Quantcast

Found a great OTA DVR that works with the Revue.

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by AndroidGeek, Dec 9, 2010.

1. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

I searched Google and found this great Over-The-Air DVR that works with the Revue called the Channel Master.

This means you can receive OTA channels in HD for FREE with no monthly cable / Satellite costs whatsoever! All you need is this box and an antenna to get full DVR capabilities without paying monthly fees for it. Even TiVo charges a monthly fee but people are leaving TiVo for this one. Not to say that TiVo is not good. Just saying that if you are looking for a totally free solution, then this may be for you.

Here are some of the reviews on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Channel Master CM-7000PAL Digital Video Recorder, Black: Electronics

This is a great find considering the technology for receiving OTA signal for HD channels combined with a DVR is so rare. I could not find any others like this one online from different OEMs.

Here it is for $50 cheaper.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_659700...ster VENDORID659&searchdisplay=Channel Master

Hope this helps some of you.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

Have you tried it? Anyone else tried it? I haven't heard of a non-cable/satellite box that the Revue can control yet. At least two of the options suffer from the Revue not being able to send a decimal point to tell channel 4.1 or 12.3 to turn on, making it virtually useless. Logitech doesn't have a solution so far...
  3. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

I just received the Channel Master today and have just finished hooking it up to the Google TV Revue. I cannot seem to get passed connecting it as a general video device which will not integrate as far as using any of the keys on the Revue's keyboard. If I want to change channels I have to use the original remote which would defeat the purpose of using GTV.
    simplygoogletv,
    I am not worried about changing channels as you have stated (with the .) because the channel Master comes with it's own guide that is similar to Dish Network's guide. All I would have to do is change the channels using the up and down keys on the guide not needing to touch the "." key at all. But I first need to get the dvr integrated somehow.
    My question is, does anyone know how to get around this problem and if so how?
  4. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

Anyone interested in this product,

I wanted to share some of the key features and functionality of the Channel Master.

Incidentally the Channel Master that I have previously mentioned works superbly as a stand alone DVR / cable box. It incorporates all the DVR features almost exactly as Dish's DVR and settings. Even the guide is remarkably like that of Dish's guide and the remote as well. There are not many features that you can't replicate as if it were a Dish DVR/Satellite Box.

I currently have Dish Network as my provider but I am toying with the idea of eventually giving up any cable / Satellite services in the near future. I really don't like paying for something especially when it should be free in the first place. This is why I have posted for all to see.

I have connected 6 LCD HD TVs in my home (3 2nd floor and 3 first floor) to work with OTA technology just using a single, cheap antenna (in the attic) split to all 6 of them...Just finished today.

4 of the 6 TVs are stand alone antenna only with no Dish service (The other 2 TVs are utilizing a Dish 722k Duo DVR and one has Google TV with the Revue on it...my personal favorite.) 1 TV has a Roku XD-S box attached to it. The 2nd TV has a Boxee Box on it. The 3rd TV has the Channel Master connected to it and the last TV (of the antenna only TVs) has nothing attached to it. As you may of guessed, I am experimenting with the "big three" media boxes at the moment. I like testing new technology but I particularly love Google products as I am a Google Fan Boy. So GTV with the Revue is my favorite by far. Also love Android OS and my Droid-X.
    All 6 TVs receive these HD channels via antenna only in my area in Methuen, MA: WGBH 2-01, WBZ 4-01, WCVB 5-01, WCSH 6-01, WHDH 7-01, THIS TV 7-02, PRIME 11-01, 11-03 Explore, 21-01 qubo, 21-02 ION, 21-03 ION Life, 25-01 FXT, 27-01 WUNI, 27-02 UNI TV, 24-01 NEV, 38-01 WSBK, 44-01 WGBX, 44-02 WORLD, 44-03 Create, 44-04 Kids, 50-01 WZMY, 56-01 WLVI, 62-01 WMFP, 66-01 WUTF, 68-01 ION, 68-02 qubo, 68-03 ION Life.

