Quantcast

ESPN3 CRASHES on GOOGLE TV PLEASE FIX

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by aleksdgreat, Mar 6, 2011.

1. aleksdgreat

aleksdgreat New Member

Can someone pass this BUG to GOOGLE TV team and have them look into it. I believe it has something to do with a plugin failure. ESPN3, which is an incredible feature and benefit of google tv, crashes all the time!!!...
    Please fix this because this is a major PERK!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 New Member

As far as I know Espn3 is blocked on google TV. I do not see an app for it on 'y google TV. Do you have an app?

3. bozzy

bozzy New Member

ESPN has never blocked ESPN3 from Google TV. However, a recent change either in the site or the latest Google TV software does cause many of the streams to become unresponsive. It has nothing to do with their being an app (since GTV doesn't allow apps yet).

4. boobhustla69

boobhustla69 New Member

google tv needs to get its things together because i am really angry off at having my shockwave flash player crash and being forced to stare a strung out puzzle piece in the face when i should be watching my baby boy play basketball! (.Y.)

5. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I've had this happen a few times, too. Seems more prone when I'm watching full screen - and the screen just seems to freeze, but I can hear the audio. As far as the "sick" puzzle piece goes to indicate a flash failure - turn off your unit, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on and flash should be redeployed. Its a bit of a nuisance, and you'll lose a few minutes of game time, but at least you should be able to resume watching. SUggest, as well, staying with the small format ... but DO agree this is something that should be evaluated and fixed by Google. Note as well, this is something I've experienced with other streaming content, so its not simply an ESPN3 issue ... although, being a sports fan, that is the most frustrating to me, too.

6. boobhustla69

boobhustla69 New Member

seriously though. I am going to return this google tv if this problem doesnt get fixed by next week. Without flash capabilities and an app market its basically just an online netflix player. with a blue-ray player. Tell me what is the difference between buying an hdmi cable and using my laptop to stream netflix and games (i.e. march madness) to my tv and spending 400 dollars on this device?

7. pnut8888

pnut8888 New Member

Really bummed out to hear that ESPN3 is not working on GTV. Part of the reason for buying it was to be able to watch Aussie Rules on ESPN3. I also noticed I had the similar errors when trying to watch video on the afl website....screen freezes and audio only.

Hope this is something google plans on fixing.

8. rhohense

rhohense New Member

I've only had my TV for about 20 hours but I was having a ton of problems getting espn3 working on wireless G but I switched to wired and it started streaming. I was watching tennis in the highest quality for about 10 minutes. I bought this TV to watch college football on espn3 so please google/sony lets get this working!

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Who is your TV service provider? Mine is Comcast and when I go to ESPN3.com the page says "powered by Xfinity TV". This does not work at all on my Revue.. Absolutely horrible - I keep getting the Google pop-up that the page is unresponsive (asking me if I want to kill the page). I should of figured it would be terrible through Comcast/Xfinity. I'm sure Comcast is well aware that it doesn't work with Google TV - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully saw to it that it was dysfunctional.

10. forzaps

forzaps New Member

I got my revue yesterday and my provider is Comcast. I see that "powered by Xfinity TV" logo espn3.com too. I was frustrated by the "page is unresponsive" popups on every game I tried to load. I eventually decided to ride it out and kept hitting "wait" instead of "kill page". A couple of videos from the replay section I tested (a little league world series game and a spanish soccer game) did eventually load after a few minutes of hitting wait. Once they loaded they were very low quality to start with but moved up to high quality in a couple of minutes as whatever compression negotiation algorithm they run kicked in. The videos then played flawlessly (and at a pretty good HD resolution) for the 10-15 minutes that I tested. I did have a wired connection though (I didn't try waiting it out when I was on wireless). I then went back and tested the same games on my laptop, they took a while to load up there too. I suspect this is more an issue of chrome on the revue thinking the page has timed out (though the video does seem to take longer to load on the revue). I think I can live with this for now, because once the game you want to watch is loaded it seems to play pretty well. I'll try watching a whole game live this weekend and see how it goes.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I tried to watch a live MLB game on ESPN3. The video stream took forever to load and then choppily played for about 10 seconds - and then froze up (even though the live audio kept playing in the background). Then the Google TV pop-up came on screen stating that the page had become unresponsive. I killed the page and tried it 2 more times - and it did the same thing every time. Perhaps playing video-on-demand through the 'replay' section works better than the live feeds. I haven't tried videos in the replay section yet.

12. forzaps

forzaps New Member

I tried some live tennis today, it took a minute or so to load and played pretty well for the half an hour or so that I watched. And there were no "page unresponsive" messages when it loaded. I'm starting to believe increasingly that your mileage depends on the prevailing (local and external) network conditions (On wireless I can play nothing).

13. eferz

eferz New Member

That is my assessment as well. In my observation, it actually seems to be slightly more sensitive to latency than actual throughput. My wireless access point doing mixed mode 2.4/5Ghz 802.11a/b-g/n had higher latency, than when I just stuck with 5Ghz 802.11n.

14. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

Like several other users, my experience with espn3.com is <<almost>> excellent. <<Almost>> refers to 2-3 instances per hour where the picture freezes but the audio keeps working. Has anybody figured out a way to clear this situation FAST i.e., without losing a couple of minutes from the game? The only reliable way I know is to press HOME and re-open espn3.com bookmark but this takes long.

15. forzaps

forzaps New Member

Yeah, I've been having the same problem and its quite annoying. I usually just wait for 2-3 minutes for the video to unfreeze. It wasn't clear to me if this was a problem with the revue/google TV or just a network issue. I don't remember seeing this issue or at least being nearly so bad on my PC though.

16. giant_slices

giant_slices New Member

I just got my Revue yesterday. I set it up and tried ESPN 3 but the screen where the game should be playing just stays black and I get no indication that the video feed is even loading. Is this normal and do I just need to wait it out until the video loads? When I try and load a game on my netbook it takes a while but I at least get a status bar on the screen where the game should be indicating the progress it is making in loading. FYI, I have AT&T uverse so Iknow I have access to ESPN3. Thanks for any help.

17. eferz

eferz New Member

It doesn't look like Flash movieplayer is loading for me. This could mean that ESPN3 is now using Flash actionscript prevent loading the movie player for the Logitech Revue.

18. Frosty

Frosty New Member

See this thread.

19. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Well I'm new so wouldn't let me post a link.
    Maybe it will like this

googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/2702-newly-launched-espn3-player-doesnt-seem-work-revue.html

20. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Frosty,

Just a little side note for ya.

New members cannot post a hyperlink until you have either 10 or 15 posts...
    I can't remember which, I think it's 10..
    It helps slow down the spammers...

Thanks..

Scott