GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Required Internet Speed for Google TV to stream video smoothly

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy Sony Google TV however I was concerned about the what the internet speed requirements were to have a smooth video streaming.
    I have a 3 mbps verizon high speed dsl internet and I can stream videos online at a decent speed on my laptop. But will this speed to sufficient for watching youtube and other flash videos with just as ease that I can with my laptop?.. on wifi ?

Your thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey there, I have found that HD streaming 720p needs a minimum of 3-4Mbps and 1080p needs 6-10Mbps. Comcast now as of 7-2-2011 is 15Mbps for the standard Bandwidth speed that's up from 12Mbps. If you go with a 4G carrier (Sprint)(Verizon)(AT&T) you will be looking at 4-12Mbps depending on how close you are to a 4G tower. Now T-mobile just announced they will have 12-42Mbps, if you are one of the lucky people to live in one of the 56 Markets to get updated speeds then go with them.

Member #
    I have the Comcast 'economy' internet plan and I currently have a download speed of 1.5 mbps. I have found that is fine for watching standard definition Flash videos (including YouTube, PBS, etc.) I can even watch HD videos by pausing the video for a few minutes and letting it buffer. As for as page loading speed (when web browsing) I have seen numerous posts by Google TV users that have speeds over 15mbps and they still complain about their web pages loading slow. This is due to the outdated Chrome 5 web browser with Google TV and NOT due to internet speeds. This is why for now I only have an economy internet plan. HD video is not that important to me so I don't feel the need to waste money on faster internet when it won't help my web pages load faster. After the 3.1 Update I'll probably try a faster internet package and compare it to the slower package. Note: My area is migrating to Comcast digital on July 21st and they tell me that all levels of their internet service will be faster after the digital migration. So it will be interesting to compare it. Also I'm in an area where I can get Verizon Fios so I might end up getting Fios AFTER Google TV upgrades their service.

Member #
    Hey thanks alot lucas710 and CatfishRivers, I really appreciate you sharing that information with me. So I would probably stick with my 3 mbps internet plan and see how it works with that before I go buy more expensive internet plans just for Google TV

Member #
    I have had no probs with 1mbps verizon DSL with SD for last 5 months.. JUSTIN TV channels and Veetle.com are my favorites. for HD content i download from file sharing sites overnight and watch it next day in HD by streaming it from my laptop.

but fell in love with HD and next month will be switching to comcast 15mbps package. coz i found so many sites(thx to catfishrivers) with HD content & its worth it. if you are fine with 360p youtube and other SD content(including live sport streaming) then you will be happy with what you have.

.....waiting for the 3.1 summer update

Ads