Quantcast

Google TV Remote app

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by perfectstranger, Aug 27, 2012.

1. perfectstranger

perfectstranger New Member

Would like to check it out. Finds the co-star on my network but then asks for a pairing code. Any idea what the code might be?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

it should pop up when it's asking for the code on your TV FWY I haven't had it to fully work yet on my Co-Star some button work fine on the app others don't. I've heard a few reasons hoping it will be fixed in future updates.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. perfectstranger

Yeah, I'm dumb and blind. The pairing code is displayed on the TV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

lol we all have those days man.. let me know if you have success with it.. things like channels don't work for me..
  5. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

I find that Able Remote is easier to use than Google TV Remote.
  6. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

I like it better as well but all the controls aren't working for on the co-star either at least on mine. I'm thinking this is going to be fixed in a update because some buttons work and some don't. not sure if the update needs to be from Vizio or Able or both.
  7. chopper

chopper New Member

Does the ViZio remote have pinch to Zoom and rotate?
  8. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Sadly GoogleTV Remote is not working for me either - tried it on my Droid X2 and TOuchPad - works at first then channel guide goes crazy and starts scrolling then eventually it doesn't respond at all. I contacted Vizio and they claim they never tested it out on the Co-Star. Bla!
  9. wilderf353

wilderf353 New Member

You may want to try Able Remote.

I installed Able Remote my andriod phone and Able Remote for Google TV on the Co-Star and I now have a remote that works 100% of the time.

( I am having trouble with the remote that came with the Co-Star :( )
  10. twosted

twosted New Member

By 100% of the time, do you mean that it is controlling your STB without any problems? The Co-Star uses the IR blaster in the remote to control your other devices when told to do so by the apps(Google TV remote, Able Remote). So how is this working if you are having problems with the remote?

I can control the Co-Star functions just fine with the apps. But when it comes to anything having to do with the STB it gets all screwy.
  11. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

I'll try Able as you recommend. Yeah, the Co-Star functions seem to be fine using GoogleTV Remote app but the STB functions are what get all screwy and then die for me. Thanks for the advice.

I see Able Remotes comments about the IR Blaster issues w/the Co-Star. I'm guessing that is why the GoogleTV Remote has issues too. It seems the Vizio C-S remote would need to be positioned and used as an IR Blaster so the Android Remote apps can work properly. With a TV on the wall, a STB and beneath it an AVR I have to figure out if this is even possible for me or not. Bla!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. wilderf353

wilderf353 New Member

Sorry: I am not using it with my STB...I have a Tivo connected to it. What I mean is that, I am able to control the Co-Star reliably and with no lag with Able, with all the apps loaded on the Co-Star. I have not tried using Able with my STB.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

I would like to vote for the Able remote also.
  14. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

has anybody got the Able remote or google tv app to work correctly with the Co-Star I've tried the IR Blaster etc to no avail. I'm trying to figure out if there might be a issue with my remote or something else.
  15. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

It would be helpful if you told us what you have tried and what is working and what is not working? Have you watched any of the tutorials?
  16. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

ok here is a example of some of the issues I have discussed with the Dev. I've been using Able on my Revue for a long time with no issues on that. I've tried it on my Co-star with and with out the IR Blaster. the main thing I'm yet to confirm is if it's working for others. here is a copy from a post just discussing Able remote.
    1st off I love Able remote I have been using it with my Logictech Revue and my HP Touchpad With AT&T U-Verse and it works great. like many I decided to get the Co-star I'm having issues with buttons working with the Co-star some work and some don't I'm amnot sure if this is a issue with the co-star firmware or Able remote or both FYI GoogleTV is also having issues. Some examples of working button and none are

Working
    Home
    back
    TV
    Keyboard
    mute
    PNP

Non working
    guide
    DVR
    PG+ PG
    Recall
    Direcional arrows only select they will not go right left up down
    FF RW
    Pause Play FF Rv Stop Pause
    CH up CH Down
  17. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

All of the buttons you listed are working for me
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Myronbg

Myronbg New Member

I gave up the the provided Vizio remote not long after I received the CS. Got the Google TV remote app and have played with it for a couple of days on my Galaxy Nexus. Certainly better than the Vizio remote. Found this post & got the Able app. Just took a little while to figure it out and a significant difference, which is typical in Google/Android environment, it's customizable! Yes, that feature is time limited and cost all of $0.99 to keep the feature, but I'll be buying it.
  19. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

At least I know it's working got you, Now I can start trying to figure out why it's not for me.
  20. perfectstranger

I get the same thing with the directional arrows using on Nexus7 tablet. Sent an email to dev.

EDIT Here's the quick response I received from the dev:

The navigation control uses gestures; you do not press the navigation arrows. Gesture up, down, left or right to navigate in those directions. This is too allow you to navigate Google TV without always looking down at the remote.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012