GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

External Speakers

Trying to connect a Bose Wave Radio as external speakers for a 24" Sony set. I tried using the mini plug connection on the back, but could never get the TV to accept the radio as an auxiliary amplifier.

Then I tried the headphone jack on the left side of the set, and it doesn't seem to have any output. The set recognizes that something is plugged in, and shows the supposed headphone volume onscreen, but there is no signal. No sound when I plug in a set of earbuds either.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jwr108 View Post
    Trying to connect a Bose Wave Radio as external speakers for a 24" Sony set. I tried using the mini plug connection on the back, but could never get the TV to accept the radio as an auxiliary amplifier.

Then I tried the headphone jack on the left side of the set, and it doesn't seem to have any output. The set recognizes that something is plugged in, and shows the supposed headphone volume onscreen, but there is no signal. No sound when I plug in a set of earbuds either.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    The black mini-plugs on the back of the television are for the IR blasters not headphones or external audio. The green mini-plug on the left side of the television is the headphones jack. If you can't hear anything through your headphones while plugged into the left side of the television then it is probably its broken or not plugged in all the way.

Make sure you turn the volume up because it is a variable output jack. I couldn't barely hear anything until I reached about 25-30 on the volume slide with the headphone symbol. The Bose Radio is probably expecting a fixed volume output instead of a variable so you may have to turn it up quite a bit for it to work.

Does your Bose Wave Radio have Optical Inputs?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eferz View Post
    The black mini-plugs on the back of the television are for the IR blasters not headphones or external audio. The green mini-plug on the left side of the television is the headphones jack. If you can't hear anything through your headphones while plugged into the left side of the television then it is probably its broken or not plugged in all the way.

Make sure you turn the volume up because it is a variable output jack. I couldn't barely hear anything until I reached about 25-30 on the volume slide with the headphone symbol. The Bose Radio is probably expecting a fixed volume output instead of a variable so you may have to turn it up quite a bit for it to work.

Does your Bose Wave Radio have Optical Inputs?
    Thanks. I didn't realize that both of the black jacks on the back were for IR blasters that certainly explains that!

As for the headphone jack, I've tried several different earbuds & headphones, and get no sound out of any of them. As I said, the set recognizes that something's plugged in, but still no sound. I guess the jack could be broken brand new set, but it could be.

No optical input on the radio, but I guess I could get an adapter.

On the other hand, the onboard speakers aren't too bad just looking for bigger sound for Pandora, etc.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jwr108 View Post
    As for the headphone jack, I've tried several different earbuds & headphones, and get no sound out of any of them. As I said, the set recognizes that something's plugged in, but still no sound. I guess the jack could be broken brand new set, but it could be.
    Make sure you've raised the volume levels with headphones plugged in because the output seemed rather low to the volume scale. If the jack is broken then it is better you replace it know while it's within the warranty period.For bigger sound without investing in an actual AV Receiver, you might consider purchasing computer speaker system with digital optical inputs.

Ads