GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Question Can you watch movies using a USB flash drive through the google tv?

I transferred movies from my computer to a USB flash drive. I connected the flash drive to my google tv and I am lost at this point. When I connected it, a message appeared saying "synced USB storage" but there is no obvious location to access the files. I opened the media player app and there are no signs of USB storage!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I transferred movies from my computer to a USB flash drive. I connected the flash drive to my google tv and I am lost at this point. When I connected it, a message appeared saying "synced USB storage" but there is no obvious location to access the files. I opened the media player app and there are no signs of USB storage!
    If you have the Sony version of Google TV then make sure you have formatted the USB storage device with FAT32. You'll be able to use Sony Media Player to view your movie, image, and music contents from it. If you have a Logitech Revue then you can use NTFS but honestly support for that partition type is iffy at best.

Member #
    Thanks bud!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Thanks bud!
    You're welcome. Glad to help.

Member #
    eferz, do you know why the Logitech Revue supports NTFS and the SONY NSZ-GT1 Don't?

Is there any way to format or use an 32GB USB Drive, to copy large 7-12GB MKV Video Files , or any APP to enable NTFS on the NSZ-GT1 ?

I am aware that if format to NTFS my 32GB USB drive, I should be able to copy those large files, but my SONY NSZ-GT1 don't read NTFS Format Drives...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ulises1954 View Post
    eferz, do you know why the Logitech Revue supports NTFS and the SONY NSZ-GT1 Don't?
    Yes, because Logitech included the Tuxera NTFS-3G drivers with the Revue and Sony did not.

Is there any way to format or use an 32GB USB Drive, to copy large 7-12GB MKV Video Files , or any APP to enable NTFS on the NSZ-GT1 ?
    No, FAT32 partitions can only handle file sizes up to 4GB. Unless someone gets stupid bored and decides to write a NTFS driver in java, that's not likely to happen. Ever.

I am aware that if format to NTFS my 32GB USB drive, I should be able to copy those large files, but my SONY NSZ-GT1 don't read NTFS Format Drives...
    If you share your files over the network then the file partition type doesn't matter.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eferz View Post
    Yes, because Logitech included the Tuxera NTFS-3G drivers with the Revue and Sony did not.

No, FAT32 partitions can only handle file sizes up to 4GB. Unless someone gets stupid bored and decides to write a NTFS driver in java, that's not likely to happen. Ever.

If you share your files over the network then the file partition type doesn't matter.
    I already know that FAT32 can Only handle files up to 4GB... Thanks anyway for the information.

This is the only big limitation that I have found in the Sony NSZ-GT1... Is there any way to Install this Tuxera drivers on the NSZ-GT1?

Could you recomend me the best Android APP to Securely Transfer big MKV Video files over the network, to my Sony NSZ-GT1?
    Last edited by ulises1954; 01-26-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Member #
    Is there any way to Install this Tuxera drivers on the NSZ-GT1?
    No. It would need to be baked into the OS with signed code.

Could you recomend me the best Android APP to Securely Transfer big MKV Video files over the network, to my Sony NSZ-GT1?
    You want to stream the movies from a phone or tablet? Why don't you use DLNA server software on your PC? And does it really need have an additional layer of security than your current network configuration already provides?

Member #
    eFerz, Thanks for your fast reply!

Since, I don't need additional security than my current network already have, and You recommend me to use DLNA to stream movies from my PC to the NSZ-GT1, I would like to know which APP should I use?

Thanks again for all your help!

Member #
    eFerz, Thanks for your fast reply!

Since, I don't need additional security than my current network already have, and You recommend me to use DLNA to stream movies from my PC to the NSZ-GT1, I would like to know which APP should I use?

Thanks again for all your help!
    Really sort of depends on you movies. If they are natively compatible with Google TV then Twonky Multimedia is a great DLNA server. If your movies require transcoding then you might have to look elsewhere.

Ads