Hope this helps everyone. [​IMG]

5. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

UPDATE: I have tried this Channel Master with another TV in my house and this time I got it to work 100% with Google TV! I don't know what i did different but ALL the keys on the Revue's keyboard are working including the main proprietary keys such as volume keys, Live TV key, Guide, DVR, all the arrow keys, PIP, pause, play and rewind keys, etc. Not to mention all the OTA channels on my TV going through the Channel Master are fully integrated with the Revue as well. Keep in mind that I do not pay a cent for this service and I get most of the channels from 2-01 through 68-01 inclusive via a cheap $40 UHF/VHF antenna in my attic. And I get full DVR functionality complete with full guide and info for each channel.
  6. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

So if you go into the 'Now Showing' area and select one of those shows, is it able change the channel and take you there? The problem I ran into with a different unit was the Revue would send '41' when it was supposed to send '4.1', so channel 41 would turn on instead of channel 4.1.
  7. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

simplygoogletv, I'll have to try this when I get home and I'll let you know.
  8. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

Apparently my TV appends .1 to the end of any channel automatically. So I have no issue with this otherwise I suppose this could be a problem if your particular TV does not do this.
  9. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

UPDATE on 12/16/10:
    Apparently Google has now included this particular model with their list of STBs / DVRs. I connected it to the TV that had the original issue and it now works flawlessly using the newly installed profile.
  10. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

UPDATE 12/16/10:
    Sorry, this is no longer on sale for $300.00. It is back to $350.00 but it's worth every penny considering I'm getting all the HD channels that I need and full DVR and on-screen TV guide capabilities FREE for life!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  11. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

Sorry this took a while to get back to you but I had to setup my Channel Master with another TV that I just bought this past week and it works great.

I do not have any of these issues that you have stated. It works flawlessly! When I select a channel off the "What's On" list, it simply goes to it as long as it is one of the channels that I receive over the air in my area. And it does this regardless of the sub channel (for example: 4.1 will = 4-1 on my TV.). I imagine this will depend on the make and model of your particular TV that you have. I just bought a 55" Samsung 55HT1U which is probably the best LCD TV that I have ever seen as far as HD clarity and functionality.)

I highly recommend this OTA DVR to anyone that wants to receive free Other-The-Air HD TV using an antenna and it is also fully compatible with Google TV as they just recently included the Channel Master in their list of profiles.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  12. kgrr

kgrr New Member

Has anyone tried the Toshiba DR570 DVD Recorder / tuner or a Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder / ATSC Tuner ?
  13. Augster

Augster New Member

AndroidGeek, this is great news.

Time to buy stock in ChannelMaster. :)

I am also trying to get rid of Dish, but the dual-tuner DVR is too much to give up currently. 90% of what I watch is available OTA, so something like this, that doesn't gig you for your entire life like Tivo does, is a great find. Integrating with GTV is even better.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
  14. sprank1

sprank1 New Member

This sounds very interesting, but I was wondering a few things -

Are OTA signals available everywhere? How can I tell what channels I would receive with an OTA antenna?
    Could this type of DVR box be used with Cable TV? I love the DVR service, but my Cable provider charges monthly for the box AND DVR service. This box would save me a good amount over a year.

Thanks for posting this ! :)
  15. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

Your welcome.
  16. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

sprank1,
    You could check to see which signals are available in your area by going to www.tvfool.com It will help you find signals in your area as well as give you all the tools you need to get started using OTA. I used it to point my antenna in the exact location using their map online and a compass to determine where most of my channels were coming from. It is a great website. I'm sure it will help you as it did me. Good luck and let me know if I could help.

This DVR only works with OTA not with cable.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  17. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

Here it is for slightly cheaper ($328 after shipping), but I have no clue whether this vendor is reputable or not. Anyone else use them in the past?
    Welcome to AlrightDeals
  18. Yodad

Yodad New Member

19. kgrr

kgrr New Member

Revue is able to use the Tuner of a Toshiba DR570KU DVD Recorder. The analog channels are 4, 5, etc. Digital channels are 4-1, 4-2, 10-2 etc.
  20. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member