Quantcast

Expected later in October 2013: LG Google TV update with latest Android Jelly Bean

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by marvmbn, Oct 2, 2013.

1. marvmbn

marvmbn New Member

I inquired about the status of this press release (LG ELECTRONICS TO UPDATE GOOGLE TV WITH LATEST ANDROID JELLY BEAN OS | LG USA). The press release stated that the update will be available 3rd quarter of 2013. However, the 4th quarter just started. Below is the response:

Response from LG:

Apologies for the delays. I confirmed yesterday that it’s still coming -- expected later this month. We will be happy to follow-up directly with you when it’s official. Thank you for your patience and for your loyalty to LG Electronics.
    Cordially, John

John I. Taylor
    Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications
    LG Electronics USA, Inc.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's "expected" later this month. But nothing is official yet. It was "expected" out in the third quarter also. I know it's coming eventually - but I'll believe it's here when it's officially confirmed. I remember the GTV Honeycomb update missed about 4 or 5 time period "expectations" and was over a year late. IMO relying on a company PR representative's "expectations" as the holy gospel can end up being like the "boy who cried wolf once too often". But good to hear that the update is still coming.....
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yes, October seems to be the time frame im hearing...but we will see
  4. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

I had really been hoping for the update to be available in Q3 as they previously stated, but that announcement was before Chromecast and android KitKat were announced. If the delay means we will have full Chromecast functionality and an update to KitKat, I will be happy for the delay.

Google is rumored to announce the new Nexus phone this month--on the 14th?--and I would not at all be surprised if they announced the GTV update at the same time. Here's hoping!
  5. drhill

drhill Member

No way you are getting KitKat unless you get the new phone/tablet or go to the store.
  6. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

LG Google TV's will be getting the Update on the 14th!!

i just called LG customer service and while i was on the phone the rep got an email from their training dept telling them that the Jelly Bean update will be out on Oct 14th.

they told me that it did not go much into detail but it mentioned it now supports NDK, will get more premium apps (TED, Evernote, Flipboard, Vudu ???) [they had discribe some app icons for me to guess haha, they didnt know what evernote was.] it will also support some type of Mobile to TV sharing for both Youtube and Netflix. and the LG tV's have some patented 3D tech that will convert 2D video games into 3D, and supposedly it looks better than normal 2D to 3D because it factors in 3D data from the video game.
    HBOgo was deleted...and plex was removed but can be downloaded form Google Play.

sounds promising...hopefully its all true...we will see by Oct 14th.
  7. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

Yeah, I was pretty sure KitKat was wishful thinking! ;)

Glad to get confirmation of the 14th, though, and the inclusion of the chromecast features!
  8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

Chromecast? no no no. well unless you use the word to describe the sharing functions for Youtube and Netflix...
    but its not actual Chromecast, nor was the word chromecast even mentioned. just want to make sure you have realistic expectations.
  9. DaveKnowsAll

DaveKnowsAll New Member

Thanks for the updates! I was about to figure out who to call at LG when 3Q came and went, but now I'll just wait until at least the 14th.

Although HBO-Go is painful on GTV, I definitely don't want to lose it, so I will take this heads up to heart and sideload some apk backup app to pull the working HBO-Go APK before the update. Hopefully it will still work on JB.
  10. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yea, its too bad the HBO decided to go and do what it did. because of HBO all of these GTV users are suffering.

Oh and im also going to officially predict that the "Google TV" brand will be changed to "Android TV"...
  11. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

If you notice, I mentioned chromecast "features". I didn't say we would be getting a free chromecast or anything. Chromecast refers to the device that facilitates the casting functions (see "Google Cast"). We already have the option to push video to the GTV using the Youtube and Netflix apps, so the sharing that they described as being added must be something in addition to or different from what is currently available. Google's own Warren Rehman confirmed on July 24th that the features or functionality of chromecast would be available in a Google TV after the update: https://plus.google.com/103780053534929069969/posts/Yb8kc6uefEm (read his post and also his comments below the post). I have no expectations other than what what has been said to be coming.

