Quantcast

free first run streaming movies?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chuckeys123, Feb 28, 2012.

1. chuckeys123

chuckeys123 New Member

I am a complete rookie, owner of a logitech revue. I see sites on the net that say they offer streaming movies that are currently in the theaters. They ask for a credit card #, but say the service is free. Do these sites work on the logitech, are they legal, and should one be hesitant to offer your credit card number? Why do they want your cc info?
  2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If they are in the theater more then likely you will get taken to the cleaners if you give them your credit card number. Think of it, why do they need your card number if the service is free.

If you want movies I would stay with legitimate places like netflix or amazon ,etc. They are not free but at least they are not going to rip you off.
  3. ertore

ertore New Member

I really Agree with Him. Get netflix for US$8.55 a month. Not newest movies but a lot of bunch of things to watch. Really love netflix.

4. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Pick a few of these sites and Google search them, ignoring the many responses provided by the site operators themselves You will find sad stories that will prove the old adage: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."
  5. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Try out www.veetle.com, you can't watch in HD since you need to download their player and it's not compatible with Google TV.

Jeff
  6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of free movies using Google TV but most were first run in the '40s or '50s. For recent movies, Blu-ray, DVD and VUDU, Google TV doesn't cut it. Amazon Instant Video is the only Google TV streaming source requiring a credit card for me but I use TiVo to access that, not Google TV. I would not give a credit card number to any service selling copyright violations, period.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

First run movies currently showing in theaters, and if you read the message he wanted them for free which does not legally exist so that is why I gave him a free legal alternative.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. snow11

snow11 New Member

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Umm because those sites link to video sharing sites that illegally host pirated copyright material. The Feds recently shut down Megavideo for doing the same thing.

While some might think it's OK - others might feel it's not morally ethical to steal someone's intellectual property. That's why. For a further discussion of this topic - check out this article:

Is It Illegal To Watch Bootlegged Movies Online? | /Film

Not to mention that this is one of the primary reasons the big media companies are "suspicious" of Google & Google TV - and IMO this kind of stuff ultimately hurts the Google TV platform. It makes it harder for Google to sign content deals - and getting content unblocked on GTV.

On top of that those kind of sites generally don't work very well - they're usually loaded with annoying popups, redirects, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.........
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Umm.... I read the message (and again). He wanted free first run movies showing in theatres, which Crackle doesn't provide.

I agree he may have to settle for Crackle or Internet Archives assuming he wants free and legal.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

Yep and then there are the malware and security issues. Also good luck if you give them a credit card number to get the "bargains" that some sites offer. The rationalizations used to justify stealing IP are truly mind boggling.
  15. squeezon

squeezon New Member

and dont forget if you subscribe to HBO or Cinemax, they you have access to all of HBO's movies on HBO-GO and Cinemax on Cinemax Go------Also if you are a "Prime member" at Amazon ($70 per year free shipping) you have access to over
    5000 television and movies free with Amazon streaming.