Quantcast

Info on IR Blasters

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by c1tobor, Dec 17, 2011.

1. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

I would like someone to explain the IR Blasters for the Revue.

I have bought two, one Revue Bundle, and one Revue.

My questions are...

1) Does one need to use the IR Blasters?

2) What do they actually do?

3) Are there Pro's and Con's?

One will be for my elderly Father whom is "comfortable" with his (XP) desktop but knows nothing of Android. He has "Charter" HD box/DVR(Motorola) and a DVD player(not on HDMI port) both hooked to a Hannspree 42" HD/LCD. And the Revue will sit within ~20' of the router.

Mine will go straight to the HDTV as I only have a "Coaxial" connnection for the cable. I am in the basement where I get a low but usable signal for my android tablet. I understand "I" will have to change "source" to go between Live TV and the GTV. (?)

Any examples will help me understand how to use this product as mine are still in their boxes until xmas....the 23rd of December..
    lol
    Thank-You and Merry Christmas
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

1- Does one need to use the IR Blasters? Yes/No
    - Yes, ( see below IR Tips link )
    - No, if you have an IR remote control (Harmony) to control the HTS & no plan to control it via keyboard
    - No, if the keyboard is controlling the HTS w/o issues.

2- What do they actually do? - It will extend the IR signal. ( see below IR Tips link )

3- Are there Pro's and Con's? No Con's (you may have it connected regardless!)

See IR Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Same to you,

Cheers!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. eferz

eferz New Member

There are actually a total of five IR Blasters for the Logitech Revue. Four of them are built into the top front face of the unit. The fifth mini-IR Blaster is optional and only necessary if there's an interference or obstruction to control an external device.

The IR Blasters provide the Logitech Revue with a way to control external AV devices. That's what it uses to relay IR signals necessary to control them like a remote control would.

Sure, there's a matter of aesthetics. I know its shallow but some people don't like the look of stuff. If you don't use then it is possible that the Revue may not be able to control various equipment depending on its location and any environmental interference. However, in most cases the fifth IR Blaster isn't necessary.

Most likely, he'll want to hook up the Logitech Revue in between the Charter HD box and the television through HDMI. This is the preferred setup in most cases; Cable DVR > Revue > Television

Yes. Since you won't have a set-top box feeding your channels through HDMI there's no way for the Logitech Revue to amalgamate the television channels that you receive with the internet. You'll have to manually switch between the televisions built-in tuner and its HDMI input depending on the content you want to watch.
  4. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

Thanks guys...I'm sure I will have more questions once I have them up and running, but getting a decent grip on what I have bought.
  5. eferz

eferz New Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.