Quantcast

NSZ-GS7 shutting off Uverse VIP 1225 IPTV box

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by AlanF51, Jul 23, 2012.

1. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

Hi,
    my setup is Motorola VIP 1225 (uverse) -> NSZ-GS7 ->SONY STR-DN1000
    AVR -> SONY BRAVIA KDL46-XBR9.

I previously had a Logitech revue where
    the NSZ-GS7 sits. Now when I power off it shuts off the IPTV box which then I
    need to unplug to get it started. It also shutsdown the DVR when the NSZ-GS7 goes to sleep. The VIP 1225 should not be shutdown, where do
    I change the remote setting to not power off the VIP 1225? I have turned off HDMI control and it didn't make any difference and I tried the alternate HDMI setting.
    I really can't test it too much becuase when it shutsdown the dvr my programs don't record.

I put the revue back in and the dvr doesn't reboot so it seems like its the new box.

Thanks
    A
  2. aagvain

aagvain New Member

I wonder if I am having the same issue...I thought the 1225 went bad so I got another from att but same issue.

Come to think of it the issue started around the time I got the Sony box.......
  3. tinsnow

tinsnow New Member

my samsung tv had been switching some inputs whenever i turn on/off my sony nsz-gs7. to prevent this i did not supply the correct tv model number to sony while doing the set-up. this worked for me because i have a universal remote and do not need nsz-gs7 to control the tv power on/off.
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Take a look at these notes.
  5. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

I will review over the weekend, I think I have tried all of the steps. Sony wants me to disable all HDMI control which for me defeats the purpose of buying components from the same manufacturer.
    I need to limit my testing to when I don't have any recordings scheduled so the device can have a chance to go to sleep while I am watching live TV and see what it does.
    Is there any way to turn on a debug or logging that would actually show what was happening? I don't relish spending time on the phone starting at the beginning and doing lots of steps I have tried on my own while someone follows a script.

Worse case I send it back and follow the forums and wait for someone else to definitively solve the problem

Thanks
    A-
  6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

To display & verify the list of the connected devices under "BRAVIA Sync"(HMDI- CEC),
    From your Sony TV Settings menu,
    Home > Tool-Box > Channels & Inputs > HDMI settings > Device List

Or, if the TV remote has [SYNC MENU] button press it (press connected devices if shown).

Btw, Revue is not compatible w/HDMI-CEC.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

On Saturday I turned off all the HDMI and power off functions of the NSZ-GS7, and It doesn't show in the sync menu, only the DVD player and the AVR show.

When I switched the AVR to watch a DVD and then came back a few hours later I needed to pull the Power on the DVR to get the TV to come on. I then disabled the DVD and the AVR control via HDMI which left me with sound through the TV.

Powering off the TV had the same affect of crashing the DVR. If I take the output cable directly from the DVR to the AVR and turn the TV off the HD light goes off on the DVR and it sleeps and comes on when I turn the TV on, same result if all HDMI functions on the TV and AVR are enabled.

I guess next Saturday I will call Sony support but I don't have much faith, I really can't accept turning off all control for HDMI when the reason I have all Sony is so the pieces will work together.
  8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

(a part from the main topic) that's how "HDMI-CEC" should function,

However, for sound from AVR speakers & also for true multi channels surround sound (& no sound from TV),
    Set the AVR,
    Menu > GUI (on-screen> Settings > HDMI > Audio Out > AMP (not TV+AMP)

Generally, the TV is the main device that turns "Off"(or "On") other connected components when "HDMI for control" is enabled in the TV settings and the other components settings.

The new Sony TV models have an extra setting option (HDMI Power off) that can be disabled without disabling "HDMI for control" (same for the newer Sony devices).

However your TV doesn't seem to have that extra option (older Sony devices have only one "HDMI for control" setting that includes "Off "(& maybe "On").
    But even though, that may or may not help to keep your Moto-DVR to stay "On".

Something is turning the Moto-DVR to "Off/Standby" when the TV is turned "Off" (without Sony GS7 been in the loop)? Right?

When you have a chance - to diagnose (HDMI-CEC, IR command (remote/blaster) or Power-cords plug-in),
    • Connect the Moto-DVR directly to the TV.
    • Turn "On" Sony GS7 without connection (just to test IR blaster & its remote).
    • Have these three remotes ready > TV Remote, Moto-DVR remote & Sony GS7 remote.

A) Set TV "HDMI for control" > On.
    make sure TV & Moto-DVR & Sony GS7 are turned "On" before each test,

1. With TV Remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    2. With Moto-DVR remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    3. With Sony GS7 remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

B) Set TV "HDMI for control" > Off.
    make sure TV & Moto-DVR & Sony GS7 are turned "On" before each test,

1. With TV Remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    2. With Moto-DVR remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    3. With Sony GS7 remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

Btw, you may also want to check if Moto-DVR (Motorola VIP-1225) is compatible with "HDMI-CEC" (or if its AC power cords is connected into other device instead of the wall outlet).
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  9. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

No, Only when the GS7 is in the loop do I have issues, I have no issues with the DVR turning off with any other setup including a revue in the loop. That is why to simplyfy the test I hooked the TV direct to the DVR with HDMI control on and it does not shutdown the DVR, the only time I have issues is with the GS7 in the loop.

the only test above I haven't tried is
    "With Moto-DVR remote turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off)." as the Moto remote is not programmed to turn the TV off.

