GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

Question Google TV Does Not Work with Home Theater Systems and Time Warner Cable.

Has anyone found a solution to using Google TV with Time Warner Cable and a Home Theater System that has an Audio Video Receiver?

1) I upgraded the DVR to a Motorola DCX3400, the best HD DVR availible through Time Warner Cable.
    2) Followed the Google TV Instructions- connected the DVR to the Sony Google TV Blu Ray player, to the AV Receiver to the TV all with HDMI cables.
    3) Issue #1 : The following error "The HD Content Protection of your Repeater has been compromised. All devices connected to the Repeater will not be authorized to receive video over the digital link."
    4) Issue #2: A green screen, and a screen of dots, flash intermittently with the tv picture with no sound.

Has anyone been able to set up Google TV with a Home Theatre System (AV Receiver) and Time Warner Cable per the Google TV Instructions? Any Helpful Ideas?
    Last edited by GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable; 01-01-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: See Attachments of Error

Member #

I too have the same issue

What a pain. Anxious to hear if anyone finds a way around it, otherwise my Google TV is a brick.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Try this out and let me know if it helps..
    Revue Customer Care-Answers

Member #
    As an alternative box you might want to request the box I have with Time Warner: Cisco Explorer 8640HDC. It works GREAT with Google TV!

Member #
    And there is the problem with HDMI. I was reading thats the reason devices like EyeTV HD use Component. And you know what...I really can't tell a difference in quality.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
    And there is the problem with HDMI. I was reading thats the reason devices like EyeTV HD use Component. And you know what...I really can't tell a difference in quality.
    I intend to use component as long as I can (analog) and shun hdmi similarly..and I too cannot tell a visual difference. Exploit the 'analog workaround' as long as possible.

Member #

Exclamation Bad News Confirmed- Google TV Does Not Work with Home Theatre and Time Warner Cable

Bad News Confirmed- Google TV does not work with Home Theatre Systems and Time Warner Cable's HDCP (HD Content Protection). Because Time Warner has custom Firmware on the Motorola DCX3400 that prevents more than 2 devices from receiving a digital signal. Hence when you connect the TimeWarner DVR with HDMI Cables to the Sony Blu Ray Player with Google TV then your Home Theatre AV Receiver... Your HDTV the signal is blocked rendering Google TV Live TV Useless.

Time Warner Tech Support confirmed there is no firmware update to resolve this issue. I just returned the Google TV Sony Blu Ray Player to Best Buy and suggest you do the same as you cannot get the advantages of Google TV, Surround Sound and HDTV together if you your service provider is Time Warner Cable. Hope this info saves you 3 days of tech support calls.

Thanks Sparkyscott- After multiple calls to Time Warner, Motorola, and Google TV Support, I can confirm this is correct:

Certain Motorola set-top boxes (Motorola DCX3200, DCX3400, DCT6412, DCH3200, DCT3416, DCH3416) limit the number of downstream HDCP devices to 2 or fewer. Therefore if you have connected your Sony Blu Ray Google TV/ Revue to your AV Receiver and TV using HDMI cables, you may experience the following issues:
    • An HDCP error message is displayed on your TV
    • TV programming is displayed on your TV for a couple of seconds and then you get a green or black image

Member #
    [QUOTE=GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable;3334[SIZE=4]Attention Google TV Product Director- Please save many future consumers time and put a warning on your product. "Google TV does not provide HDMI surround sound with Home Theatre Systems and Time Warner Cable DVRs. Please Let me know if this issue is fixed in a future product release/agreement with Time Warner Cable."][/SIZE]QUOTE]

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Gotta love HDMI! If I could cuss on this forum...

Member #
    Hi everyone,

We're aware that this is a pain point for a lot of users and we're working with the cable operators to get it dealt with. If this is an issue for you, I encourage you to get in touch with your cable providers directly to let them know that this is important to you, and to ask them when a fix will be deployed.

Daniel
    Daniel
    Google TV Team

Ads