Quantcast

Netflix interface issues

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Joendsu, May 26, 2012.

1. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

Is anyone having an issue with the Netflix app where some movie tiles are not loading and the graphics in general arent quite right? Like when I try to scroll to find movies...it is difficult to know which one is selected and if search is selected it disappears. I have rebooted and unplugged/replugged but still not working right. This behavior started this week.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Check out this link (• Netflix App streaming issues...)

Good luck
  3. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Yes. I am experiencing the same problem on Netflix. I also noticed that when Netflix is first started I am not seeing the "progress bars" that would appear as the program was loading. The movies seem to still run fine but it is making it harder to find the movies I want to see.
  4. fahuffbers

fahuffbers New Member

I'm having the same issue. I have 3 of these, 2 which are several months old, and one that I just purchased a week ago. All of them started doing this close to the same time I hooked up the new one, over the last week.. Talked to Google TV and they walked me through some steps and then said its my router's firewall. Well, I know that's not the issue. I turned the firewall off and still the same issue on all 3 devices. Any help on this would be great! To me, this is an app issue as its on the older units and the new one is doing exactly the same thing all at the same time. Interesting... Thanks!
  5. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

I also have a Roku and that isn't seeing the same issue...so I would expect if it was a router issue I would see it on my Roku as well?? It is very annoying - I might try to call logitech support tonight.
  6. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

All of my Netflix title graphics have now disappeared. At first only about 40% were missing. Movies will still play but the ability to search is greatly hampered.
    Any other suggestions besides what has already been posted?
  7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

if you get a chance try these steps,

• Clear Netflix App data & "Force stop" - click here.
    • Deactivate (unlink) Netflix Account - click here.
    • Remove "Google account" & re-add it - click here.
    • Sign-in to Netflix Account (re-link).
  8. vicw

vicw New Member

I'm a bit relieved to see that I'm not the only one with the problem, at least, but frustrated that the problem hasn't been more widely reported. I have 2 Logitech Revue Google TV units, one an early vintage unit, and the second purchased over a year later. Both started showing just some of the movie/TV icons a couple of weeks ago, or so, and both have degraded to not showing any of them, or any of the associated program ratings.

I can still play material, but it's very hard to figure out where I'm at. I've tried all of the suggested repairs, (except deactivating and reactivating the devices), without success, and have also done a Factory Data Reset on one of them, without any improvement. I have a solid broadband ICS with plenty of reserve bandwidth, and I've tried fixed and DHCP IP addressing, as well as an alternative DNS source to no avail. Netflix access via alternative apps, on my smartphone and PC behave normally for my account.

Update: I realized that I had not deactivated and reactivated the devices, so I'm currently trying that. Will update again when I see the result.

Update 2: The deactivation/reactivation didn't make any difference. I wonder if this problem may only affect users with more than one Revue?

Based on my own attempts, and those reported by tinman319, I think we have pretty well exhausted all of the things we can reasonably do as customers, and perhaps we are dependent on Logitech or Netflix to actually try to fix the problem. I can't return the Revue units, but I don't think I'll stick around with my Netflix subscription too long with this problem.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions....here's what I have tried so far, resigned into account after each step (unfortunately still not resolved).

• Clear Netflix App data & "Force stop" - added clear cache to this as well but it did not correct the problem
    • Deactivate (unlink) Netflix Account - tried to contact Logitech tech support with another computer via Live Chat, (system responded with "LIVE CHAT NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR REVUE" when I tried to select it from the Logitech Revue Support website
      Contacted Logitech Tech Support via telephone and they walked me through the Deactivation (unlink) Netflix Account steps, twice, but it did not correct the problem
    • Following tech Supports instruction, went into settings, under the hood, adobe flash settings, clear all websites visited, changed flash storage to unlimited, then performed a soft reset via CNTRL-ALT-DEL, did not correct problem
    • Followed tech supports instruction checked download speed of my connection (Comcast, wireless) at Speedtest.net My speed was over 12MBs so no problem with connection or wireless connection (no surprise as my other 2 Netflix devices are connecting wirelessly without any issues), eliminated one potential source of the problem but of course did not fix the issue
    • Followed tech supports advice to do a factory reset of the system, losing all settings, downloaded apps, etc (at least temporarily), did not fix the issue
    AGGGHHHHHH!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. vicw

