Quantcast

Is this possible Stream Video to Chromecast via wired ethernet connected Desktop?

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by Landry, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Landry

Landry New Member

I have the Chromcast connected to my WiFi network and I am able to stream video to it from my desktop and my Iphone. Is there a way to enable my hardwired (to my Netgear DSL modem/wifi router) to play video content on that Windows 7 machine?
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. Landry

Landry New Member

I am assuming this is entry to make the Chromecast visible to a connected desktop via wired Ethernet directly to the ATT DSL modem?
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You can cast from a PC via Ethernet connection,
    after Chromecast stick is setup via WiFi connection,

• Switch the PC to Ethernet connection, the "Chromecast device" should be visible in the "Cast button" pull-down-menu
    Notes,
    * you can switch back and forth between Ethernet & WiFi connection.
    * to use Chromecast app, PC needs to be on WiFi connection.

--------

FYI: DSL modem & Routers with Ethernet ports are auto enabled for hardwired (plug & Play).

[HR][/HR]
    initial setup,

1. Switch the PC to WiFi connection (PC must be on WiFi for initial setup)
    2. Make sure the Chromecast stick is plugged-in the TV (AV receiver or HDMI-Switch box) and the correct HDMI-input-source is selected (& all devices turned "On").
    3. From your computer, Go to www.google.com/chromecast/setup
    4. Download & install the Chromecast app .... (for your computer)
    5. Run the "Chromecast app" and follow the prompts ...
    6. install "cast extension" add-on to Chrome.

when setup is completed you can switch the PC to Ethernet connection, the "Chromecast device" should be visible in the "Cast button" pull-down-menu.

read Page 1 here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-chromecast/8221-chromecast-tips.html#cctip11tip2

------------

after initial setup, (as in your case)

Is your Chromcast stick is already setup?
    is your PC is on the same network?
    is the the "Chromecast device" visible (in the "Cast button" pull-down-menu) on your PC? (via Ethernet connection)

FYI, when the the PC is connected to the same network via Ethernet connection, the "Cast button" in Chrome should be available and Chromecast device should be visible (in pull-down-menu).
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Landry

Landry New Member

OK. When I did the setup was via a laptop with wireless connection and was able to stream from it, but I could not see the Chromecast from a separate hard wired Ethernet connected desktop with the Chromecast extension installed. So if I have this right. The only way to set this up is to have a desktop that has WiFi enabled first the configure the Chromecast. Next disconnect the desktop WiFi connection and stream via Ethernet... Is that correct?
  6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters which device performed the initial setup. What matters (after Chromecast recognized the network), all devices (wireless or wired) need to be on the same network.

1. When you say "... could not see the Chromecast .." (on desktop) , where exactly did you look?

2. If you launch Chromecast app from the desktop, does it ask to turn on WiFi?

3. When you launched Chrome (from the desktop), was there (at the upper right side of the screen) cast button > pull-down-menu > Chromecast device?

(see pict)

$chrome - cast button.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. Landry

Landry New Member

1. I set up the Chromecast via a Windows 7 laptop without issue and was able to stream to the Chromecast. Installed the Chromecast extension on the Windows 7 hard wired desktop and Chrome would not see the Chromecast in the picture you have displayed. 2. My desktop does not have WiFi access 3. Desktop did not see the Chromecast device, but the laptop and iphone did via WiFi
  8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Can't say the CC doesn't work with hard-wired PC (desktop), because it does.
    The question is, why the CC is not visible on your desktop? Is it the "ATT DSL modem"? or Chromecast app limitation?

Try unplugging the Ethernet cable from the desktop and connected to the laptop instead, switch to wired connection and see if the CC is visible?

also,
    1. before unplugging the ethernet cable from the desktop, check desktop's network if a local IP address is assigned?
    2. after connecting the laptop via ethernet & switching/ ethernet is active, check laptop's network if a local IP address is assigned?

Btw, the Chromecast app got updated to version: 1.1.2
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Landry

Landry New Member

Have not had a chance to look at this after the initial 2 hrs. trying to get it to work. I went back to the WDTV Live that works. If the CC does support this function that it does not appear to be user friendly right out of the box. Easy to setup with a laptop and phone but not with streaming local files from a hard-wired desktop. Documentation on this feature or capability is lacking as well.
  10. socal

socal New Member

Hi Landry,

I'm having the same issue where my Chromecast will not work with a wired network but works fine when I move it over to wifi.
    I've emailed google support and they've confirmed this maybe the case where i would have to use wifi only.

While I agree with revue5's perspective of why it wouldn't work on wired when it's fine with wifi is puzzling.
    I've been searching to see if there is a way to get around this issue or ever understand how it can not see the IP. On the same wired pc, the Chromecast APP can see the Chromecast saying it exists but the Chrome browser does not provide the Chromecast device once I'm wired.

It sounds like, there are some that can Cast their Chrome browser from a Wired PC to their Chromecast on the same router/network?
  11. jeanphilt

jeanphilt New Member

Here is the SOLUTION (that worked for me) :
    1- go to Start / Control Panel / Device Manager / Network cards
    2- disable all VMWare adapters

To go to the device manager, you can also :
    Start / Run / type : mmc devmgmt.msc