Quantcast

GTV and Comcast Xfinity

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Peacefrog67, May 18, 2011.

1. Peacefrog67

Peacefrog67 New Member

I know some folks in the past had trouble logging into Xfinity w/ GTV but was wondering if that had been rectified? I spoke with a Comcast rep (who didn't sound very knowledgeable) but he said I would be able to use Xfinity with GTV.

This is one of my main concerns before I buy. Are you folks now able to use Xfinity or HBO Go with your GTV?
  2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Yes, HBO GO Works with Xfinity, I use it to get my Boardwalk Empire on. Very nice UI and user friendly controls. Also if you have a Android then you can get the HBO GO App. I use the app like a remote to find movies and shows then add them to my watch list.
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

No it hasn't been fully rectified yet. Comcast recently switched Xfinity playback to Microsoft Silverlight (which Google TV currently doesn't support). I have noticed that SOME videos on Xfinity play in flash format and work with Google TV. Most notably all the CBS shows and a bunch of others. However NBC and ABC still don't work. So it's a bit better than it used to be but it's still very hit or miss in finding stuff that will play. I would say that once we get the app market and someone develops a Silverlight app for Google TV then Xfinity will most likely work. However Comcast licenses SOME of it's content from Hulu - so there is still a chance that even if we get Silverlight capability that there could still be some shenanigans with SOME shows possibly being blocked.
  4. Peacefrog67

Peacefrog67 New Member

So HBO Go is played in flash I am guessing? I really only want to be able to play On Demand HBO through Xfinity on my GTV. As long as that works I am happy!
  5. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Yes HBO GO works flawless, you will love it. The playback is smooth HD with no buffering.
  6. CatfishRivers

I found this article on the internet that explains what I was talking about. The article also mentions that most of the free content on Xfinity runs on Flash however it is licensed from Hulu (which is blocking Google TV). Also the big recent swtch-over to Silverlight recently for much of the Xfinity content. So HBO GO works good and some other stuff will play - for the reasons explained here it's still hit or miss for much of the content on Xfinity:

MSO's ThePlatform Integrates Microsoft PlayReady, IIS Smooth Streaming Into Video Management System

By Todd Spangler - Multichannel News, 4/8/2011 10:32:46 AM

"Comcast has officially cut over its Xfinity TV authenticated online video service to Microsoft's Internet-streaming platform, which the operator's thePlatform subsidiary has integrated into its video-management system, replacing the adaptive streaming player from Move Networks.
    The first iteration of Comcast's online-media player - for TV Everywhere content available only to cable customers - was powered by Move Networks, acquired earlier this year by EchoStar Technologies. The cable operator last fall disclosed its plans to phase out the Move Networks technology and migrate to Microsoft's Silverlight media streaming platform.
    Earlier this week Comcast said it increased the on-demand content available through its Xfinity TV iPad app to 4,500 hours, up from 3,000 when it launched two months ago, but live TV on the tablets won't be available until later this year. It isn't clear at this point whether Comcast will use the Microsoft technology for the live streaming of programming; the companies declined to comment.
    Meanwhile, the free content on Xfinity TV's website, mostly provided via Comcast's deal with Hulu, is made available in Adobe Flash format.
    Comcast is the first company to use Microsoft PlayReady and IIS Smooth Streaming technology with thePlatform's mpx video management system.
    "We're always looking at technologies that will help us deliver high-quality, premium video to a broad range of IP-connected devices," Charlie Herrin, Comcast Interactive Media senior vice president of product development and technology, said in a statement. "This new, integrated solution from Microsoft and thePlatform supports our ongoing efforts to deliver great entertainment experiences for our customers on all screens and devices."
    Microsoft and thePlatform, through their joint development, offer an integrated solution to let operators and content providers deliver protected HD video for both in-home and remote viewing.
    Microsoft's IIS Smooth Streaming provides dynamic adaptive streaming over HTTP for live and on-demand content that adjusts video quality automatically based on a user's available bandwidth and other network conditions. ThePlatform also is using the software company's Transform Manager, a server-side transformation engine built into IIS Media Services that can encode once and simultaneously deliver it in multiple formats."
  7. Dubs22

Dubs22 New Member

Has anyone experienced any issues setting up the IR blaster remote with a Comcast DVR? I have the sony blue ray gtv. It was working find for the last 3 months, but we got new carpet and i unhooked everything. Now the buttons to control the DVR do not work. I cannot use the Guide, DVR, are channels up and down. I changed the batteries, tried to re-setup the DVR remote code settings with every available code, and made sure the IR thingys were not being blocked. The remote still controls the GTV and my Toshiba TV without issues. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  8. 1stchavez2011

1stchavez2011 New Member

The IR sensor needs to be on the right spot or it's not going to respond. You can find it by pressing the remote control and moving the sensor along the box until it start responding. There are many dvr models and the IR could be on the right or left
  9. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

I know this is a little off topic here but i was wondering does the google tv take up more data for surfing the web than using internet on a pc/laptop? I have already gotten up to 86 GIGABYTES and i have barely used anything on the google tv. I just visited a few basic websites? Can any other comcast users tell me if they ever went over their data usage when they got their google tv. Comcast only has 250 gigabyte monthly data cap. I have a feeling if you are even an avid internet tv user you can exceed that? Any opinions or experiences? (i apologize to the Original poster if i hijacked your thread)
  10. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

i got 86 gigabytes in 10 days worth of google internet tv usage just by using basic sites like youtube or what not. that is alot of data considering i have had comcast for years and never went over 40 gigabyte worth of usage in a month!
  11. CatfishRivers

I have Comcast and the highest usage I ever went in 1 month was 20GB wit my Revue. I usually average about 13GB for a whole month. How many hours did you watch on YouTube and did you watch in HD? HD will use a lot more bandwidth.
  12. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

are you referring to watching youtube in hd or browsing the web in hd? i thought you could only browse the web in one default setting.
  13. CatfishRivers

I'm referring to watching videos on YouTube in HD. Or any site for that matter. According to Comcast with the 250 GB usage limit you would be able to stream aprox. 125 full movies in standard definition. A rough guess would be 25 movies in HD might come close to 250GB of usage. Now 2 additional things I want to mention are that 1) if you have wireless access to the internet it is possible someone else could be hijacking some of your bandwidth. 2) Even when you sleep at night the Google TV will access the internet several times on it's own (and this uses a small amount of bandwidth). So I unplug my Revue at night and also save some electricity that way. So if you viewed aprox 8 full length movies in HD that might explain your aprox. 80 GB of usage. Here is a FAQ page from Comcast about their data usage limit that you will probably find helpful: Frequently Asked Questions about Excessive Use
  14. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

well... i have asked comcast to monitor my usage now as you stated you made a great point when you said leaving on the google tv overnight. im wondering if it accesses the internet when i shut off the tv.. i have the google tv built inside. i will see how my data usage is and i will also see how my data usage when i disconnect from the wireless network overnigh. I want to see if it makes a difference in data usage.
  15. Stern Fan Dan

Stern Fan Dan New Member

I've got Comcast for cable and it's been great since they started working with HBO Go, which just may be the best app ever. The only thing they could add is the full integration with GTV devices so all of the search/record functionality would work (I think DTV has that?) Other than that I'm cool with it and very pleased with GTV.
  16. jaytee1o4

jaytee1o4 New Member

wow I better watch my usage!
  17. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

has anyone gotten any version of the Comcast xfinity app apk to work with JB GTV?

it seems it can be sideloaded, and you can login to it, but when you go to play anything it balks.

I am hoping that like HBOgo, an older version will work.

can anyone point me to a working older version?