Quantcast

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by wekebu, Aug 19, 2012.

1. wekebu

wekebu New Member

My Co-Star seems very hot. I put an instant read thermometer on it and got 108.6°F reading from the bottom of the device. What's too hot?
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Your Co-Star should not be running that hot, you might want to give customer care/tech support a call .. I plan on getting a USB fan from Walmart for $14.00 to keep it from running super hot ....
  3. rschauby

rschauby New Member

This thing runs cooler than my Roku does. 108 F doesn't sound that warm at all to me. It gets warm, but never HOT.
  4. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

Mine definitely got hot last night...don't have a way to take the temp, but it was hotter to the touch than any other device I've had run hot. Not sure if it was related, or not, but the thing started acting weird on me while I was trying to test a setup with PlayOn. I'm hoping my issues are related to PlayOn, and not the heat...
  5. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

Set my Co-Star on top of a fan (so as to extract the heat out of the unit through the bottom vents) I had for my Xbox cabinet, to see if it had any effect, and the temperature (feel) difference was dramatic, after several hours of use again (like the night prior). I'm convinced the heat sink being used is not enough of a cooling solution to prevent eventual heat soak from setting in, and causing havoc with performance.

That said, I will be looking for a permanent cooling fan solution for the device...
  6. rock99rock

rock99rock New Member

That is disturbing to say the least. Do you think it was any app in particular that might be causing the overheating?
  7. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

The only difference between what I did last night with it vs. the night before when it over-heated is not having run PlayOn...that was the last thing I did the other night, before it crapped out...but I didn't run PlayOn the 1st day, and I noticed it felt warm, so can't say it's PlayOn (chrome browser) for sure.

If I was Vizio, I definitely would've made the device a half-inch taller and sat the whole thing on a fan 'platform' to alleviate these issues...I'm confident in my $12 fan solution, though.
  8. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

I agree. Mine seems too warm for just sitting there while not being used.
  9. emlan

emlan New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but when looking at Walmart's website for USB cooling fans, are there any that you would recommend one over another for the Co-Star? What do I need to look for or stay away from when looking at a cooling fan specifically for the Co-Star? How loud do these fans get? Is it noticeable?
  10. seanwi

seanwi New Member

On which cooling fan do you recommend?
    Where the usb cable should be connected to?
  11. trallyus

trallyus New Member

One person I talked to actually turned the co-star upside down so the device would run cooler in case you want to try that before getting a fan for it.
  12. nutcates

nutcates New Member

I had a live chat with a vizio person today about my second co star overheating and shutting down. She admitted that since it has no fan it over heats. She told me I needed to tun it off more often!!!!This is a copy of what I was told: " It isn't defective, ANY device that you have connected to a power outlet and use continually for an extended period of time, in your case 6 hours, without a fan for a cooling system will overheat, you can research any other device and find the same problem. This is normal behavior for an electronic device that is used extensively without a fan built in.".....6 hours is 2 Sunday NFL games in a row!!! They are selling a defective product, they know it and they continue to sell it. I like the product otherwise so I am getting this fan:
    Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan 12 External USB Cooling Fan 12CM AF0007: Electronics
  13. Scuzzo

Scuzzo New Member

this is a bunch of crap... a device that is designed well will not over heat.. you can provide vents and a heat sink for this not to happen.. thats why i like the atom processor.. its more stable.. my sony runs near constant.. and that fan will do the cooling.. same with the revue.. if you are going to use dual core chips with multi cor GPUs you are going to have heat.. and you need to dissipate that heat.. and you should not have to buy some aux fan.. thats just silly.. and if you are going to plug that fan in to the vizio unit.. you might not want to do that... too much a power draw and all the other processes will suffer... this is one of the reasons i will stay away from the heat sink cooling option that vizio and others offer.... its not normal behavior at all... i have another tv android box.. based on a rockchip 2core and it is cool and runs well no heat no aux fan... that whole "its normal behavior" is just company and fan boy propaganda.... its a bad build... you should should not have to buy a cooling system for a tv box.... that may be why the newer google tv boxes are larger... Asus might have learned a lesson..
  14. wekebu

wekebu New Member

What system is that? We are looking for a second box and I'm a tad timid to get another Co-Star.
  15. Scuzzo

Scuzzo New Member

im kinda digging non GTV android boxes right now... but its not a replacment for gtv... if i was buying a GTV now... i would look at sony g or i would wait till asus comes out..... but that cube GUI is a deal killer... perhaps the pulse or the other netgear box... but if you go and read amazons reviews on the costar and dis guard the fanboi crap... its not a great option.... clunky key board, over heats... graphic heavy GUI pulls down the performance... heck... if it was me... i would take a revue or NSZ gt1 over that silly box... i tried one out... and HATED iT... jmho... stay away from the non gtv android boxes unless you are cool with being proactive on finding fixes and are ok with doing your own firmware upgrades... but its a much more open platform then the google fork...
  16. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Co-Star but I do own three different Google TV models, no overheating issues with any of mine. The Sony NSZ-GS7 does not have a fan but runs cool enough, mine is in the open and well ventilated but I watched a video of a tear down of the box and it is well designed to dissipate heat. I suspect the Co-Star is designed similarly and if set up properly and not defective should not have overheating issues either.
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

That silly hockey puck design is the most likely cause of overheating. I took one look at it and said 'No way.' Rectangular designs may not be pretty to look at but it is tried & true. Vizio got too cute w/that unit for their own good. My Logitech Revue has been on for a full year now. My TVs are on 24/7. Never once had a heating problem.

Carl
  18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Where is the evidence the Co-Star has an inherent overheating problem? I have similarly shaped, tiny Roku boxes, no overheating issues at all with those for me. I don't accept a few online complaints of overheating as evidence of a flaw, I saw those reports for my NSZ-GS7 and Roku and was able to conclude there was no issue and bought the boxes anyway. I don't have a Co-Star because of the IR control from remote, no extra USB port, no optical audio out and a remote I don't like. With no way to send IR commands from the Logitech K700 keyboard, I couldn't even replace the remote with that and get what I want. When you consider the remote doesn't have a mic either, I see it as the absolute least desirable Google TV box ever made but I won't include overheating as one of the issues without an objective analysis proving the claim.
  19. Scuzzo

Scuzzo New Member

if their own tech support staff is admitting to having over heating issues.. then i will take their word for it.. if you go too cheap on parts and dont have better heat sinks or vents or any other method of conductive cooling then... yes things will over heat,, but i did a google search on costar and over heat.. and it seems to be a problem... if their own tech support saying "well you have to turn it off more often" thats not a solution.. im leaving it there.. because thatDataTronics fanboi will hop on this thread any time now and start saying well strap a big fan to it... im not sure why amazon allows such huge wads of spam to be posted in the review section... but man it just makes this google tv forum look... well what ever... i know i tried one out... hated it... and i know that there is more then a few reports of the vizio tech support saying that they know about the heat issues and the answer is to turn off the machine,,,, sure.. if its over heating well you need to turn it off... seem like good advice to me..
    but why is it overheating? well according to some it will not over heat according to others it will... but according to vizio.. its a known issue..
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  20. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I take my cues from some of the most die-hard fans of the Vizio Co-Star. While they love the device, many have posted using various cooling fans. One guy posted that he has his unit sitting on a fan. Hey, these are the ones who believe their unit is superior to all others.

I can't help but take them at their word...

Carl