GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Sony Google TV NSX24-GT1 won't connect to iPhone hot spot via WiFi

I just purchased a Sony Google TV NSX24GT1 and I am trying to connect to the internet using my iPhone personal hotspot. It shows the network, and I enter the password, but it then gets stuck onto the "Connecting to Matthew's iPhone..." and never completes the connection. I've tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM951 View Post
    I just purchased a Sony Google TV NSX24GT1 and I am trying to connect to the internet using my iPhone personal hotspot. It shows the network, and I enter the password, but it then gets stuck onto the "Connecting to Matthew's iPhone..." and never completes the connection. I've tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance!
    It might be a problem with the type of security protocol or dhcp issues which have been found in the original 3.1 update. If it is the security protocol try setting your WiFi Hotspot to a less secure protocol like WEP to see if that is the issue. If it is then try using the different protocols available to you to determine which ones are compatible.

If it is the DHCP problem then you can manually set it in GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information. Otherwise, you can wait to get the update that's listed in this post: Google TV 2.0 Update Screenshots on Sony Internet TV

Member #
    Thanks efrez. One question, when you say "LONG KEY PRESS of SSID" what do you mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just got this TV this past weekend, so excuse my newbie-ism LOL.

Member #
    Thanks efrez. One question, when you say "LONG KEY PRESS of SSID" what do you mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just got this TV this past weekend, so excuse my newbie-ism LOL.
    Not a dumb question at all. A long key press is to hold down either the "Enter" button from the D-Pad or the Optical Finger Sensor (OFS) button. Since there is no such thing as "right-clicking" in Android, a long key press often provides similar functionality to access the alternate contextual menus.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eferz View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. A long key press is to hold down either the "Enter" button from the D-Pad or the Optical Finger Sensor (OFS) button. Since there is no such thing as "right-clicking" in Android, a long key press often provides similar functionality to access the alternate contextual menus.
    Thanks eferz, I will definitely try out your steps when I get home tonight and see if they work. As far as that update goes, is that out now and available?

Member #
    Thanks eferz, I will definitely try out your steps when I get home tonight and see if they work. As far as that update goes, is that out now and available?
    Yes, it is being trickled out as we speak.

Member #
    Yes, it is being trickled out as we speak.
    Okay great. Now, will my tv still grab the update, even though it's not connected to the internet?

Member #
    Okay great. Now, will my tv still grab the update, even though it's not connected to the internet?
    You'll have to find a way to get it connected like using the static IP or wiring it up with an Ethernet Cable. And you will also have to wait for it to be available to your particular Google TV device.

Member #
    You'll have to find a way to get it connected like using the static IP or wiring it up with an Ethernet Cable. And you will also have to wait for it to be available to your particular Google TV device.
    I see. The thing I'm not sure about is, how would I know which IP to put into it manually. The wireless network I'm trying to connect it to is on my iPhone. Any suggestions on that?

Member #
    I see. The thing I'm not sure about is, how would I know which IP to put into it manually. The wireless network I'm trying to connect it to is on my iPhone. Any suggestions on that?
    You could always connect another device like a laptop or a tablet through your iPhone, write down the IP configuration then disconnect it. Then on your Sony Internet TV, you would apply the static information, connect to the Hotspot and hope it works. Also, don't forget about the encryption options. If you can lower the security then it might help you get online.

By the way, why are you using the iPhone Hotspot? I would think there are better solutions to get internet access to your Sony Internet TV other than using a phone with 3G internet access.

Ads