Quantcast

Amazon Instant Videos in HD?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by cpbergie, Jan 3, 2013.

1. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

Is there a way to watch any of the Amazon Instant Videos in HD on the Co-Star right now? It seems that the "app" is just a link to the website, but once I purchase an HD movie, I get a notification saying that i can only play the SD version.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

TV shows are available in HD, movies are not at this point. Apparently the LG Google TV displays have a new Amazon Instant Video native app and those models can now access movies in HD. We are hoping all models will have this ability soon and I am confident at a minimum, the second generation models like the Co-Star will have the app. The timing would be nothing more than a guess and I am pretty sure the reason we haven't had access is a result of DRM concerns.

• Like Like x 2
  3. saeba

saeba Active Member

Yes, I still use my TiVo to watch Amazon movies in HD :)!

4. ChrisG8

Same here, TiVo is the best I have found for that purpose, download and play later with no concerns about other internet users needing bandwidth in the household.

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

I was actually looking into this issue to figure out my best option for my configuration as there are multiple ways to rent/buy movies these days. It still seems that the TiVo and Amazon are the best as Amazon states: "HD movie rentals and HD TV shows can be purchased and downloaded directly from your compatible TiVo DVR. Your HD video will be delivered in 1080i resolution and with 5.1 audio when available."

You can also purchase HD Movies and TV shows via Google Play; however, in my experience, these do not offer 5.1 audio.

As for Netflix, I dropped it - not enough content available via streaming.

Is there some other option that has HD and 5.1 audio for recent movie releases?

6. ChrisG8

My favorite HD streaming service is Vudu, 1080p often with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but Google TV doesn't have Vudu yet. The best option in my opinion for Vudu is a player that will download and play later, I use a PS3 and LG BD590. I don't know if your Dell XPS 8300 can work well with Vudu or not, until very recently Vudu rentals were limited to SD only when using a PC but now many can viewed in 1080p with a PC so it might be a good player for Vudu. I haven't used a PC for Vudu and don't know much about how well it works, I rent 2 or 3 movies most months, always selecting from the daily 99 cent rentals.

• Like Like x 2
  7. saeba

saeba Active Member

Thanks for the info! My Dell is hooked up to a secondary TV and not my main home theater, so it would not be my preferred choice. I also have a PS3 connected to that secondary TV so could use that as well. I'll keep an eye out for the Vudu daily specials! I dropped my HBO/SHO subscription, so will be renting more content.

I replaced the PS3 with the Google TV in my main setup after years of struggling with various media servers (TVersity, PS3mediaserver, etc.). Google TV has been a much better choice - Plex, PlayOn and GTVBox play pretty much all of my media. And the Chrome browser covers my other use cases. But I was trying to figure out the best movie rental option.

I've also just started using PlayLater - great product! See you have it as well. We've started watching some Hulu series and the commercials were driving us crazy (after years of TiVo use, we can no longer tolerate them!). With PlayLater, we just record the show and play back later with the ability to fast-forward thru the commercials :)!

8. ChrisG8

I love PlayLater, the best way to watch Hulu and several other sites blocking Google TV. I record the head of household's programs to a 32GB USB drive, connect the drive to Google TV, she can watch in the den, connect to a laptop, she can watch wherever. Using a DLNA client to play those programs works but not nearly as well as playback from a connected drive since all trick play functions work and resume from stopped point works, I am sure she never skips commercials, ha.

9. saeba

saeba Active Member

Interesting. I use GTVbox on Google TV to playback the PlayLater files. It has the ability to access them directly via network SMB access to my Windows shares. And GTVBox will continue from your last play point if you exit the app. I can use PlayOn from my android phone or tablet to play the PlayLater files. That said, I could also use PlayOn on Google TV (or other PCs) to play them back as well - you know you can use Chrome Browser on Google TV to access PlayOn if you have mobile access setup (Use this URL to access: http://m.playon.tv)?

10. ChrisG8

I use PlayOn wtih Google TV from g.playon.tv, default browser only but direct playback from connected drive is far better in my opinion. If the recordings are MPEG-4, the Sony NSZ-GT1 Media Player will play the files and then delete the files. I can't figure out any other way to have Google TV delete programs that have been viewed. I didn't see the option with GTVBox or Mitty.

11. saeba

saeba Active Member

I manually go in on my PC and clear files as I manage my video library in general. Even a 1.5TB drive eventually fills up ;-)! So I wasn't aware that the media player would auto-delete files. Interesting!

12. ChrisG8

It won't auto delete, hit menu and delete is an option, really quick. We almost always do it after watching PlayLater recordings since almost nothing will be kept long term. I do the same with TiVo as I am sure you do as well. If playing files over DLNA, I don't think there is any way to delete the recordings from Google TV and I can't use the time slider using that playback method which is why I much prefer the direct playback method.

13. saeba

saeba Active Member

Delete function - Got it! Agreed, don't see any way to do that with GTVBox. I have side-loaded File Manager HD and can delete share files using it, but that is much more complicated.

