GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

Vizio Co-Star: A Better, But Not Good, Google TV

Vizio Costar: A Better, But Not Good, Google TV - Zatz Not Funny! (click for full article)

Sept. 1, 2012 filed By Dave Zatz

"As you may have gathered, Vizio, FedEx, and USPS have collectively been unable to deliver a Costar to the address I specified or fee-free as advertised. Fortunately (perhaps), our pals Scott Greczkowski of Satellite Guys and Chris Kapusta of The Game Corps have received shipment of second generation Google TV hardware. And while the form factor and pricing ($100) are both improved over first gen hardware, it seems the overall experience is still lacking."
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 09-01-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Member #
    I know that there is another thread on this forum for user reviews and experiences with the Vizio Co-Star - but it's gotten quite long - so on this thread I'll just posts links to Co-Star reviews from media sources that have been published on other web sites. If you come across some Co-Star reviews please post them to this thread.

Android Authority On Air - Episode 26 - Samsung vs Apple Verdict and Vizio CoStar Review

From the article:

"During this weeks show, we were joined by special guest Chris Hollis of Google TV Friends to help us with our Vizio Co-Star and Google TV review. As you may know, this week the $99 Google TV set top box started to arrive for those that pre-ordered. We go over initial impresses ions, setup and configuration, software/UI, and popular, must have Google TV apps."
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 09-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

Member #
    Vizio Co-Star Review: Hands-On With Vizio's New $99 Streaming Box - Dan Rayburn - StreamingMediaBlog.com (click for full article)

Vizio Co-Star Review: Hands-On With Vizio’s New $99 Streaming Box
    Dan Rayburn | Tuesday August 21, 2012 | 04:29 PM | 47 Comments

"The market for streaming boxes just got a little more crowded with the release of Vizio’s new $99 streaming media device, named the Co-Star. Joining the ranks of Roku, Apple, Western Digital, Sony and Netgear who already have $99 boxes in the market, Vizio’s Co-Star device is being delivered this week, to those who pre-ordered from Vizio.com. I’ve been testing the box for the past two days, and overall, the box performs pretty well. [Updated: See part two of my Vizio Co-Star review, where I answered some of your questions.]"
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 09-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Member #
    If you scroll down to the "comments" section in the following articles you will see some informative user reviews and comments:

Vizio Co-Star orders arriving at doorsteps now

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/22/v...-we-never-had/
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 09-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Member #
    Vizio Co-Star Review - Geek News Central (click for full article)

"On the day that the Vizio Co-Star became available for pre-order I ordered one and it arrived late yesterday afternoon. It is small about the size of an Apple TV only thicker. The unit comes with a power cable, a remote, batteries for the remote and a quick start guide. HDMI cables are not included. ifixit did a tear down of the device and all the specs are available on their webisite

The setup is fairly easily although there is some information you want to have in front of you. There are two HDMI inputs one to attach your cable box, if you have one, and the other one goes to your TV monitor. The Co-star has no sound output, so all the sound has to come from the monitor and what ever sound system that is attached to it. You are now ready to plug the Vizio Co-Star in. The Co-star has no on off button so you have to turn it on and off using the remote control.

Once you have it turned on, it will take you thru the setup process. In order for the remote control to pair with your cable box you may need to input the make and model of the cable box. Although I was able to pair the remote with my Comcast cable box without having the model number. You can also pair the remote control with your TV, sound system and Blu-Ray Player. To do this you will need the make and model number for each."
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 09-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Member #
    Scott’s had all sorts of difficulty streaming content from various sources and was ready to return the unit, until Vizio informed him he’d be responsible for return shipping costs and hit with a restocking fee. As Vizio probably intends, that disincentive (corroborated on AVS) has been enough for Scott to hang onto his flawed Costar — which he’s pretty much relegated to a single function “Slingcatcher” device given Google TV’s limited ecosystem of compelling native apps (versus the kludge of icons masquerading as app that send you to webpages… that fail to stream or offer SD-only video

There’s been some discussion of Vizio’s bulky remote. While this may be the first RF remote with touchpad and QWERTY keyboard bundled with a hundred dollar streamer, it is indeed thick – about as thick as the competing Roku 2 XS box is tall and about twice as thick as Boxee’s comparable clicker but without the ergonomics of say the TiVo Slide. A

I couldn't get through the Zatz review, after calling the remote the first RF remote with qwerty keyboard and touchpad, claiming it can't stream from various sources, and complaining about having to pay return shipping. I have a Revue RF remote with qwerty keyboard and touchpad and that is a Bluetooth remote, not RF. Why not mention some of the various sources it allegedly can't stream from? Did the idiot whining about return shipping read the purchase terms before purchase? If the rest of the review is as screwed up as that is, good thing I didn't waste any more time reading it.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Also I went to YouTube to listen to the Android Authority review, boring and the host knows next to nothing about Google TV but there is one guy participating with some knowledge and overall it is positive but it was too boring and slow moving for me to listen to it all.

