GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

What is your Data Limit with your Internet Provider?

I was scouring through my Cable Internet Bill the other day, I had forgotten that Comcast Cable puts a limit on Data Usage. I have a 250 Gig monthly bandwidth cap. I usually average 150 Gig a month now, before using GTV to it's fullest potential. I can see using Google TV to watch High Def Content, this can rise dramatically.

Does Comcast use a monthly data usage threshold to determine excessive use?

Comcast has established a 250GB monthly data usage threshold for all residential Comcast High-Speed Internet accounts. This threshold is in place to provide a clear definition of excessive use of the service.

The new monthly data usage threshold went into effect on October 1, 2008.
    So I started looking for more information about this on Comcast's website. The say if you go over 250 Gig, they consider you a bandwith hog, and they contact you & or, cancel your Internet Access.

What will happen if I exceed 250 GB of data usage in a month?

The vast majority - more than 99% - of our customers will not be impacted by a 250 GB monthly data usage threshold. If you exceed more than 250 GB, you may receive a call from the Customer Security Assurance ("CSA") team to notify you of excessive use. At that time, we will tell you exactly how much data you used. When we call you, we try to help you identify the source of excessive use and ask you to moderate your usage, which the vast majority of our customers do voluntarily. If you exceed 250GB again within six months of the first contact, your service will be subject to termination and you will not be eligible for either residential or commercial internet service for twelve (12) months. We know from experience that most customers curb their usage after our first call. If your account is terminated, after the twelve (12) month period expires, you may resume service by subscribing to a service plan appropriate to your needs.

Our practice for the past several years has been to call only our heaviest data users, and this practice remains the same now that the 250GB data usage threshold is in effect. We may change our practice but will, of course, provide notice to you of any change.

Quoted Information Pulled from Comcast's Website

So how many of you have Bandwith Caps on your internet service? Do you think this may effect your GTV Use?

Member #
    It will not affect your GTV use... i never use more then 50 gigs and i stream hour and hours of Hulu each month. This only affects people who are downloading full blu-rays and DVDs.

Member #
    None here with 100 by 70 megabit in the dorm and 10 by .5 megabit at home (Time Warner)

Member #
    no cap on time warner?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbeav View Post
    no cap on time warner?
    As far as I can find on the net, Time Warner has no cap at this time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by firemandan9 View Post
    None here with 100 by 70 megabit in the dorm and 10 by .5 megabit at home (Time Warner)
    Not been home recently but found out Time Warner actually bumped up the speeds they offer in my region to 15 by 1 megabit for Roadrunner turbo. Yeah for competition! I could even pay $10 more to get 30 by 5 megabit, they are really stepping up the game, just wish prices would go down...

Ads