GoogleTVForum.org is the largest Google TV/Android TV Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How hot is too hot?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post
    if their own tech support staff is admitting to having over heating issues.. then i will take their word for it.. if you go too cheap on parts and dont have better heat sinks or vents or any other method of conductive cooling then... yes things will over heat,, but i did a google search on costar and over heat.. and it seems to be a problem... if their own tech support saying "well you have to turn it off more often" thats not a solution.. im leaving it there.. because thatDataTronics fanboi will hop on this thread any time now and start saying well strap a big fan to it... im not sure why amazon allows such huge wads of spam to be posted in the review section... but man it just makes this google tv forum look... well what ever... i know i tried one out... hated it... and i know that there is more then a few reports of the vizio tech support saying that they know about the heat issues and the answer is to turn off the machine,,,, sure.. if its over heating well you need to turn it off... seem like good advice to me..
    but why is it overheating? well according to some it will not over heat according to others it will... but according to vizio.. its a known issue..
    Subjective hearsay, nothing that would sway me. A telephone customer service rep may have said those things, a true technician would never make those vague claims, a true technician would offer a real explanation, not statements like those. Again if you can point me to an online memorandum from Vizio with proper peer review I can read and understand, I could be convinced. Those are exactly the type of hearsay claims I have read on products I do own and I consider the claims hogwash. Should the device be placed in a proper location and avoid doing things that will cause overheating? I accept that is true. If you are the type to accept whatever you hear from unskilled telephone support or read on the internet, there are no limits to what you will believe.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlszone View Post
    I take my cues from some of the most die-hard fans of the Vizio Co-Star. While they love the device, many have posted using various cooling fans. One guy posted that he has his unit sitting on a fan. Hey, these are the ones who believe their unit is superior to all others.

I can't help but take them at their word...

Carl
    If you are the type that likes to understand and see proof, you can help but take them at their word. I didn't buy the rah, rah enthusiastic claims and I don't buy the claims of overheating without a proper explanation. Did they place it on top of an AV receiver? Closed up in a cabinet?
    Carlszone likes this.
    Den - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/1.16TB, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1, Vizio Co-Star, Roku LT, Chromecast
    MBR - TCD652160 TiVoHD OTA Lifetime/660GB, Oppo BDP-80, LG BD590, Sony NSZ-GT1, Roku 2 XS
    Home Theater - TCD746320 TiVo Premiere Lifetime/2TB, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Sony NSZ-GT1, Alienware M15x Intel i7-740QM, Roku 2 XS

Member #
    Dude, I really don't know where you are going w/this. The average user of any device always denies any problems w/their chosen device. When XBox 360 came out and the freezing while playing games was first revealed, the whole forum went ballistic on the first posters. Until the issue could no longer be denied folks castigated those few intrepid souls who dared to post complaints about devices many stood in two day lines to get.

It is really this simple, I enjoy GTV. I'm not overly impressed w/the attempts being made in the next gen units. But each attempt brings us closer to the ideal GTV unit. I would never compare GTVs rate of progression w/the new Android devices & mini-PCs. That would be an unfair comparison. Each platform performs a very different purpose. W/android ya get a much more diverse functionality w/Apps & media compatibility. But ya lose the basic purpose of GTV. Our cable box or TIVO pass-through intergration is the number 1 entertainment syncing feature that allows most users to overlook many shortcomings.

Overheating is not a kill factor in my book. So what that ya need to use an external cooling source. Big deal. But, sorry, it just isn't a step forward. Each new GTV device manufacturer must learn from the mistakes of the past. Not create new headaches for the future.

Geeze, most Vizio users are just now experiencing for the first time the dang quick guide, which the now discontinued Logitech Revue received in or around November.

One step forward, two steps back...

LOL!

Thanks

Carl

Member #
    The vents are underneath it, so never set it on thick cloth where it can't breathe; ventilate properly. I put mine on a flat pot or glass coaster holder; and I also put the thick felt stick-on pads under it to raise it up a bit. I called Vizio support number by phone and they said to keep it turned backwards so that you can see the white power light and turn it off when it's not in use (Vizio acknowledges heat issues). This box is still the best one out there, in my opinion; and so I'm keeping mine until the next model comes out which will correct these issues. My retired mother is glued to this thing; and it keeps her out of my hair. She's watching some England soap opera series that she found on Netflix. I see her maybe 5 minutes per day, since I bought it.
    Last edited by plac; 02-09-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Member #
    There ya go!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlszone View Post
    There ya go!
    So, like any consumer electronics device, it needs to be placed properly, handled properly. There you go, no overheating issue, exactly the same as all three of mine. I can mishandle, improperly place each of my three and all will overheat. Sony and Logitech will acknowledge that fact, it will overheat if used improperly. If Vizio has acknowledged a defect, show me the statement of fact or show me a recall notice, show me something other than this hearsay nonsense that gets repeated. Read the reports by individuals owning the Vizio Co-Star, different stories, one says, turn it off, don't leave it on for long periods. Another says point it backwards, another says turn it upside down, someone else without one suggests it is shaped like a hockey puck, therefore it must overheat.

