have begun our early rollout of the Hulu Plus application on Android smartphones.

With the first phase of the Android rollout, Hulu Plus is available on six phones, including the Nexus One, Nexus S, HTC Inspire 4G, Motorola Droid II, Motorola Droid X, and the Motorola Atrix. We expect to add to the number of Android smartphones and will be making additional device announcements throughout the year.

The free Hulu Plus app is available for download from Android Market, and once installed, Hulu Plus subscribers will be able to enjoy the service on the go. As always, Hulu Plus offers new subscribers one free week to try the service.

The entire article can be found at the following link: Hulu Plus Begins Android Roll Out « Hulu Blog
    The problem with the current application package is that the security protocols seem to have been written with the Android NDK for ARM processors. Unfortunately, this makes the application incompatible with the x86 processor in current Google TV devices. That's probably one of the reasons why it is presently available to select Android Tablets and Phones. Another reason could still be be due the licensing issues if the following letter is still relevant.

The following is letter as an excerpt of the following article:

Hulu Rep Speaks Out on GoogleTV
    By Russell Holly on January 28, 2011

Hi Cassandra,

Thank you for writing to me. I will be more than happy to explain the situation. When we first launched Hulu.com (a few years before Hulu Plus) all the streaming rights we had gathered for our content were for personal computers. Now that all these new television connected devices (like Google TV) and mobile devices like iPhones/iPads) have proliferated, we've been expanding our service by launching Hulu Plus in order to gather the rights to stream over those new devices. We have to renegotiate on a show by show basis and on a device per device basis and while we do have a lot of great content and devicesready for Hulu Plus, we're still working to make it all available on all devices with an internet connection. Basically what it comes down to is a streaming rights issue. As of right now, we just simply do not have the rights to stream content from our website on Google TV platforms.

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible and are continually evaluating new technologies, and will be working to add more devices based on user demand. I have seen plenty of demand for Google TV (with good reason!) and hope I have better news for you soon as we work with our content providers and device manufacturers to get the rights for Hulu Plus to be streamed over more devices. Unfortunately, these negotiations sometimes take longer than we would hope but be assured we are working hard to expand our services! I do apologize for the frustration caused by this streaming rights discrepancy. It's not our goal to block users from our services but we just don't have the negotiations worked out to stream content onto Google TV devices yet. If you have any other questions or concerns, or if anything I described is unclear please get back in contact with me and I'll be able to assist you further!

Thanks,
    Casey

Hulu Support

The entire article can be found at the following link: Hulu Rep Speaks Out on GoogleTVAndroidGuys
    Either way, we're just going to have to wait until they decide to release a version for Google TV.

Member #
    Thanks for the overly long reply, but I was referencing a recent article from yesterday. There was an article posted on www.engadget.com about Hulu plus APK being hacked to work on all android phones and tablets not just a select few. And from the comments it does work on almost all, unfortunately not google tv. Just asking if anyone got the hacked version working yet.
    Last edited by Jmprnbr1; 01-20-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmprnbr1 View Post
    Thanks for the overly long reply, but I was referencing a recent article from yesterday. There was an article posted on www.engadget.com about Hulu plus APK being hacked to work on all android phones and tablets not just a select few. And from the comments it does work on almost all, unfortunately not google tv. Just asking if anyone got the hacked version working yet.
    Sorry, if you felt the reply was too long. I was just trying to impart knowledge. This is the article I suspected you referenced.

The following is an excerpt of the following article:
    Hack breaks Hulu Plus free from supported device chains, embraces Androids of every shape and color
    By Joseph Volpe on January 19th 2012.

It's not TV, it's Hulu Plus and it's coming to the Android device of your choosing -- somewhat, unofficially. While the main ad-supported, streaming video site may have failed to seek refuge in the arms of a new owner last year, its subscription mobile offshoot is now finding a home in all Googlefied phones and tablets via a modified .apk created by XDA Developers member Vgeezy.

The full article can be read at: Hack breaks Hulu Plus free from supported device chains, embraces Androids of every shape and color - Engadget
    Just for future reference; "Hacked" and "ported" are actually two different things. In this case, "hacked" means the security measures which prevented the app from running on non-supported tablets and phones have been removed. "Ported" would infer that he translated the part of the code written with the NDK that's preventing any Android device from executing it. He did the former not the latter. If you check the thread at XDA, "Breaking News" HuluPlus.apk Has Been Successfully Modded By Vgeezy" the NDK issue remains a problem.

Member #
    Hmm. It's looking like if I want to get Hulu Plus on GTV I'm going to have to open my wallet again and buy one of the new ARM GTV boxes when they come out in a few months. Would the hack version likely work on the new ARM GTV devices? Waiting for Hulu Plus to be "officially released" on the Intel GTV devices is worse than taking the slow boat to China -

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CatfishRivers View Post
    Hmm. It's looking like if I want to get Hulu Plus on GTV I'm going to have to open my wallet again and buy one of the new ARM GTV boxes when they come out in a few months. Would the hack version likely work on the new ARM GTV devices? Waiting for Hulu Plus to be "officially released" on the Intel GTV devices is worse than taking the slow boat to China -
    It actually would depend if Google ever patches in the ARM/Intel NDK libraries for Dalvik Virtual Machine on Google TV. As I understand, they're really hesitant in doing so because they're afraid that it might open holes in their security. The only other way around it, is if Hulu works with Google to have Hulu Plus distributed with the operating system, like Netflix. This will allow their app to execute native code outside of the Dalvik virtual machine.

Member #
    Last time I had tried to load Hulu on my GTV, I got a pop-up saying they were still trying to work out licensing. I'm not a fan of Hulu. They are a child of NBC, which is one of the big guys who feel GTV and other Google platforms (YouTube) are a threat to their existence.

Member #
    This guy supposedly got hulu working on google tv - not sure how long the trick will work but here is the video if anyone wants to try it out. I am content with playon myself.
    32" Sony LED GTV - NSX-32GT1
    Using PlayOn to stream my media
    WDTV Live Plus via HDMI1
    Dish DUODVR 625 via Component
    Over The Air Antenna via the Cable In
    Connected via ethernet to Netgear WNR3500L

Member #
    I went to download.hulu.com/huludesktop.swf and it worked for a few minutes but encountered a Hulu verification error and suggested I try again. I might try changing user agent and go back but I am doubtful this method will work long if it works at all. I am using the Revue.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    He said he was using an android string as his user agent in the video I think.
    32" Sony LED GTV - NSX-32GT1
    Using PlayOn to stream my media
    WDTV Live Plus via HDMI1
    Dish DUODVR 625 via Component
    Over The Air Antenna via the Cable In
    Connected via ethernet to Netgear WNR3500L

Ads