GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Expected later in October 2013: LG Google TV update with latest Android Jelly Bean

Member #

Expected later in October 2013: LG Google TV update with latest Android Jelly Bean

I inquired about the status of this press release (LG ELECTRONICS TO UPDATE GOOGLE TV WITH LATEST ANDROID JELLY BEAN OS | LG USA). The press release stated that the update will be available 3rd quarter of 2013. However, the 4th quarter just started. Below is the response:

Response from LG:

Apologies for the delays. I confirmed yesterday that itís still coming -- expected later this month. We will be happy to follow-up directly with you when itís official. Thank you for your patience and for your loyalty to LG Electronics.
    Cordially, John

John I. Taylor
    Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications
    LG Electronics USA, Inc.
    CatfishRivers and bkenyon26 like this.

Member #
    It's "expected" later this month. But nothing is official yet. It was "expected" out in the third quarter also. I know it's coming eventually - but I'll believe it's here when it's officially confirmed. I remember the GTV Honeycomb update missed about 4 or 5 time period "expectations" and was over a year late. IMO relying on a company PR representative's "expectations" as the holy gospel can end up being like the "boy who cried wolf once too often". But good to hear that the update is still coming.....
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 10-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Member #
    yes, October seems to be the time frame im hearing...but we will see

Member #
    I had really been hoping for the update to be available in Q3 as they previously stated, but that announcement was before Chromecast and android KitKat were announced. If the delay means we will have full Chromecast functionality and an update to KitKat, I will be happy for the delay.

Google is rumored to announce the new Nexus phone this month--on the 14th?--and I would not at all be surprised if they announced the GTV update at the same time. Here's hoping!

Member #
    No way you are getting KitKat unless you get the new phone/tablet or go to the store.

Member #
    LG Google TV's will be getting the Update on the 14th!!

i just called LG customer service and while i was on the phone the rep got an email from their training dept telling them that the Jelly Bean update will be out on Oct 14th.

they told me that it did not go much into detail but it mentioned it now supports NDK, will get more premium apps (TED, Evernote, Flipboard, Vudu ???) [they had discribe some app icons for me to guess haha, they didnt know what evernote was.] it will also support some type of Mobile to TV sharing for both Youtube and Netflix. and the LG tV's have some patented 3D tech that will convert 2D video games into 3D, and supposedly it looks better than normal 2D to 3D because it factors in 3D data from the video game.
    HBOgo was deleted...and plex was removed but can be downloaded form Google Play.

sounds promising...hopefully its all true...we will see by Oct 14th.

Member #
    Yeah, I was pretty sure KitKat was wishful thinking!

Glad to get confirmation of the 14th, though, and the inclusion of the chromecast features!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty sure KitKat was wishful thinking!

Glad to get confirmation of the 14th, though, and the inclusion of the chromecast features!
    Chromecast? no no no. well unless you use the word to describe the sharing functions for Youtube and Netflix...
    but its not actual Chromecast, nor was the word chromecast even mentioned. just want to make sure you have realistic expectations.

Member #

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the updates! I was about to figure out who to call at LG when 3Q came and went, but now I'll just wait until at least the 14th.

Although HBO-Go is painful on GTV, I definitely don't want to lose it, so I will take this heads up to heart and sideload some apk backup app to pull the working HBO-Go APK before the update. Hopefully it will still work on JB.

Member #
    yea, its too bad the HBO decided to go and do what it did. because of HBO all of these GTV users are suffering.

Oh and im also going to officially predict that the "Google TV" brand will be changed to "Android TV"...

Ads