Quantcast

Hulu Plus

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Jmprnbr1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Hulu plus was recently ported over to android phones and tablets, anyone get it working on google tv?

2. eferz

eferz New Member

If by recently, you mean seven months ago that's true as listed on their blog.

The problem with the current application package is that the security protocols seem to have been written with the Android NDK for ARM processors. Unfortunately, this makes the application incompatible with the x86 processor in current Google TV devices. That's probably one of the reasons why it is presently available to select Android Tablets and Phones. Another reason could still be be due the licensing issues if the following letter is still relevant.

Either way, we're just going to have to wait until they decide to release a version for Google TV.

3. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Thanks for the overly long reply, but I was referencing a recent article from yesterday. There was an article posted on www.engadget.com about Hulu plus APK being hacked to work on all android phones and tablets not just a select few. And from the comments it does work on almost all, unfortunately not google tv. Just asking if anyone got the hacked version working yet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. eferz

eferz New Member

Sorry, if you felt the reply was too long. I was just trying to impart knowledge. This is the article I suspected you referenced.

Just for future reference; "Hacked" and "ported" are actually two different things. In this case, "hacked" means the security measures which prevented the app from running on non-supported tablets and phones have been removed. "Ported" would infer that he translated the part of the code written with the NDK that's preventing any Android device from executing it. He did the former not the latter. If you check the thread at XDA, "Breaking News" HuluPlus.apk Has Been Successfully Modded By Vgeezy" the NDK issue remains a problem.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hmm. It's looking like if I want to get Hulu Plus on GTV I'm going to have to open my wallet again and buy one of the new ARM GTV boxes when they come out in a few months. Would the hack version likely work on the new ARM GTV devices? Waiting for Hulu Plus to be "officially released" on the Intel GTV devices is worse than taking the slow boat to China -;)

6. eferz

eferz New Member

It actually would depend if Google ever patches in the ARM/Intel NDK libraries for Dalvik Virtual Machine on Google TV. As I understand, they're really hesitant in doing so because they're afraid that it might open holes in their security. The only other way around it, is if Hulu works with Google to have Hulu Plus distributed with the operating system, like Netflix. This will allow their app to execute native code outside of the Dalvik virtual machine.

7. sebeticus

sebeticus New Member

Last time I had tried to load Hulu on my GTV, I got a pop-up saying they were still trying to work out licensing. I'm not a fan of Hulu. They are a child of NBC, which is one of the big guys who feel GTV and other Google platforms (YouTube) are a threat to their existence.

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

This guy supposedly got hulu working on google tv - not sure how long the trick will work but here is the video if anyone wants to try it out. I am content with playon myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I went to download.hulu.com/huludesktop.swf and it worked for a few minutes but encountered a Hulu verification error and suggested I try again. I might try changing user agent and go back but I am doubtful this method will work long if it works at all. I am using the Revue.

10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

He said he was using an android string as his user agent in the video I think.

11. ChrisG8

Yes, although he wasn't sure whether that mattered or not. I think this is nothing more than the same temporary method that Hulu stopped before I ever even purchased my first Revue, using an old beta version of Hulu desktop and it either doesn't work or won't work again very soon.

12. CatfishRivers

Yep this "fix" has been around for ages. The reason Hulu probably doesn't patch this workaround - is that Hulu shuts down in approx. 10 minutes when using this fix. It is possible to re-enter Hulu again using the same URL after it shuts down. But you then need to find your place where your video stopped playing previously. As nothing is saved when you get cut off after the 10 minute mark.

I had posted this fix on August 10th in the Project Free TV thread - and then there were a few other posts discussing it. Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...cussion/297-project-free-tv-55.html#post11136

• Like Like x 2
  13. ChrisG8

Here he claims, using Android agent, loading the Android tablet version and using the Maxthon browser, with an orientation fix, allows accessing the network sites. I think he may have this setup when accessing Hulu as well but this is well beyond my use of Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mdovell

mdovell New Member

The hulu thing doesn't exactly work with me. It's odd. It doesn't crash but it doesn't load either. The frame and photos load but no video. If I tried using the maxthon it just totally kicks it out.

The other one however :-D

15. ChrisG8

What is the custom Android user agent string he refers to?

16. mdovell

mdovell New Member

You have to go into the settings then the under the hood area for chrome. Technically although the ip address doesn't change the agent can be. I viewed one site as if it was an ipad or at least that's what they thought.

maxthon should have it somewhere within the preferences. Just keep in mind when you change a user agent you have to reboot google tv in order for it to fully change.

In some ways not all sites with video process things the same way. One site works fine for streaming video (it is a state media one) alone but if I add android into the string it won't work at all.. Maxthon I'll use for one sites video and leave most of the rest to chrome.

17. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

He released this video 11 hours ago that should answer your question -

18. ChrisG8

I sent him a message asking the question, this may be his response to my question.

19. CatfishRivers

So has anyone been able to get his fix to work with GTV? I don't want to bother messing around with it if it doesn't work -:)

20. mdovell

mdovell New Member

The istream site for me works but not hulu. istream does have a fair amount of material (59 different shows). I have a revue and he's using a sony so maybe it differs in that.

The only thing to remember is to reboot it after changing the UI. It is annoying but understandable.