One thing that I don't expect but that I would be very happy to see is an improvement of the SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) implementation on the TV. My phone does not have an IR blaster. Using the Google TV remote app I can do everything with the TV that I can do with the remote (including turning the TV off) EXCEPT for turning the TV on. LG's SIMPLINK isn't a full implementation of HDMI-CEC, although from what I can tell the hardware fully supports HDMI-CEC. If SIMPLINK is updated, then I may be able to use my chromecast (referring to the HDMI device here!) to turn the TV on. That alone would be worthwhile enough for me to leave the chromecast DEVICE plugged into the TV all the time even after the TV gets the chromecast FUNCTIONALITY.
  12. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

no worries i just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. ohh the juicy tid bit from that post is nice...thanx.

yea i agree that Simplink needs to be made better, but i dont think that will happen since Google wants the customer to use the IR blaster cables that come with the TV instead of CEC...booo!
  13. Marcellus

Marcellus New Member

I'm curious, did the LG rep hint that it would be called Android TV? It was within hours of your post that someone at GigaOM said the same thing and many of the other tech sites picked up on it from GigaOM.
  14. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Google is reportedly preparing to phase out the Google TV brand, and sources tell GigaOm that personnel within the search giant are already referring to the next generation of its television platform as "Android TV." Google has not yet announced any official rebranding, but a recently-scheduled developer event in Seoul was officially called "Android TV Developer Day." Meanwhile, a number of Google TV partners appear to have dropped the moniker from their products, instead saying that forthcoming offerings will be Android devices with access to "the latest Google services for TV."

The rebranding would tie the struggling television platform to Google's much more successful Android brand. A sizable majority of the world's smartphones — and an increasing number of its tablets — run Android, and observers note that the brand name alone could get some consumers to take a longer look Google-powered televisions.

Launched three years ago, Google TV has struggled to gain traction in the market, despite Google exec Eric Schmidt's confident statement that by the summer of 2012, "the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded." Instead, the platform has been hobbled by its complicated set-up process and unwieldy controls. It also ran into resistance from content providers, who were unfriendly to the idea of consumers being able to stream content from the web to their television sets.

In the intervening time, Google appears to have lost some interest in Google TV. Earlier this year, the company rolled out a new television dongle, a $35 media streaming device that captured the tech industry's attention and has received mostly positive reviews. For that device, though, Google went away from the Google TV moniker, going instead with Chromecast, a name tied to its popular Chrome web browser.

Meanwhile, the Apple TV set-top box has enjoyed considerable success, even though Cupertino still deems the device a "beloved hobby." Apple sold more than five million Apple TV units in 2012, and the device enjoys support from many of the most popular networks on television.

Apple TV grabbed 56 percent of the streaming devices market in 2012, according to one study, with its nearest competitor being Roku at 21.5 percent. That same study noted that Google TV was "conspicuous in its absence" from the list of top players in the segment. The study estimated that fewer than one million total Google TV devices had been sold to date.

10-11-13

Source
  15. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

no, actually i picked up on it here in this forum like a day or two before. someone in here posted an email convo that they were having with Warren Rehman having changed his employment info from Google TV to Android TV (at the time of this writing, he has taken that off). i think its in the "wheres the jelly bean update" thread.
  16. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...cussion/8556-so-where-jellybean-update-9.html
    post #82
  17. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

As the release of Android 4.4 KitKat approaches, leaks are springing up more often. The latest batch of purported KitKat photos comes courtesy of Italian Android blog Tutto Android. The photos appear to confirm several rumored features of the Android update, including Tap & Pay, which will allow users to manage their Google Wallets and complete NFC payments. There are also several improved location-related settings, such as choosing between high accuracy and battery saving location modes, and seeing which apps have recently requested location services. Also worth noting, the images appear to show Android 4.4 running on Google’s unreleased Nexus 5, which will reportedly launch alongside the OS update next week. The leaked photos can be seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10-11-13

Source

18. Peteo

Peteo New Member

Anyone get the update yet?
  19. bkenyon26

bkenyon26 New Member

Nope. Still waiting.