Slider - Available in GTVBox with SMB network file playback. I just checked. Don't normally use it as a I usually just use a couple of presses on the >> key to skip over commercials.

Just in case anyone else is following this thread for Google TV tips ;-)! I've certainly learned a few :)!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  14. sludgepickle

sludgepickle New Member

Related question - I'm trying to follow the instructions at Amazon.com Help: Amazon Instant Video on Google TV

which say:

To register your Google TV with Amazon Instant Video on Google TV 1.0:
    1. Visit Amazon.com: Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Instant Video from your Google TV device.
    2. Sign in at the top just as you would sign in to Amazon.com.
    3. Start browsing Amazon Instant Video titles.
    To register your Google TV with Amazon Instant Video on Google TV 2.0:
    1. From the Google TV Home screen, select All Apps (third icon from the left).
    2. Select Amazon Video.
    3. Select Menu.
    4. Select Register Your Device. A five-character code appears on the screen.
    5. Go to http://www.amazon.com/mytv or select this link on your TV screen.
    6. Enter the Registration Code you see on your Google TV device.
    7. Click Continue and follow the on-screen registration instructions.
    My problem is that I can't stream HD Prime Instant videos like it says I should. Maybe Prime vids are excluded?

My questions: 1) How do I know if I'm GTV 1.0 or 2.0? In the system settings it says I'm on 3.2 I think...would that fall under the 2.0 category?

Anyway, I try to go to amazon.com/aiv per the 1.0 instructions...it just goes to my normal Amazon account in Chrome...no dice on the HD streaming. Per the 2.0 instructions, I do have an App called "Amazon" but I don't know how to do step 3 and select Menu...because launching the Amazon app just launches Chrome, and amazon.com...so I don't know how to get to step 4.

Any help is much appreciated!

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If you have the Sony NSZ-GT1 that is considered a Google 1.0 device. I was told that first generation GTV devices (Google 1.0 devices) lack the necessary hardware to be updated to utilize the DRM (Digital Rights Mahagement) for the forthcoming Amazon native app for GTV.

You should be able to view TV shows from Amazon in HD with the Chrome browser on your Google TV 1.0 device - however you will not be able to view movies in HD with your Google 1.0 device.

Thus far only the LG GTV televisions have received the update enabling the new Amazon native app for GTV.
    Other second generation (Google 2.0 devices) are waiting for an update from Google to enable the new Amazon GTV app.

All the GTV devices that were released before 2012 run Intel chips and are considered Google TV 1.0 devices. Google TV 2.0 devices released in 2012 (and beyond) run ARM chips.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. sludgepickle

sludgepickle New Member

Thanks CatfishRivers - so I have a TiVo HD which can't stream/download Prime instant videos (only non-prime), and a GTV 1.0 which can't stream HD. This is starting to annoy me. I have an Apple TV which can't do it of course...so now you're saying I have to buy a Roku too???

17. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If you bought a GTV 2.0 device you will be able to stream Amazon HD movies once Google puts out the necessary update. I'm certain that HD will be available for Amazon instant video via ala carte rentals with the new GTV app.

Sorry I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime - I have not heard of Amazon Prime specifically excluding HD videos from an app. I know Amazon Prime doesn't allow downloads.

Perhaps somebody with an Amazon Prime subscription with the LG GTV television can chime in and comment. As I mentioned the LG GTV televisions have received the new Amazon GTV native app.

I suggest trying to contact Amazon support and asking them if their new GTV app (for GTV 2.0 devices) supports streaming Amazon Prime videos in HD.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  18. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Just back from CES - Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and VUDU apps all available on the Co-Star by end of January.

19. ChrisG8

Ha, well join the crowd. It is too bad that our Google TV models can't play Amazon Instant Video movies in HD and we may never get an update to fix that. I have a Roku and PS3 which play Amazon Instant Video movies in HD, both Prime and PPV but I do prefer TiVoHD which can't stream Amazon PPV but can download it for playback later. I don't think our TiVoHDs will ever be updated to play Amazon Prime Instant Video at all. Right now there is no one box solution for all of these internet TV services but a PC comes closest. Some Vudu movies can't be streamed in HD on a PC, until recently no Vudu HD with a PC, but most other shortcomings have been fixed.

If you don't mind adding another box, don't hesitate to buy a Roku, it is a great little box, I love mine. For some reason, I don't seem to mind all of the boxes required but I can understand that others would find it a real pain.

20. saeba

saeba Active Member

I've been considering options along those lines as well. I could look at upgrading my GoogleTV from my Sony, but I'm a bit confused by all the devices coming out. Confused and concerned that not all GoogleTV devices are equal. As I understand it, my Sony NSZ-GT1 is among the most versatile in terms of video formats supported and audio options (dolby digital and DTS). I know the Vizio, as an example, doesn't do DTS.

It'd be great to have a comparison table of all the googletv devices showing the video and audio formats supported :)!