GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Google TV Must Battle Market Confusion

Google TV Must Battle Market Confusion - 2012-05-21 04:01:00 | TWICE (click for full article)

"NEW YORK – This week, LG joins Sony in delivering to market a Google TV line that brings the Android platform to the big screen with a new brand.

But market analysts said that LG and Google will have their work cut out trying to make an Apple TV-like stir around the alternative smart-TV platform.

A badly executed early launch left Google’s Android system for TVs struggling to whet consumer appetites, despite claims to provide seamless integration with Android mobile devices and a PC-like browsing experience on the TV screen.

After almost two years in the market, sales of initial Google TVs from Sony and Google TV-enabled set-top Revue boxes (the latter of which is now discontinued by Logitech but announced as coming soon in a new form from Vizio) remain small niche items of a North American connected TV market.

Paul Gagnon, NPD DisplaySearch North American TV market research director, estimated that connected TV now reaches about 35 percent of the North American market, up from 22.5 percent last year.

“A number of factors have hindered success of Google TV, but primarily the industry’s emphasis on 3DTV and the variety of connected platforms competing for consumers helped to bog down overall adoption,” observed Tamaryn Pratt, Quixel Research principal. “Most of the big manufacturers want their own ecosystem or taste of the Apple success, and it almost seems like this is a backup scenario.”

Most analysts agreed that consumers are confused when they hear two stories about Internet-enabled TV from one manufacturer, like Sony, as the company continued to market a line of Bravia Internet Video TVs as it unveiled its competing Google TV alternatives.

It appears LG is about to do the same thing. It already offers lines of TVs empowered by the LG Smart TV system, which the company promotes vigorously. That system offers links to a number of premium steaming-movie services, including Netflix and Vudu, while LG Google TVs lack Vudu but offers Netflix, HBO Go and Amazon on Demand.

Tom Morrod, IHS TV technology senior principal analyst, said, “Betting on Google TV isn’t the same as betting against your own platform yet. It’s simply a hedge on the basis that Google might be a winner here, and if it happens, it could happen quickly, such as with an Apple TV launch.”

Still, analysts said that adding two IPTV systems under one brand risks making the purchase proposition confusing not only for consumers, but retailers as well.

“It does send a mixed message. If [the dual IPTV platforms are] not clearly messaged by manufacturers, it adds another layer of complexity in the decision making process,” Pratt said. “Clearly, it would be a great scenario for smaller TV brands as a quasi-standard, and that may in fact help the overall penetration of Google TV.”
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 05-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Member #
    I think that is a pretty good description of the situation as it stands now.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    I have the Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV which i must admit that I only bought it due getting insane deal on it, but now this thing is growing on me and I'm being pulled into it more and more. Sure there are TVs out there with there own pre-loaded apps and now also some be browsers, but they are generally subscription based apps and the browser needs to be navigated via on-screen keyboard which takes forever and a day. I think once people have access to Google TV and start using it, they will see the benefit. I know that there are not as many apps yet in the GTV Play Store, but as one of the threads in this forum list many apps that actually do work with GTV but are just not listed in the GTV play store, its just a matter of time before more and more are added. Bottom line is that Google TV is the way to go and all the proprietary apps on different devices are road to no-where.

Ads