GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Welcome to the Vizio Co-Star Forum!

Administrator
    Member #

Welcome to the Vizio Co-Star Forum!

Welcome to the latest addition of GoogleTVForum.org dedicated to the Vizio Co-Star GoogleTV box! Anyone planning on getting one of these?
    revue5 likes this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Sweet, I hope this box sells well. Vizio makes good gear at a good price.
    revue5 likes this.
    Discuss everything Google TV related @ Google TV Forums - Register Today!

Member #
    Looks interesting, here is a link for overview & Specs.

Video & some Specs - here.
    Last edited by revue5; 06-28-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Member #
    No plans to purchase here but of course if it turns out to be a must have product, as good as the new Sony box at half the price, that could change. My best guess based on what little I know now, the Sony will be worth the premium, just as the first Sony box, the NSZ-GT1 was worth the premium compared to the Revue, I know that given hindsight and owning both but that wasn't easy to know at the start. Fortunately for my needs, the differences aren't great and both are good deals for me, just the Sony is the better product and will be the better value over the long run.

Possible differences that could make the Sony NSZ-GS7 worth the premium and make the Vizio box irrelevant for me.

1. Better processor.
    2. More RAM.
    3. MPEG-2 handling.
    4. DTS handling.
    5. Backlit remote.
    6. Better firmware updates (very important and Sony will be much better unless I miss my guess).
    7. Installed apps included.
    8. Bigger selection of codecs and formats supported.

Of course I don't know the differences yet but I don't see how Vizio can make the same box at half the price so I expect several of the above to be part of the explanation, which ones won't be clear until the devices have been in consumer's hands for a while. Once all of the differences are known, then it will easy to make an informed decision. I do have a Vizio LCD HDTV and have nothing against the company but reading about their Blu-ray players makes me believe this box won't be the killer deal compared to the Sony box some think it is now.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Well I'm definitely looking to buy another internet device.

Currently my only internet device is the Logitech Revue - so I want to have some kind of backup in case my Revue goes kaput.

The thing that would hold me back from buying the new Vizio GTV box is the tiny keys on the small controller.

Overall I've been pleased with my Revue - although I was disappointed that my Revue wasn't able to download the new 3.2 update. No big deal really - as it's working fine on the 3.1 update. I really like the keyboard that comes with the Revue. So I might even just buy another Revue.

I need to see if Vizio will make an optional keyboard available for their new GTV box.

I had also considered purchasing the new Google Nexus tablet and connecting it to my TV - however upon further research I found out that the Nexus tablet doesn't have an HDMI port.
    Last edited by CatfishRivers; 06-28-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    My web-mix (bookmarks) for GTV content. (In order to view all available content set GTV user agent to "generic"):

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/googletvcontent

Member #
    Has google mentioned any GTV product during I/O so far?? This is a 2 day conference..right?

Member #
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Has google mentioned any GTV product during I/O so far?? This is a 2 day conference..right?
    I tuned into a Google TV developers conference of some kind for a little while then needed to leave and by the time I got back, it was either over or my Google I/O app didn't find it. There was mention day 1 of Sirius/XM being added. Overall, no question but that the Nexus products and Chromebook and a few other things Google got much more attention than Google TV.

I don't think that conference is important, all that is important is that the new Google TV products are big improvements of the original Google TV products and the products sell well.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CatfishRivers View Post
    Well I'm definitely looking to buy another internet device.

Currently my only internet device is the Logitech Revue - so I want to have some kind of backup in case my Revue goes kaput.

The thing that would hold me back from buying the new Vizio GTV box is the tiny keys on the small controller.

Overall I've been pleased with my Revue - although I was disappointed that my Revue wasn't able to download the new 3.2 update. No big deal really - as it's working fine on the 3.1 update. I really like the keyboard that comes with the Revue. So I might even just buy another Revue.

I need to see if Vizio will make an optional keyboard available for their new GTV box.3

I had also considered purchasing the new Google Nexus tablet and connecting it to my TV - however rupon further research I found out that the Nexus tablet doesn't have an HDMI port.
    The fullsize Revue keyboard is great in my opinion as well. I would think the new Google TV boxes can use the keyboard, I picked up my fourth K700 keyboard for $28 recently. I have a PC connected to an HDTV which I don't much like to use but for the sites that block Google TV, it is used and adding the keyboard made it a lot better and easier to use. I haven't put the 4th one to use yet but I might see how well it works with my Sony NSZ-GT1 since the only thing I prefer about the Revue over the Sony box is the keyboard.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by revue5 View Post
    Looks interesting, here is a link for overview & Specs.

Video & some Specs - here.
    Indication is only 1 USB port, does the new Sony have 2?
    revue5 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG8 View Post
    Indication is only 1 USB port, does the new Sony have 2?
    I just confirmed the Sony box does have 2 USB ports.

Ads