I could go on with the inconsistent nonsense being reported, what I am asking to see is a technical explanation showing it is defective, will overheat because of a design flaw or defective materials. When problems are real, those are the kind of explanations one should seek, not place value on this mishmash of urban legends, pseudo science, silly suggestions to avoid the problem, and conflicting reports of causes and solutions.

Required proper setup is not proof of an overheating issue. I read reports of overheating for all three models I own, total hogwash in my opinion, I can easily place my three and avoid overheating and I have seen nothing that distinguishes the Co-Star from mine, not the type of information I need to see to accept there is a unique problem. The more I ask for a real explanation, the more hearsay, silly stories I see in response. There may be a real explanation of a real problem somewhere, I sure can't find it discussed in this thread.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG8 View Post
    Subjective hearsay, nothing that would sway me. A telephone customer service rep may have said those things, a true technician would never make those vague claims, a true technician would offer a real explanation, not statements like those. Again if you can point me to an online memorandum from Vizio with proper peer review I can read and understand, I could be convinced. Those are exactly the type of hearsay claims I have read on products I do own and I consider the claims hogwash. Should the device be placed in a proper location and avoid doing things that will cause overheating? I accept that is true. If you are the type to accept whatever you hear from unskilled telephone support or read on the internet, there are no limits to what you will believe.
    thats the way the net works... its all just hearsay.. you will not find a definitive study on the affects of heat on inferior heatsink applications for the vizio box... its just not for your eyes.. you have to take a median score of the zelots who say "the co-star is now a nuclear powered ufo of unprecedented streaming awsome-ness" and the folks who say "its a big box of pig vomit (that overheats)".. You may say the tech support is unskilled but you have nothing to back that accusation... its just your feeling... they may very well know full well the short comings of such a device... i have worked tech support and we had memos that said "if the customer mentions this follow this script" putting a device that creates too much thermal heat for the heat sink to drawl away in fresh clean open air will help... but it will not fix the problem, an air current needs to be created some how to move that heat away... and that why a fan works.... before i buy anything i do research... when i saw that the new google boxes were going to be passive with the new chip... i saw it as a red flag.. im not going to debate this.. i have read enough accounts by folks who own these to see that a fan is a better idea... and if you are going to crunch big files like 1080p,, the thermal heat will increase... so thats another var... perhaps if all the content you view is not HD.. but anyway if you want to say that all the tech support is unskilled telephone support..... well where is your proof in that accusation.. seems like a huge generalization.. can you show me your study or the data graphs that support such a hypothesis.. what ever its the net the only way to do research on such things is take the pulse of the thing... read accounts and counter claims and then make your decision.....

mho... the 100 dollar price point of the 2nd gen boxes is just too cheap to make solid running streaming box.. you cut corners in size or heat sink application, you get the whyfi too close to some other element on the board.. or worse of all you go too cheap on materials for the input device... cheap plastics bad tactile feel or un responsive key input.... the long term fatigue cycle of such passive cooled devices is yet to be seen.. but thats just my opinion...

and with that you may have the last word... i have lost interest in this and all the blather... google tv is kinda boring now..
    this Signature has been censored....

Member #
    Lol!

Geeze, I really need another GTV device. And I want it w/the Quick Guide. My Logitech Revue can control 3 TVs in different rooms, but I'm tired of having to take the keyboard w/me wherever I go. I like hand held remotes. I once loved the MSNTV 2 for that very reason until I couldn't freaking visit any site that was compatible w/that colossal failure. Look, we may argue here, but what is the GTV device you would be willing to suggest to the novice PC or Internet user.

I know internet settop users often make the mistake of thinking that everybody is connected. But there is a huge part of America that is experiencing all these devices & cell phones for the very first time. My first cell phone encounter was in 1987. My first internet connection was as late as 2003 on Webtv.

I'm not arguing in any threads I post in for the sake of arguing. I'm just saying these companies can do better. We already gave em our monetary support. All too often they give us the boot. Most of the time w/no explanation other than that they didn't meet market expectations. Well, what do they think we feel w/a newly unsupported device?

These corporations in any court of law are treated as individual citizens. But there is never a real person behind the Wizard of OZ veil. So please don't make my head explode on the non-essentials of this platform as concerns the average user. All users want is a simple device that can stream media from all sources and use social media at will. No one wants to reinvent the internet, but if it can be done, hell, Google may just do it.

But how do ya market it...

Carl

Member #
    I didn't realize the Logitech Revue supported 3 televisions. How so? Those special wireless USB or HDMI sticks that Logitech is so famous for? Thanks in advance...

Member #
    Are you kidding me?

I don't think this is the thread for this discussion. I'm a bad boy, but I'm not invulnerable to the ramifications of high-jacking a thread. LOL! Post anywhere ya like and I'll see it.

Later

Carl

Ads