GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tuner?

Member #

Tuner?

Hello
    I just ordered Sony GTV. Can't wait to get it!
    I need some help on how I should set it up
    I'd like to use it on my older Panny Plasma (that I plan on moving into our spare room for the kids to play wii, watch movies, ect)
    but the monitor doesn't have a tuner

I planned on using GTV with our free basic cable and ota

I can rent a box from the cable company for $10 a month
    but I was trying to avoid this...

Any suggestions ?
    Reading here I see some are using the older Tivo's with HDMI (which model?)
    and I saw the post on the Channel Master CM-7000PAL with Revu's
    Anything else ? preferably something smaller + works w/ Sony's remote

Oh, also want to mention, that right now, I had to install Comcasts DTA on couple of our TV's so
    we would get All the basic channels

Appreciate any assistance

Member #
    nothing much. power it, connect to internet by LAN or wifi, ON SCREEN interface will walk you through the settings, its easy. that's it. The Android OS will update automatically, ON screen help is good, they don't come with bulky user manual. Don't see this as a regular TV, this is a big size smartphone with TV built-in . It has a built-in 4GB memory too, you can store your picture, music, etc...use an ordinary $10 Philips OTA antenna that you get in walmart, that works good, I am in Plano,TX , here I get about 35 OTA channels. I have NSX40GT1.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by snook789 View Post
    Hello
    I just ordered Sony GTV. Can't wait to get it!
    I need some help on how I should set it up
    I'd like to use it on my older Panny Plasma (that I plan on moving into our spare room for the kids to play wii, watch movies, ect)
    but the monitor doesn't have a tuner
    I'm slightly confused since you posted in the Google Television sub-forums. Did you buy the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player or an actual Sony Google TV television? I'm not clear how you would use the later with the Panasonic Plasma Television.

I planned on using GTV with our free basic cable and ota. I can rent a box from the cable company for $10 a month but I was trying to avoid this... Any suggestions?
    Since most (if not all) of Comcast's channels are encrypted you're going to probably have to purchase a TV tuner that has HDMI output and CableCard slot. There aren't that many out there. The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are the Tivo Premiere and the Tivo HD Series 3 (TCD652160). Using the CableCard will require you to subscribe to Tivo's service. However, they do have a Lifetime option that allows you pay for a one time fee instead of having a monthly subscription. There is also a $100 discount on the Lifetime with the PLSR promotional code if you're interested in that route.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply guys!
    eferz, so sorry, yes I posted in the wrong forum
    I was reading about the Sony Tv's w/ Google, and how those with Comcast DTA's needed two remotes....
    I guess I didn't exit out and navigate to the correct forum b4 posting.
    I bought the NSZ-GT1
    Please move

I really like our Tivo Premiere. I looked at getting a 2nd one, and Tivo charges $15 a month for the 2nd receiver, then the fee Comcast charges for the CableCard....
    It made me search for alternatives...
    Last edited by snook789; 12-01-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Member #
    I really like our Tivo Premiere. I looked at getting a 2nd one, and Tivo charges $15 a month for the 2nd receiver, then the fee Comcast charges for the CableCard....
    Actually you have other choices:

2. Which TiVo Payment Plans Are Available?

A. At the time of activation of a service plan, you can pay for a subscription to the TiVo service on a monthly or prepaid basis. Promotional Pricing may also be available from time-to-time. TiVo reserves the right to terminate the offer of Promotional Pricing at any time without notice.

B. You may purchase a subscription to the TiVo Service in one of the following ways:
    (i) For TiVo Premiere boxes:
    (a) When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box and subscription at the same time directly from TiVo, you may select one of the following options:
    (1) You may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle with (a) a box fee of $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box and (b) a monthly service fee of $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99; or

(2) You may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle at (a) the full MSRP (no instant savings) box fee of $299.99 for a TiVo Premiere box or $499.99 for a TiVo Premiere XL box and (b) subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with no commitment (renews monthly until you cancel) when you order by phone.

(b) When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box from a third party retailer at $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box, you may only subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99.

(ii) When purchasing a TiVo Premiere Elite box from TiVo directly or from a third party retailer at $499.99, you may only subscribe to the TiVo service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with no commitment or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99.

(iii) For all other TiVo boxes, you may subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with no commitment or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99.
    Subscriptions Eligible for Multi-Service Discount
    1. Discounted TiVo Service Fee. The MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT reduces the $19.99 Monthly TiVo service subscription to $14.99 per month, the $12.95 Monthly TiVo service subscription fee to $9.95 per month, and the $499.99 Product Lifetime service subscription to $399.99, while in compliance with all applicable Initial Qualification and General Eligibility requirements on new eligible TiVo service subscription activations (not existing TiVo service subscriptions). Only new full-priced $19.99 or $12.95 monthly TiVo service or Product Lifetime service subscription activations are eligible to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
    I may be reading this wrong but it seems that you could buy a Tivo HD series 3 then you'd only have to pay $9.95 per month with your Multi-Service Discount. However, I personally prefer the one time charge of the lifetime service. Especially, since it raises the resell value of your Tivo and you save the money in the long run.

Ads