vicw New Member

I really do appreciate your help in this, and I know you invested good time and effort in creating the list, and have created it in good faith and expectation that it might help, but I will have to sleep on it, and decide whether to dig deeper and try it, or just wait for Netflix to fix their code, which would be a much more promising solution IMHO. Do you know if it has actually produced good results in the same circumstance for other users?

This is an very intricate set of procedures for the user to be expected to cope with, and I'm not sure if it is likely to produce a good result, especially since I've already done much of it to no avail, although admittedly not with some of the intricate sub steps you list. Even if it "fixes" the immediate problem, are we likely to have to go through all of this again tomorrow, next week or whenever the system next trips over itself, assuming nothing has changed at the server end to really resolve the problem? It's not something I would want to do on any regular basis.
  11. vicw

vicw New Member

I carefully went through steps a-g of your alternative procedure, including the FDR, but no difference in the end result, unfortunately. I'm going to restore my primary account to the Revue, not expecting that will improve matters, but it will allow me to restore my existing apps.

I did enjoy using the back door access (Up, Up, Down, Down, etc.) to deactivate from the Revue, though.
  12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

if you get the time & feel like trying few more suggestions,

• (temporarily) Create a New "Google account" & remove the existing "Google account" from all Revue devices linked to the same Netflix account (go step by step),

• Clear Netflix App data & "Force stop" from all Revue devices linked to that account.
    • Deactivate (unlink) "Netflix Account" from all Revue devices linked to that account (don't reactivate it yet).
    • Remove the existing "Google account" from all Revue devices.
    • unplug power cord from all Revue devices (except for only one Revue device).
    • Reboot that Revue (unplug /re-plug power cord) ( NOT by Pressing Ctrl + Alt + DEL).
    • Create a New "Google account" to that Revue device.
    • Uncheck (disable) "Background data" & "Auto-Sync", then re-check it back (re-enable it)
    • Sign-in to Netflix Account (re-link it) to that Revue device.
    • Launch Netflix App & try it (Don't run any other app before that).

Btw, skip step "c", if you only have one Revue device.

If that didn't help, try this (go step by step),

• Deactivate (unlink) Netflix Account again from that Revue device (don't reactivate it yet).
    • Perform a Factory-reset - click here for how to?
    • Create a New "Google account" at sign-in (try not to use any of the previous accounts).
    • Don't install any Apps or setup any harmony components.
    • Uncheck (disable) "Background data" & "Auto-Sync", then re-check it back (re-enable it)
    • Sign-in to Netflix Account (re-link it) to that Revue device.
    • Launch Netflix App & try it (Don't run any other app before that).

Notes,

Good luck
  13. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

I just got off the phone with Logitech support...they were unfortunately no help and were completely unaware of any issues. I informed them of the Logitech support form posts and the posts here. They said they would look into it and get back to me...not holding my breath. Hopefully an update comes from somewhere to fix this. Until then I guess I will just use the tv & movie app to see Netflix tiles and use the Netflix website on revue...annoying.
  14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think you should report this to Netflix. My hunch is that Netflix made some changes on their end that are triggering these new issues. That's why non of the Logitech "fixes" are working.
  15. vicw

vicw New Member

I am of the same opinion, but I haven't found a way to communicate the issue to Netflix, without getting caught up in a series of cookie cutter procedures and busy work that will just waste our time. The Netflix app on the Revue was last updated months ago, and I doubt that Logitech has been doing much of anything on the unit Firmware, while the problem has just arisen in the last few weeks, so I don't think the app on the Revue, or the Revue Fimware is at the root of this problem. I really think that it is most likely Netflix made a change recently that has impacted a limited number of customers.

