Quantcast

Connect Google TV through Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by lumberjacked, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lumberjacked

lumberjacked New Member

I feel completly stupid having to write this but its still a problem none the less. I have a Sony google tv and a samsung tv. I want to connect my surround sound up so i can have that on to listen to pandora but can't figure it out to save my life. I have tried connecting the HDMI cables from google tv to the tv and surround sound, but when connect the other HDMI cable it shuts everything off from the TV.

Anyone already have there surround sound hooked up that can tell me what to do? Any help is great.
  2. jmburnzy

jmburnzy New Member

My stereo reciever has 7.1 optical in. My LG tv has 7.1 optical out. Everything else is plugged into the tv with HDMI. So im not sure im getting true 7.1 but it sounds great
  3. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Make sure that control over HDMI is turn off for all of your devices. Though the introduction of GTV should not have changed anything but it's the first thing I'd try
  4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Lumberjacked, Need more information. I'm not clear on what you are asking, not clear on what is happening, not clear on what equipment you have, not clear on what connections you are attempting.

So please clarify your post.

Essentially please list all the equipment you have and the capabilities it has for connections. I'm assuming when you say you have Sony Google TV you are referring to the Sony Blu-ray player with Google TV and not an actual Sony TV set with Google TV ...right???

Also you make no mention as to what you are using for your surround sound? What receiver are you using? Does it have HDMI input and output? Does it have Optical TOSLINK/SPDIF?

Your Samsung TV....does it have Optical TOSLINK/SPDIF output?

When you say "but when connect the other HDMI cable it shuts everything off from the TV." ....what does this mean? What other HDMI cable? Where to where is this other HDMI cable going? And what does shut everything off from the TV mean?...shuts off sound? ....shuts off picture?....shuts off power?....and when does this happen?...what are you doing when what ever happens happens?

As you can see I'm totally at a loss to try and help without more information. There are just too many variables and you aren't being specific enough.

Also probably not critical but what Set-top-box are you using with what service (cable/satellite)?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  5. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 New Member

As far as I know double digital is available through spdif only.
  6. Fedz

Fedz New Member

I have a Sony Google HDTV NSX-40GT1 and I am trying to connect my older Samsung HT-DS610 Slim 5.1 Home Theater.
    I have tried a few things but nothing seems to work. Is the Samsung system to old to work with the Google TV?
  7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    I don’t think its old, it supports Dolby Digital & PCM and that’s all you need.

Give this a try,

Make sure the Optical cable going from TV Optical-out to HT Optical-IN 1or 2 ?

HT:
    Press AUX on the HT remote to select ‘DIGITAL 1or 2 ?

TV:
    Press Fn + 1 > select Picture & sound > “Audio system” ( not Speakers).

Good luck