Quantcast

Crackle not working right on sony nsx-gt1

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by x586, Jan 11, 2012.

1. x586

x586 New Member

So I go to crackle.com or crackle.com/gtv or use the link built into spotlight. It opens the crackle.gtv/ link and looks nice, I can see and select anything I want. When I select some to actually play, it starts and plays the commercial, then once the commercial is done it just stops with a black background in the player window and says crackle in the lower right corner. If you move the cursor across the video the bar pops up and allows access to the volume and fullscreen. Nothing else happens it just sits there, I waited as long as 15 minutes.

If I do the same thing on my PC everything works fine. I've reset the tv reset factory defaults, cleared the cache history etc... in chrome. In all case the result is the same. So whats going on ?
  2. eferz

eferz New Member

It could be they changed their flash code again which inadvertently implemented a bug in that prevents the Flash 10.2 of Google TV to act inappropriately. Adrise has done this as well with their channels. The best thing to do is alert the site developer of the situation so that they know to take care of it.
  3. x586

x586 New Member

I figured it out at least partially. It comes down to the firewall in my router. With it disabled crackle works on both PC and TV. With it enabled it works fine on PC, but not on TV. So they are using some weird port protocol services (that I had blocked) for the tv version different from the PC and they detect the GTV device even if you change the user agent and just go to crackle.com

I wish I could load wire shark on the GTV so I could see everything it's doing. Maybe when I have more time I will track it down to exact details.
  4. x586

x586 New Member

So last night I tracked and pinpointed the port. For reasons I still have not been able to find crackle when run through a GTV Box uses port 53. Port 53 is reserved for DNS and I am at a loss as to why crackle.com needs to use the port for DNS to play, or allow you to play their content on a GTV Device.
    It does not require it when using a PC running windows XP-Vista-7. So why does it require it for the GTV Android OS ?

Anyone got Any ideas ?
  5. x586

x586 New Member

Can anyone else test and confirm that crackle.com will not play movies ( the ads play, but not the movies) on a GTV device if port 53 is blocked ?
  6. Bob1320

Bob1320 New Member

I have the exact same problem and find it hard to believe there are only two of us having this problem!
  7. eferz

eferz New Member

It's probably because nobody else is intentionally blocking port 53. The standard NAT rules on most residential gateways are much more accommodating for return traffic.
  8. x586

x586 New Member

Sorry taking so long to post again, been busy.

Anyway I think the more important question is why are they using port 53 on GTV, but not everything else, especially since 53 is a reserved port for dns.
    It seams to me that gtv/crackle may be creating security issues and possibly other issues such as slowing down dns lookups.
  9. eferz

eferz New Member

Did you ever get a response from Crackle's administrators when you asked them?
  10. x586

x586 New Member

nope.
  11. sixstringace

sixstringace New Member

i have the same issue. it will not work on the google tv but it will work on my phone?? crazy.....
  12. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I'm gonna take a wild shot at this and say it is probably an effort that they make to Geo-Block some users... probably part of their content deal with the movie houses.
  13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you trying to use the web version of Crackle with the Chrome browser?

I'm on the Logitech Revue (in USA) and the web version wasn't working a few weeks ago - however if I go to the GTV version of Crackle through the Spotlight section that works. Also Crackle has a YouTube channel that works.

Here is the link to the GTV version of Crackle:

http://www.crackle.com/gtv/

And here is the link to the Crackle YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/crackle?ob=4

UPDATE: I just tried the web version of Crackle with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue - and it's currently working. Sorry I don't have a Sony GTV device to test it with. Here's the link for the regular Crackle web site (hopefully at least one of these links will work for you) -:)

http://www.crackle.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last but not least I'll mention that GTV (both the Sony & Logitech) have had wi-fi issues that could also be a factor (if you are on wi-fi and still having problems). All three of the above links are working with my Revue (I'm connected by ethernet directly to my modem). See post # 15 in the thread (see link below) where I summarized wi-fi- troubleshooting steps for GTV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-internet-tv/2794-slow-speed-test-but-not-my-network-2.html
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  14. sixstringace

sixstringace New Member

Then there's definitely a difference between the Logitech Revue and the Sony Google TV. I have waited for about 15 minutes after the ads and the Crackle stamp has shown. Ethernet cable, on DSL, getting to Crackle via the Spotlight app. This doesn't happen with any other apps, btw.
  15. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

Have you tried it lately? I just watched a few movies, a tv show, and several originals on my Sony device.
  16. sixstringace

sixstringace New Member

Still a no go for me. Same problems everyday. Anyone have a fix???
  17. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you saying that all three versions don't work for you? As I mentioned there is 1) GTV version of Crackle through the Spotlight section 2) the regular Crackle web site with Chrome browser and 3) a Crackle channel available on YouTube.

Can you specify which of those don't work for you? And do you live in the USA?

I'm thinking that you might have a corrupted cookie. Try going to settings and clearing your cookies and see if that helps.
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. sixstringace

sixstringace New Member

I typically use the Spotlight app and, since it's a simple redirect to the Crackle webpage via Chrome, neither of those methods work. Also the youtube channel lists all the same movies but says they aren't available for tv.

I've reset my tv to factory defaults twice already, not to mention the numerous times I've cleared browser cookies, cache and history. That doesn't seem to help either.....
  19. martiniturbide

martiniturbide New Member

Hi.

I also have a Sony NSX-GT1 and experienced problems with Crackle.
    But I also the a particular thing, that I'm located in Ecuador (South America).

I haven't tried anything with the firewall/router ports yet.

Using a PC.
    - I can access crackle_com and I get redirected to crackle_com_ec and I can watch the movies for my area.
    - On the PC is I surf the spotlight gallery (google_com/tv/spotlight-gallery.html). Crackle like will forward me to "www_crackle_com.ec/gtv/index.aspx" which it does not work on the PC. It seems like the site is broken (for my country at least). It shows the left navigator and on the right no options or movies. (Tried with Firefox and Chrome).

Using the NSX-GT1
    The behavior is very similar.
    - From the Chrome browser I can see movies from crackle_com_ec
    - From the Google Spotlight, it forwards me to "crackle_com_ec/gtv/index.aspx" which it also shows broken (like on the PC).

From my side the problem looks like "www_crackle_com_ec/gtv/" is broken.
  20. trallyus

trallyus New Member

By any chance have you set up your router to block ad sites as I found some sites will not play the streams if you block the ads. Not sure if crackle is one of them but I have had problems with other sites.

Also check your user string and see if you switched it from the default setup and if you have try changing it back and see if the google tv crackle site loads.