Prior to reporting back to Netflix, there are a couple of things I wish we could establish from feedback on this thread from any user also experiencing the problem:

1. Do you have this problem on an account with a single Revue unit, or multiples? (It seems possible that users reporting the problem may all be on accounts with multiple Revues, but I'm not certain that is true. If so, it might help to explain why just a subset of users are complaining about it.)

2. Have you experienced any improvement by following the suggested procedures offered by Revue5, either the primary suggestion, or the alternate one? (This is not to find fault with the suggestions, just to establish if either of them has had any effect on THIS problem. I would be thrilled to learn that anyone has resolved the problem by either of those procedures.)

In my own case, I have 2 Revues on my account, and I have carefully stepped through the Revue5 alternate procedure, with no improvement. Also, I have a couple of Dish 722 DVRs in the system, the DVRs and the Revues are hard-wired connections, a Linksys E3000 router and ISP service from TWC/Roadrunner. I have the problem using either a fixed or DHCP IP setting.

I think any of us experiencing this problem realize that it is just about a deal breaker with Netflix. As much as I have come to love using Netflix every day, I don't think I will continue paying the subscription very long with such a severely impacted UI.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

....+1
  17. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

I only have 1 revue and I'm seeing the issue. No it has not improved with any procedures...I did not do a factory reset.
  18. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

I also have only one Revue unit and have tried most of the suggested fixes (including following Logitech Tech Support suggestions) with no improvement. My other Netflix accessible devices (a Roku box, a Panasonic Vierra TV w/built-in Netflix app, a Sony Dash Internet Viewer, and a couple of laptops) are not affected. They are accessing the same Netflix account without any issues.
  19. vicw

vicw New Member

Thanks. You and Joendsu disproved my multiple Revue theory, but it's good to have some factual data.

I dread contacting Netflix on this, as I'm convinced they will wrap me up wth the try this try that, FDR your Revue, etc., etc., to get me off the phone, and keep me occupied, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if I contact them. At this point, though, unless most or all Revue users are affected, which doesn't seem to be the case, I have little expectation that it will be taken seriously, or that a fix will be coming for our orphaned Revues. Since my wife and I have become Netflix addicts, I think we will be looking at a Roku pretty soon.

I will try to contact them tomorrow, though, and will report back on the results, or lack thereof.
  20. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

OP, If you only have one Revue, see if this could help,

• From "All Apps", select "TV&Movie App":

• Launch "TV&Movie App".
    • Select "Options" (from lower left corner).
    • Select "Personalization" and "Clear ratings" & "Clear watch history"
    • Press [Back] key to exit "TV&Movie App".
    • Select "TV&Movie App" & press & hold [OK] key.
    • Select "Application info" and "Force stop" & Clear data.
    • Press [Back] key to exit "TV&Movie App".

• From "All Apps", select "Chrome App":

• Launch "Chrome App" and press [Option] key (for Chrome Settings).
    • "Clear saved browsing data" and "Clear cache".
    • Press [Back] key to exit "Chrome App".

• From "All Apps", select "Netflix App":

• Select "Netflix App"& press & hold [OK] key.
    • Select "Application info" and "Force stop" & Clear data.
    • Press [Back] key to exit "Netflix App".

• From "All Apps", select "Settings" and go to "Account & sync":

• Un-check "Background data" the press "OK" ..... (watch the gray button to the right of your account if it turns from gray to red?)
    • Re-check "Background data".
    • Un-check "Auto-Sync" ........(watch the gray button to the right of your account if it turns from gray to red?)
    • Re-check "Auto-Sync".
    • Press [Back] key to exit "Settings".

• Reboot Revue (Press Ctrl + Alt + DEL).

• Launch Netflix App & try it (don't run any Apps before that).

Good luck