I got tired of waiting for the crapfest of ads at the site the above link sends us to to watch the video from that site, but YouTube app search for "Android Authority 26" brought up the show quickly.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG8 View Post
    I couldn't get through the Zatz review, after calling the remote the first RF remote with qwerty keyboard and touchpad, claiming it can't stream from various sources, and complaining about having to pay return shipping. I have a Revue RF remote with qwerty keyboard and touchpad and that is a Bluetooth remote, not RF. Why not mention some of the various sources it allegedly can't stream from? Did the idiot whining about return shipping read the purchase terms before purchase? If the rest of the review is as screwed up as that is, good thing I didn't waste any more time reading it.
    The point I was making is that this is the first time you can get a device with a remote like this *for $100 or less* to my knowledge - which is a selling point. Boxee is closer to $200, the old DISH DVR is whatever it was, etc. I seen several people complain about the return shipping and restock fees - I bring that up because it's much different process than buying something like a Roku or even a Revue (once upon a time) from Amazon or Best Buy when a device is buggy or not meeting expectations. It's their $100, I'll let them "whine". As far as sources, the WiFi on this device has been reported to be weaker than competing devices, mine never arrived so I can't confirm. But I know Scott had trouble with Netflix not working at all the first week he had it and was disappointed Amazon is SD only and via a webpage -- probably not Vizio or Google's fault, but it's their ecosystem that pays the price. Happy to answer more questions, but Scott is out of town at a wedding this weekend so it may be a few days.
    Last edited by davez; 09-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Member #
    I haven't personally used the Vizio Co-Star so I have no opinion of it either way. I'd rate my Logitech Revue about 7.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. It's nice with a few annoying glitches that I can live with. As for as these reviews I'm just posting stuff that I come across on the web. I have no particular agenda and I won't exclude reviews that might come across as too negative (or too positive) - just trying to be impartial and post what's out there. If you disagree strongly with some of the reviews that's fine - as it's interesting to read the opinions. If you find a review that you like please post the link for it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by davez View Post
    The point I was making is that this is the first time you can get a device with a remote like this *for $100 or less* to my knowledge - which is a selling point. Boxee is closer to $200, the old DISH DVR is whatever it was, etc. I seen several people complain about the return shipping and restock fees - I bring that up because it's much different process than buying something like a Roku or even a Revue (once upon a time) from Amazon or Best Buy when a device is buggy or not meeting expectations. It's their $100, I'll let them "whine". As far as sources, the WiFi on this device has been reported to be weaker than competing devices, mine never arrived so I can't confirm. But I know Scott had trouble with Netflix not working at all the first week he had it and was disappointed Amazon is SD only and via a webpage -- probably not Vizio or Google's fault, but it's their ecosystem that pays the price. Happy to answer more questions, but Scott is out of town at a wedding this weekend so it may be a few days.

Thanks for registering here, Google TV has been taking a beating for a couple of years from reviewers and I will be darned if more than a couple of them have taken the time to learn how to use the device before offering a scathing review. Google TV is complicated and clunky since its goals are grand, nothing like Roku or Apple TV which offer nice apps and very limited access to the web but are very simple to use. I will take Google TV any day, it can be mastered and is far more useful once that has been accomplished for the things I wanted from a streaming box.

As far as return shipping costs, that is disclosed under terms of sale at the Vizio site. I certainly would never blame anybody for only buying from sellers that offer free returns, that is the consumer's option. Buying without knowing the terms, nobdoy to blame but yourself. I didn't purchase the Vizio Co-Star but my guess is it requires an acceptance of the terms that are clearly disclosed at the site, I just went there and it took me a minute to find the disclosure:

Return Policy for Direct Vizio Sales

VIZIO's return policy allows for products purchased directly from VIZIO to be returned by the original purchaser during the initial thirty (30) day period following the date of purchase. A VIZIO return authorization number must first be obtained as provided below. The refund will be the purchase price actually paid by the purchaser less a ten percent (10%) restocking fee per each item returned. Shipping and handling are not refundable.

The return authorization number must first be obtained from VIZIO's Customer Service by emailing CustomerSupport@VIZIO.com or by calling 877.698.4946, 6:00AM to 9:00PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, and 8:00AM to 4:00PM Pacific Time, Saturday and Sunday. Please note that holiday hours may vary. For up to date information, please visit America's #1 LCD HDTV Company | VIZIO.

Products must be returned to the address specified by VIZIO Customer Service and must be shipped in the original packaging, with freight prepaid to VIZIO, and must be received in new and unused condition. The return authorization number must be included in the packaging. VIZIO reserves the right to assess fees for any damaged or missing parts in addition to the ten percent (10%) restocking fee.

Return authorization numbers are valid for only fifteen (15) days from issuance. The customer is responsible for and must prepay all shipping charges and shall assume all risk of loss or damage to the product while in transit to VIZIO. If the product is returned to VIZIO (i) without a VIZIO return authorization number, and/or (ii) beyond the fifteen (15) day period, and/or (iii) without proper packaging, VIZIO retains the right to refuse delivery of such return or may return the unit to the customer at the customer's expense and with no refund issued.
    I will let people owning the Co-Star discuss that product with you and I hope you can spend some time here to see what they say. I can discuss Google TV in general but I am able to make the first generation boxes I own work extremely well for my needs and therefore don't own a second generation box.
    Last edited by ChrisG8; 09-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Ads