GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Thumbs down Sony TV Cannot play Xbox 360 or WII using either HDMI or Component cables without lag

The title pretty much elaborates on the entire problem. I've adjusted the picture mode to "Custom" to alleviate it as much as possible but its still off by about 1/10 of a second which is VERY noticable when playing games that involve any sort of reflexes whatsoever(in other words: 95% of them). Its to the point where nobody who comes over wants to play games on this TV. Aside from that it turns people off from buying a Google TV in the first place.

[***UPDATE]

I called Sony Technical Support and they told me this was "normal" for it to react to game systems this way. They said it was because of the Android OS. Google, can you hear me? -_-
    Last edited by rob2d; 05-31-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Member #
    I've notice some minor lag (milliseconds, seems almost like 'blur' but it's not blurry). However I've also seen this with standard LCD TV's as well. My 32" LG TV in the bedroom exhibits the same behavior and it's a standard TV (using the Component Inputs and Component accessory cable for my WII).

Member #
    This is a silly request. Most people have an HDMI input for their Google TV and a separate HDMI input from their XBox into their TV. The XBox and the Google TV need not interface with each other. The fact that you would try that seems kindof silly to me.

Now if your trying to point out a flaw in the HDMI chaining... then yes, you might have a point, but it seems to me that this would be a lesser important thing to get fixed given that most people don't need to chain HDMI with an XBox. Google TV is meant to be chained with certain tuners only. It says so in the guide that comes with your device.

Member #
    @djangofan: rob2d is, I'm pretty sure, talking about a SONY GOOGLE TV(NSX-23/32/40gt1) which is a Sony LED TV with built-in GoogleTV.
    @phantomandy: The "blur" lag is not the same as the signal lag like rob2d is talking about. That kind of lag is due to the tv refreshing at 60Hz.
    @rob2d: I don't remember if we talked about this same thing on another topic or not, but I used rockband 2's auto-calibration to find out the audio and video(i.e. the actual signal) is lagging around 150ms, on either connector. While Sony's "Advanced signal processing" may be the base reason for the lag, it isn't their fault. On other Sony models, there is a game mode. so yeah CMON GOOGLE! Give me game mode! Maybe when the new OS rolls out?
    32" Sony LED GTV - NSX-32GT1
    Using PlayOn to stream my media
    XBOX 360 Slim currently connected via HDMI
    Connected via ethernet to Linksys WRT54G2
    Ex-Best Buy Employee of 4 or so years
    Software Engineer

Member #
    Oh yeah, your right on that. Sony is good about doing 1 or 2 firmware updates to TVs and so I would recommend watching for a firmware update.

Member #
    Boy I wish I would have read this before I brought this TV. The Lag is hellish. Its funny before buying this I never heard of this type of lag. Repack in progress

Member #
    I like how sony blames Google/Android OS for this, when in actuality it's a Sony issue. If you do a Google search for "video game lag Sony TV" without the quotes you will see tons and TONS of posts of Sony TV's doing this same thing. 99% of these tvs were made before Google TV came out, or are current but aren't a smart TV. It's an issue with the way their proprietary "Bravia" software/hardware handles the conversion of the picture. They even have a setting in the TVs called "gaming" which is supposed to reduce the lag, but it doesn't get rid of it. Some people even have a whole 1 second lag on their tvs when playing video games.

I'm a playstation supporter, and I'm also a Google supporter, but I gotta say, totally BAD FORM sony. Don't blame others for your shortcomings.

Member #
    Yeah I shoulda repacked mine when i bought it, but i do like the tv when it comes to not gaming. I do wish it had a better contrast ratio though. It is pretty pathetic that the contrast of an LED tv is lower than many LCD's.
    32" Sony LED GTV - NSX-32GT1
    Using PlayOn to stream my media
    XBOX 360 Slim currently connected via HDMI
    Connected via ethernet to Linksys WRT54G2
    Ex-Best Buy Employee of 4 or so years
    Software Engineer

Member #
    Wow I REALLY wish I would have done more research on this matter and thanks for the heads up MrAndroid because I was going to replace this tv with another Sony branded TV but I'm going to stay away. One of the things that kills me is repacking these HUGH TVs! hahahaha its a real pain in the neck. For the record I LOVE the TV. I can't tell you how much im on the net and watching TV at the same time..... Oh well

Member #
    Hi all - thanks for the posts. I'm NOT very much of a techie - lag issues aside, is HDMI cable hookup better than component cables? Also, is there anybody out there that doesn't regret Google TV purchase? I got a great deal and thought I'd just pipe Internet content through but have read about ~452 bad reviews...

Ads