GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eferz

Thread: Can't decide if Revue is worth it...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Member #
    5251
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2

    Can't decide if Revue is worth it...

    I found this forum while searching for answers to my questions about the Revue. I posted a similar thread on AndroidForums (where I am a frequent visitor because of my Android smartphone) but I thought I might get a better answer here.

    I currently have the following setup:
    STB => AVR
    PS3 => AVR
    Wii => AVR
    CD => AVR
    HDTV => AVR
    AVR => HDTV

    I have a single HDMI cable connecting HDTV to AVR which carries all video out to the screen and returns audio from the TV to the receiver. I have the option of watching cable TV or local stations via a separate antenna, and both the TV and PS3 offer various streaming services (i.e. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CinemaNow, Vudu, etc.). I use the AVR for all sound output -- I never use the TV speakers.

    I am interested in the $100 Revue because it is my understanding that I would be able to search for a show and have it return all my viewing options (via both TimeWarner and streaming internet sources). However, AFAIK, the Revue does not natively support Vudu and CinemaNow which means that a search would not necessarily return all options I could take advantage of. While I could live without CinemaNow, I have really come to like Vudu -- it is the only service I have found thus far that offers streaming of 3D content which looks fantastic on my LG 55LW5600 HDTV. With the new 3.1 HC software, the added option to download Android market apps is a bonus, especially since I already have quite a collection from 3 years of Android phone use.

    What I would like to know is whether there is a way for the Revue to return results for services available via other hardware options in my setup? Is there an optimal way to connect my various items to make this possible, and can the Revue's keyboard/remote control all my devices (turning the correct devices on for each activity) or will I need to continue using my Harmony remote? Finally, is it worth the $100 for the added capabilities of the Revue, or given my current arsenal of steaming/cable/BluRay options, will the Revue just add complexity?

    I would appreciate any advice you can give to help me decide whether the Revue will answer all my prayers or just add another layer of complexity to my current A/V setup. Thanks.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    394
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,301
    Thanked
    451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    What I would like to know is whether there is a way for the Revue to return results for services available via other hardware options in my setup?
    I am sure this option could be available in the future, since Google TV polls its information from the web and not the necessarily the individual apps nor external set-top boxes for its search results. It gets the channel guide information from i.TV while the Amazon Video OnDemand, Netflix, and HBO Go sites are polled respectively for their content. I'm sure if or when CinemaNow and Vudu becomes compatible with Google TV then it will be added as a source to search.

    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    Is there an optimal way to connect my various items to make this possible, and can the Revue's keyboard/remote control all my devices (turning the correct devices on for each activity) or will I need to continue using my Harmony remote?
    You're going to want to keep the Harmony Remote for those tasks. There's only one Harmony Activity for the Revue and that's "Watch TV" and its only relevant to the Logitech Harmony Smartphone app. You have to think about the Revues input devices as a three device remote. It supports three profiles; a set-top box, AC Receiver, and television. You can however, teach IR commands from different remotes into those profiles to widen your access. I personally use the [Search]+[A-Z,0-9] keys to control seven different IR devices.
    esmith818 likes this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Member #
    5251
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the speedy response.

    Quote Originally Posted by eferz View Post
    You're going to want to keep the Harmony Remote for those tasks. There's only one Harmony Activity for the Revue and that's "Watch TV" and its only relevant to the Logitech Harmony Smartphone app. You have to think about the Revues input devices as a three device remote. It supports three profiles; a set-top box, AC Receiver, and television. You can however, teach IR commands from different remotes into those profiles to widen your access. I personally use the [Search]+[A-Z,0-9] keys to control seven different IR devices.
    Would I be able to use the Harmony remote to turn on the STB/GTV/HDTV combo as an activity and then have the option to use either the Harmony or the GTV keyboard for controlling the various functions?

    Aside from my previously stated pro to GTV (a "collective" search function) can anyone offer other advantages to having GTV in addition to all the options I already have at my disposal? For instance, its offerings of Netflix and AmazonVideo are not pros for me since I already have that functionality between the HDTV and PS3. Even at $100, I have to justify the purchase so that I have an answer when my wife looks at me and shakes her head.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    394
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,301
    Thanked
    451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    Would I be able to use the Harmony remote to turn on the STB/GTV/HDTV combo as an activity and then have the option to use either the Harmony or the GTV keyboard for controlling the various functions?
    Yes, you can use either the Harmony Remote or the GTV keyboard for controlling the various functions. And yes, can Harmony remote to turn on the STB and HDTV combo as an activity; however, the Revue was designed to be always on.

    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    Aside from my previously stated pro to GTV (a "collective" search function) can anyone offer other advantages to having GTV in addition to all the options I already have at my disposal? For instance, its offerings of Netflix and AmazonVideo are not pros for me since I already have that functionality between the HDTV and PS3.
    Well, here is the full list of apps that the Logitech Revue currently has available on GTV 1.0; CNBC Real Time, Gallery, Google Chrome, Loigtech Help Assistant, Logitech Media Player, Logitech ViD HD, Napster, NBA Gametime, Netflix, Pandora, Settings, TV, and Twitter. So, aside from the video conferencing platform that is available on the Logitech Revue, I think your current setup pretty much covers it in one form or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    Even at $100, I have to justify the purchase so that I have an answer when my wife looks at me and shakes her head.
    I personally think it is worth the hundred dollars just to watch her response. But, then again... I don't have to live with her.

    Quote Originally Posted by esmith818 View Post
    Thanks for the speedy response.
    You're welcome. Glad to help.


 

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
  2. How To Decide Which Forum Will Answer Your Question
    By kityldy54 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
  3. Help me decide?
    By eochs in forum Google TV General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
  4. Deeper integration worth Dish boxes
    By sarreq in forum Google TV Feature Wish Lists
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM
  5. Revue now $199!! Worth it?
    By munchkin in forum Logitech Revue
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Search tags for this page

does logitech revue keyboard control all my devices
,
google tv worth it?
,
how can i watch cinemanow on my logitech revue
,

is google tv worth it

,
is logitech revue worth it
,
is the revue worth it
,
is the revue woth it?
,
logitech revue vudu
,
revue is it worth
,
revue worth it
,
revue worth it?
,
vudu google tv
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.