Quantcast

Google TV Does Not Work with Home Theater Systems and Time Warner Cable.

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable, Jan 1, 2011.

1. GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable

GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable New Member

Has anyone found a solution to using Google TV with Time Warner Cable and a Home Theater System that has an Audio Video Receiver?

1) I upgraded the DVR to a Motorola DCX3400, the best HD DVR availible through Time Warner Cable.
    2) Followed the Google TV Instructions- connected the DVR to the Sony Google TV Blu Ray player, to the AV Receiver to the TV all with HDMI cables.
    3) Issue #1 : The following error "The HD Content Protection of your Repeater has been compromised. All devices connected to the Repeater will not be authorized to receive video over the digital link."
    4) Issue #2: A green screen, and a screen of dots, flash intermittently with the tv picture with no sound.

Has anyone been able to set up Google TV with a Home Theatre System (AV Receiver) and Time Warner Cable per the Google TV Instructions? Any Helpful Ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. kgharrison

kgharrison New Member

What a pain. Anxious to hear if anyone finds a way around it, otherwise my Google TV is a brick.
  3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

4. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

As an alternative box you might want to request the box I have with Time Warner: Cisco Explorer 8640HDC. It works GREAT with Google TV!
  5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

And there is the problem with HDMI. I was reading thats the reason devices like EyeTV HD use Component. And you know what...I really can't tell a difference in quality.
  6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I intend to use component as long as I can (analog) and shun hdmi similarly..and I too cannot tell a visual difference. Exploit the 'analog workaround' as long as possible. :)
  7. GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable

Bad News Confirmed- Google TV does not work with Home Theatre Systems and Time Warner Cable's HDCP (HD Content Protection). Because Time Warner has custom Firmware on the Motorola DCX3400 that prevents more than 2 devices from receiving a digital signal. Hence when you connect the TimeWarner DVR with HDMI Cables to the Sony Blu Ray Player with Google TV then your Home Theatre AV Receiver... Your HDTV the signal is blocked rendering Google TV Live TV Useless. :(

Time Warner Tech Support confirmed there is no firmware update to resolve this issue. I just returned the Google TV Sony Blu Ray Player to Best Buy and suggest you do the same as you cannot get the advantages of Google TV, Surround Sound and HDTV together if you your service provider is Time Warner Cable. Hope this info saves you 3 days of tech support calls. :mad:

Thanks Sparkyscott- After multiple calls to Time Warner, Motorola, and Google TV Support, I can confirm this is correct:

Certain Motorola set-top boxes (Motorola DCX3200, DCX3400, DCT6412, DCH3200, DCT3416, DCH3416) limit the number of downstream HDCP devices to 2 or fewer. Therefore if you have connected your Sony Blu Ray Google TV/ Revue to your AV Receiver and TV using HDMI cables, you may experience the following issues:
    • An HDCP error message is displayed on your TV
    • TV programming is displayed on your TV for a couple of seconds and then you get a green or black image
  8. GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Gotta love HDMI! If I could cuss on this forum...
  10. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi everyone,

We're aware that this is a pain point for a lot of users and we're working with the cable operators to get it dealt with. If this is an issue for you, I encourage you to get in touch with your cable providers directly to let them know that this is important to you, and to ask them when a fix will be deployed.

Daniel
  11. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

It should be noted that this is going to be the case with any product that is doing an HDMI pass through and isn't a GoogleTV issue as much as it is an issue with the STB provider. Seems like TW and Comcast are both introducing this problem, while DirecTV and DISH have no such issues.
  12. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

I have timewarner and google tv box and it works :)
  13. TheSanTechnologist

It is very specific to how you have it connected. Shame that Motorola finds the need for both Comcast and TW customers to go away from the HDCP standard of 7 supported layers, and limit it to 2.
  14. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

I have the timewarner cable box HDMI connected to the back of the google box input and the google box output HDMI to the Sumsang LED. i control the timewarner cable box with the google remote. Forgot what those wires are that I put in front to the cable box so I can change the channels from the google remote.

:confused:
  15. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

Which should work and you can confirm does.

What apparently doesn't work is adding a receiver into the mix:

Cable box -> GTV box -> AV/Receiver -> TV
  16. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I have mine set up similarly with my Motorola DCH3416 except I don't need the IR Blasters. To add my AVR, I just connected the digital audio output from my TV to the digital audio input on my AVR. When I turn on my TV, I use my old Harmony remote to turn on all the devices and set the appropriate inputs on the TV and AVR with a single button press, then put it down and use the Google TV to control it from then on.

I was also frustrated with trying to go through the AVR using HDMI, but found this to be an adequate solution.

Ron
  17. TheSanTechnologist

Any reason you aren't going TOSLINK from the Revue to the AVR? (just curious why you decided to go from the TV audio out?)
  18. rtalain

rtalain New Member

Primarily because after a few hours of fiddling with all sorts of different setup configurations, I finally came up with one where everything (including my PS3) worked! So I figure I wouldn't mess with it. I'm no audiophile, and my system is pretty basic, so I don't know if I'd be able to notice any difference in sound quality if I went TOSLINK direct from the Revue to the AVR.

Ron
  19. hawk

hawk New Member

For Comcast customers, what models do allow an AVR if 3416 does not? I'd like to be able to tell the what model number I want to get.
  20. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011