GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #

Rovi guide wont load.

Hi guys I just got a sony 46in google tv. I have been eager to use the guide and I finally figured out how to set it up. It say will take 24 hrs to load the listings. A week later and it still isnt working it says can only update 48hrs of listings please change your settings. What settings am I supposed to change?? Not very clear hope to get this to work(directions suck on this tv!)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mike814 View Post
    Hi guys I just got a sony 46in google tv. I have been eager to use the guide and I finally figured out how to set it up. It say will take 24 hrs to load the listings. A week later and it still isnt working it says can only update 48hrs of listings please change your settings. What settings am I supposed to change?? Not very clear hope to get this to work(directions suck on this tv!)
    Try performing a factory reset as described in this thread: "Guide" hasn't worked since oct. '11 update?

Member #
    I've tried the factory reset with no luck. Still says about only being able to update 48hrs of listings.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mike814 View Post
    I've tried the factory reset with no luck. Still says about only being able to update 48hrs of listings.
    Mine didn't work after a couple factory resets. However, a few days later they just magically appeared to work. I have no idea how that came to be.

Member #
    Hmm ill have to keep trying. I have tv hooked up to my computer and its soo nice having a guide to look at to see whats on. I would be 100% happy with this tv if the guide would work

Member #
    I've found out that when i rescanned my channels it loaded them in the Rovi guide then the next day info showed up. That's all you have to do.

Sent from my MoPho!

Member #
    I've reset the guide. I've factory reset the TV. I've done everything but take it back to the store. With the ability to do Apps WHY doesn't it allow me to download the TV Guide App that I have on my Android phone???

That would solve the ROVI guide never working.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MSPMP View Post
    I've reset the guide. I've factory reset the TV. I've done everything but take it back to the store. With the ability to do Apps WHY doesn't it allow me to download the TV Guide App that I have on my Android phone???

That would solve the ROVI guide never working.
    The Rovi guide is actually something outside of the Google TV offering. It's a Sony value add and not something that I would consider stable. If you read the past posts some times it just starts working for no reason. However, you should still be able to use the Sear ch button or the TV & Movies app to find shows regardless if the Rovi guide is working or not. They get their channel guide information from i.TV so the Rovi Guide isn't necessary for them to work.

Member #
    Like i said in the post above resetting the TV or the guide alone won't do anything to solve your problem you need to go into the menu off the TV too channels and reset three provider and then have the TV Rescan for channels using the auto scan change the guide from Rovi to network provided for a moment then change back to rovi before doing the channel scan and than should solve your problem.

Sent from my MoPho!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by abrcrmdl23 View Post
    Like i said in the post above resetting the TV or the guide alone won't do anything to solve your problem you need to go into the menu off the TV too channels and reset three provider and then have the TV Rescan for channels using the auto scan change the guide from Rovi to network provided for a moment then change back to rovi before doing the channel scan and than should solve your problem.
    You actually didn't write that, you're original post was much more vague and brief.

Quote Originally Posted by abrcrmdl23 View Post
    I've found out that when i rescanned my channels it loaded them in the Rovi guide then the next day info showed up. That's all you have to do.
    Besides, your instructions seems like more like "voodoo" than science. I suspect that your Rovi Guide Data was updated updated coincidentally rather than incidental to your intervention. Especially, since I did not of that and a few days later my guide information was updated. So, I decided to do a little research and found out some related information from the Rovi support site. (Rovi - Consumer Electronic Guide Issues)

Initial Setup
    • Be careful to enter your current Zip Code and to select the exact signal service you subscribe to. This is how the Guide feeds you precise listings for your TV.
    • If the TV Guide On Screen system system is built into a recorder, please leave the recorder off for 24 hours after you have completed setup to ensure prompt receipt of initial listings.
    Q: How long does it take to receive updated program information?

Answer: TV Guide On Screen data is transmitted at varying times, usually four times per day, and the cycles last approximately three (3) hours. The TV Guide On Screen system only requires one transmission a day to maintain up-to-date program listings. Because the product must be powered off in order to receive new information, multiple transmissions are conveniently scheduled during morning and early afternoon hours.
    It seems that the setting at Live TV > Guide > Settings > Guide Settings > Edit General Guide Settings > Update Listings Overnight: On/Off is a little counter-intuitive. Because if set it "On" and you watch television at night then you're most likely to miss the update cycle as described above. It is probably best to set it up according to when you expect the television to be off to catch one of update cycles.

If you check: Live TV > Guide > Settings > Guide Information Screen then there's a few items you want to verify.
    • Setup Complete: This is the date that you completed the guide configuration. This is related to when you setup the guide configuration either through the new configuration wizard or manually through the GTV Settings > TV Sources > Edit Configured Devices > Built-in TV Tuner.
    • Setup Zipcode and Current Zipcode: This is the relative zipcode which bases your local provider and content.
    • Device 0, "RF Input": This is chosen lineup provider who's guide data will be downloaded.
    • Data Rx Method: This is the guide data reception method, "GP_DATA_RX_METHOD_TUNER" is received through OTA antenna.
    • Listings DL Comp: This is the last day and time the last guide data was fully downloaded. So, if you're guide data isn't current, you'll want to make sure that the television is powered off during that time. Note: all times are listed as UTC which is (GMT+0).
    It seems to me, my experience with the update closely matches the technical support pages. Sunday was the day I found the guide data updated. It happened to be the weekend which I spent mostly away from home. Therefore, I hadn't turned on the television for more than 36 hours after the factory reset which was performed on Wednesday. That's more likely why the Rovi Guide data finally got updated.

Ads