GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

How To: Hacking The Chromebox For Maximum Performance

How to: Hacking the Chromebox for maximum performance (click for full article)

"Google’s forward push with Chrome OS has been slow and steady. They’ve released several new pieces of hardware, giving companies more options to choose from. Most recently, Samsung and Google offered a desktop solution with the Chromebox Series 3.

This $330 small form-factor desktop is quite the package. It offers tons I/O, including a pair of HDMI ports and DVI, 4GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i5 CPU, making this Chromebox significantly more powerful than previous Chrome OS hardware. Still, with a piece of hardware like the Chromebox, you begin to wonder what is actually going on in that little box.

Breaking into the Chromebox

I was beyond surprised to find that it requires absolutely no effort to open the Chromebox. You don’t need tools, and you don’t really even need to know what you are doing. The bottom pan pulls right off, it’s not even held in with clips. As far as I could tell, there’s not a single “warranty VOID if removed” stickers anywhere on the device, so I decided to take a further look and see what was going on.

Once I opened the cover, I could see that everything on the board was mounted with regular Phillips screws. No special tools needed — you could take the Chromebox apart with an eyeglass repair kit if you wanted to."
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Member #
    Chromebooks, Chromeboxes to get free 100 GB of Drive space? — Mobile Technology News (click for full article)

"Updated. With only 16 GB of local storage, the newest Google Chromebook may appear limited to some. Of course, the Chromebook is meant to be a web-connected device that can lean on near limitless cloud storage. In fact, it works quite well in that use case. But you still have to buy that storage; at least once you use up your free 5 GB on Google Drive. Or do you?

It appears that Google is planning a Drive promotion for the current generation of Chromebooks and Chromeboxes that will provide 100 GB of free storage. According to the Chromestory site, various code bits from the Chromium OS open source project that Google’s Chrome OS is based on suggests these Google devices will see the option to get the free storage space on Google Drive, which as of earlier this month, is integrated directly into the Chrome OS. When I open the File Manager on my Series 5 550 Chromebook, for example, I see both the Downloads folder and my entire Google Drive contents. I can even choose to mark some of my Drive storage files for offline use."
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 08-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Ads