Quantcast

Hbo go

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by CarcinogenX, Apr 30, 2012.

1. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX New Member

HBO GO does not seem to play well with my 32" Sony GTV and I'm wondering if others are having any issues? The webpage is really laggy and it constantly freezes and I have to reload the browser or reboot the TV to be able to continue watching any programming. If I login to the site on my Macbook Pro I never have any issues whatsoever and there is no lag, but I prefer 32 inches to 17. I don't think it is a network issue as I can load the Netflix app and watch an HD film or stream a Blu-Ray via Plex and both work flawlessly, but HBO Go just won't go!
  2. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Yeah, HBO Go sucks on GoogleTV. See if your provider is one of those that allows access on the Roku. The Roku channel is very Netflix like and is a much nicer experience.

Go to http://HBOGo.com/activate and select the Roku. In the list that pops up, see if your provider is there. You can get a Roku LT for $49.
  3. rebu2007

rebu2007 New Member

Yes, HBO go is constantly crashing in google tv. It is apparently a chrome issue, we desperately need an HBOgo app. I use my Roku to watch HBO go and Hulu as well.
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Good Point. It's these kind of issues why IMO a GTV set-top box will not succeed (in the current environment) at a price of $250 to $300. Hopefully Google will catch on.
  5. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX New Member

Thanks for the replies. It's a shame it does not work right but I am relieved that it is not just my TV acting up. I bet that once we get an app things will improve. HBO GO is still pretty new so it has a lot of growing yet to do.

I've got to say I was shocked at the lack of a fully functional browser and the overall functionality in general, especially from a Sony/Google product. Years ago before buying my Sony TV I had a Samsung and a cheap Vista HTPC made from mostly spare parts but I was able to customize whatever I wanted, visit whatever sites I wanted and stream whatever content with no issues or limitations. I was expecting that of my Sony TV. Plex helps but it is still too limited in functionality and has a lot of bugs to work out.
  6. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

HBO has no plans for a Google TV app. That could change if Google TV actually moves a few units, but as it is they aren't even supporting Android tablets.
  7. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX New Member

That's unfortunate, but I bet you are completely correct.
  8. bean

bean New Member

You don't know that for sure. You post this same Debbie Downer crap on the Roku forums.
  9. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Actually, I do know.
  10. Cunningham1420

Cunningham1420 New Member

It is kinda cheezy that they dont have their own app for the tv and use the website like a pc. I will say that ive only had it mess up a few times out of the hundreds of times ive used it. Picture quality using wifi is hit amd miss sometimes, but once I hard wired it to my n-router the picture does come in HD w/ hardl any freeze ups or bad picture quality. I believe the best hbogo displays their movies is 720p?
  11. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

I thought in the new video for the sony GTV media player I saw an app for HBO go. Did anyone else notice this?
  12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I have a 32 inch sony google tv and have no problem with hbogo so I guess it's that old addage that other's experience may vary. I use both the hbogo link under the sony spotlight apps as well as using hbogo with playon.tv as well. My first suggestion is to check your router and wifi settings to make sure you have the best possible speed to your tv . I only have a 6 meg connection but most everything works for me at the moment except plex beta which seems to like to stall and make me force it close :)
  13. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

That could just as easily be an icon applied to a bookmark. If it's an app icon, it would be inconsistent with their phone, tablet and Roku icon designs and may in fact be their old icon design.

Given what I was told about the lack of devices being sold I'd be shocked if they're doing anything for Google TV.

There still isn't a working Android tablet app and that would be a bigger need for HBO than Google TV. Since the 3.2 update the browser is working fine for me when using their website. It's slow, but it works.
  14. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

I read some of the reviews and comments. For now the HBOgo is a link to the website.
  15. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX New Member

This afternoon I started watching The Pacific on HBO GO with my 32” Sony Google TV. All went well for the first episode but when navigating to the second one it hiccupped and gave me some flash error so I rebooted my TV. Since then I have not been able to play any series or content within a menu. I’ve been able to play movies and documentaries etc. that are on the large main banner because they have a play button when you mouse over them but if I click on movies or series, comedy etc. and click a menu within the “see all” nothing appears. I can search for “The Pacific” or any content and navigate to it but when I click play it acts like its going to play but I never get the actual video window to appear. I cleared the cache and all that from Chrome to no avail so I did a factory reset of the TV and that did nothing. I’m not having any issues playing any content with HBO GO on my Mac or my Android phone. Is there anything else I can do?
  16. CatfishRivers

Can you tell me specifically the number it mentions for the Flash error? This can give a possible clue of the solution.

For now I recommend going to your Adobe Flash Player settings and from the Adobe Website Storage Settings panel deleting all web sites. Next go to your settings and clear your cookies and then re-sign in again to HBO GO. If that doesn't work then try going to your settings and clearing all data from your Chrome app.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  17. CarcinogenX

CarcinogenX New Member

Thank you for the advice!
    I did not see that there was a number given, I just saw something in yellow across the bottom of the TV like Flash player crashed or something similar. I did clear all data from Chrome and deleted the sites in the Flash Player settings but I still have the same issue. Could this be anything hardware related? That would suck because I hardly ever use this thing. I don't have or want cable or Netflix so I only use it for an occasional Plex session and a couple hours here and there on the PS3. What a bummer.
  18. DrBoreX

DrBoreX New Member

I don't think it is your hardware. I think it is Chrome/software issue. I am unable to use HBO GO on my Sony NSZ-GS7 as well. It was fine before the last software update now it's total crap. Occasionally Flash player will work (i.e., it will play random movies) but for the most part it's total crap. I'm seriously considering returning the device as I really don't need a $200 Netflix player :/ Plus, MAX GO also doesn't work. If Google doesn't get its $h^t together quickly, GoogleTV will die very, very soon. Apps like HBO GO, MAX GO, Hulu, Vudu, etc. are an ABSOLUTE must. Without them, it's useless...
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  19. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I passed the HBOGo and MaxGo problem on to the google tv people over on Google+ so now they know about it. Also people are posting about the problem on facebook and twitter so they know by now as it's affecting more then 1 model of google tv users.
    • Like Like x 4
  20. CatfishRivers

I agree. It's been a bad few weeks for Google TV. Just a few days ago PBS updated their web site videos to Flash 11 - (which essentially shuts out all GTV users).

Plus people are reporting bug issues with Crackle, ESPN3, etc. IMO Google has added very little if any premium content/apps over the past year - while content that we already have slowly dwindles away.

I've stated it many times before - the Honeycomb update in and of itself isn't enough to save the GTV platform. The Honeycomb update is yesterday's news (almost 1 year ago now). Content is the king. Some YouTube videos now also require Flash 11. Google needs to get it's act together and get GTV updated to Flash 11 as soon as possible.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012