GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: slow Speed Test, but not my network?

Member #

slow Speed Test, but not my network?

Hi newbie here. I have a Sony TV for the last week and the internet streaming is totally choppy, so of course, I look at my network. From the settings area, I can see my wireless N network connection and it is listed at 130mbps.....so far so good. Now when I do a speedtest.net test I get 2mbps.

If I hook the TV via a wire, the same speed test with the same setting 1 minute later will result in 25mbps speed. Finally, my old laptop wirelessly connected also attains speeds in that 25mbps range.

Any ideas why the Sony would suck so bad in bandwidth?

Thanks in advance,

metrichead

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by metrichead View Post
    Any ideas why the Sony would suck so bad in bandwidth?
    Hard to say why. There could be plethora of reasons why your wireless connection isn't up to par on your end. Here are my tested wireless connections. As you can see, my NSX-24GT1 is the fastest out of my four wireless devices. Btw, when you press on the seach button, there's a wireless symbol on the bottom middle beside the time. How many bars do you have? In my test below, I only have one bar.

Sony Google TV with 5Ghz Wireless N

Laptop with 2.4Ghz Wireless G

iPad with 5Ghz Wireless N

iPhone 3GS with 2.4Ghz Wireless G
    Last edited by eferz; 09-10-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Member #
    You get speedtest.net to work for you? Everytime I go there with the Sony TV it says I need the latest flash player.

And sorry I cant help with your speed issue, but are you saying the 25mbps is slower than what you expect since you mentioned 130mbps? Or is the 25mbps what you believe you should be getting while connected wirelessly? 1stly... damn! if you have a 130mbps internet connection then that is great, I don't even get 1/10th that. And more on point, is the TV far from the router? Cause distance usually affects connection speed.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    You get speedtest.net to work for you? Everytime I go there with the Sony TV it says I need the latest flash player.
    Yep, it runs just fine. I'm running firmware 2.1-update1 build# ogm_2.1_2011071201ON.165187

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    And sorry I cant help with your speed issue, but are you saying the 25mbps is slower than what you expect since you mentioned 130mbps? Or is the 25mbps what you believe you should be getting while connected wirelessly? 1stly... damn! if you have a 130mbps internet connection then that is great, I don't even get 1/10th that.
    I suspect that 130Mbps is the connected rate which his wireless network is connecting, and his issue is the 2Mbps speed which he has tested as opposed to the 25Mbps using Ethernet.

Member #
    Eferz you exactly have it right. I am getting 2mbps on the TV while my laptop sitting next to it (all within3 ft of router) is getting 25mbps via speedtest.

The TV says it has a 130mbps connection to the network.

BTW, how did you get a screenshot of your TV screen's speedtest.net?

Member #
    Eferz you exactly have it right. I am getting 2mbps on the TV while my laptop sitting next to it (all within3 ft of router) is getting 25mbps via speedtest.

The TV says it has a 130mbps connection to the network.
    Have you tried changing the channel which your wireless access point uses to broadcast the network? Or perhaps reduce the number of radio compatibility it is using? When I first set up my Sony Internet TV, I realized it achieved the best performance when I set the access point to only use 5Ghz Wireless N spectrum, so I picked up a seperate access point for mix mode access.

BTW, how did you get a screenshot of your TV screen's speedtest.net?
    Those aren't screenshots, they're the .png images which you can link from using the "share" button on the Speedtest.net site after performing a test.

Btw, here is the results from my:

PC connected via Gigabit Ethernet

Logitech Revue via Gigabit Ethernet

I guess these beat even the Sony Google TV, though they are wired directly to the router.
    Last edited by eferz; 09-10-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Member #
    I had a Sony Media Player...
    I'm on Comcast.
    I was told by Sony that my box couldn't "understand" Comcast's "Speed-boost" technology
    By chance, are you on Comcast?

Member #
    I am having exactly the same problem on Comcast. I average about 20meg download on my laptop and iphone but barely get 2 or 3 on my 24" sony google tv. Anyone know what I can do about this?

Member #
    I'm sorry to say this - but IMO Comcast is notorious for having all kinds of GTV "compatibility" issues. Trying to get their Xfinity streaming web site to work with GTV is a joke. Of course they claim that they are not intentionally blocking GTV - it's just that they set up technical stuff, streaming codecs, internet boost, etc that doesn't work with GTV. It seems to me if that wanted to play friendly with GTV - that they could make a lot of this stuff work.

All I can think of right now is try clearing your cache and closing any open windows before you try the speed test. If I think of something else I'll post it later.

Member #
    I use Comcast Xfinity 6Mbps service with Google TV and I am not having any issues.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Ads