Quantcast

external hdd and plex

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dtlove129, Nov 17, 2011.

1. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

Is Plex better than tversity or what exactly does plex do? I keep seeing people mention it on here and how they love it.

If I buy and external harddrive and move my movies, photos and music from my pc to it and keep it connected to my pc via the usb will tversity or plex (if you tell me to get it) be able to pick items up on the hdd and stream them to my gtv?

Thanks
  2. eferz

eferz New Member

Plex is two part solution for multimedia streaming. On the server side, Plex runs on a computer (PC/MAC/Linux) and even some NAS devices to share content. However, it is a proprietary technology; unlike DLNA which uses an open, yet strict set of standards. So, you'll have a more curated experience with Plex. Unlike DLNA though, compatibility will depend on their support. The second part is their Plex clients which runs on different devices to play the streams.

Whether one is better than the other will depend on your needs and circumstance. I would recommend going to their website: Plex - A Complete Media Solution to see if it a solution right for you.

I personally would recommend that you consider looking into investing in a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. It would be a much better solution than an external hard drive if you're consider streaming as one of your intended functionality.

The QNAP Systems TS-409 Pro Turbo NAS which is a low power NAS that has many applications built-in is the solution that I purchased many moons ago. It comes with TwonkyMedia server and that's what I currently use to stream my music and videos to all of my DLNA compatible clients. Another nice feature about some of the more comprehensive NAS solutions is the ability to upgrade my shared volume. For example, when I start to run out of space on my NAS, I plan to upgrade the drives from the four 1TB to a higher capacity drives. This will allow me keep my files in stored and organized in a single solution instead of continuously buying external drives.