I am not sure if the Moto-DVR (Motorola VIP-1225) is compatible with "HDMI-CEC"

Thanks
    Alan
  10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

OK.

If you have time for this lengthy diagnose :confused: try to find out what turns the DVR Off (HDMI-Control, IR Blaster command, incompatible hdmi cable (even it works w/revue) or if some settings not taking effects).
    Also, if some of the below steps you've tried before or look the same, try it again - sometimes hdmi-settings won't take effects when hdmi changes are made till reboot all (specially after unplugging hdmi cable/s).

1) GS7 not connected - IR Blaster: enabled
    =============================

• Make sure Sony GS7 "IR Blaster" is enabled - from System Settings check the box next to "Control with IR Blaster".
    • Unplug HDMI cables from Sony GS7 (DVR > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV).
    • Have these two remotes ready > TV Remote & Sony GS7 remote.

A) Set TV and the AVR "HDMI for control" > On.

1. Reboot all HDMI connected devices (DVR/AVR/TV) critical.
    2. Make sure DVR, AVR & TV > "On".
    3. Make sure GS7 > "Off".
    4. With TV Remote turn "Off" the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    5. Make sure DVR, AVR & TV > "On".
    6. With Sony GS7 remote, turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

B) TV and AVR settings - same as in 'A'

1. Turn "On" Sony GS7 (w/o connections).
    2. Make sure DVR, GS7, AVR & TV > "On".
    3. With Sony GS7 remote turn "Off" the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    4. Make sure DVR, GS7, AVR & TV > "On".
    5. With Sony GS7 remote turn "Off" the GS7 (check if the DVR goes Off).

C) Set TV and the AVR "HDMI for control" > Off.

2. Turn "Off" Sony GS7 (w/o connections).
    3. Make sure DVR, AVR & TV > "On".
    4. Make sure GS7 > "Off".
    5. With TV Remote, turn "Off" the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    6. Make sure DVR, AVR & TV > "On".
    7. With Sony GS7 remote, turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

D) TV and AVR settings - Same as in 'C'

1. Turn "On" Sony GS7 (w/o connections).
    3. With Sony GS7 remote turn "Off" the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    5. With Sony GS7 remote turn "Off" the GS7 (check if the DVR goes Off).

2) GS7 connected - IR Blaster: enabled - Control for HDMI: Off
    ==========================================

• Make sure Sony GS7 "IR Blaster" is enabled - the box next to "Control with IR Blaster" is checked in "System Settings".
    • Plug HDMI cables back to Sony GS7 (DVR > hdmi > GS7 > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV).
    • Set GS7 "Control for HDMI" to "Off",
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > Off
    then,
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > Off

A) Set TV and AVR "HDMI for control" > On.

3. With TV Remote, turn "Off" the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).
    5. With Sony GS7 remote, turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

B) Set TV and AVR "HDMI for control" > Off

1. Reboot all HDMI connected devices (DVR/AVR/TV).
    4. With Sony GS7 remote, turn Off the TV (check if the DVR goes Off).

3) GS7 connected - IR Blaster: enabled - Control for HDMI: On - Unit auto power off: Off
    ==========================================================

• Make sure Sony GS7 "IR Blaster" is enabled - the box next to "Control with IR Blaster" is checked in "System Settings".
    • Plug HDMI cables back to Sony GS7 (DVR > hdmi > GS7 > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV).
    • Set GS7 "Control for HDMI" to "On" and "Unit auto power off" to "Off".
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > On
    then,
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > Off

4) GS7 connected - IR Blaster: enabled - Control for HDMI: On - Unit auto power off: On
    ==========================================================
    • Set GS7 "Control for HDMI" to "On" and "Unit auto power off" to "On".
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > On
    then,
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > On

also try this, while in "TV Mode" press [Menu] button on GS7 remote & scroll down > select STB OFF - see if that (IR Blaster command) works correctly.

Good luck
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

I think the simplest test would be to connect the GS7, power off the TV with the power button on the TV and see what happens. That would eliminate any remote interference questions except what the GS7 IRblaster may do if and when HDMI sends an off signal. Can I disable the IRblaster on the GS7? The TV remote has not powered off the GS7 in any of my previous tests. Also just changing inputs on the AVR put the 1225 in the same need to reboot state which I imagine is bascailly a drop of the hdmi connection to the GS7.

The power button on the remote for the 1225 does not power off the unit, it only puts it in standby, there is no power off button on the unit, the only way to cycle power is to unplug the unit, wait 30-45 seconds and reconnect the power.
  12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Why not, it's worth a try.
    I thing you've mentioned that test early (I just did know what remote you were using?).

Try to turn it [Off/Standby] instead (to avoid other issues - example: test 1 > C ).

Check & see if the TV-remote powers off the DVD? (& I'm assuming the DVD is connected to the TV through the AVR).

If you looking for a simple test try to turn off "Control for HDMI" in all connected devices (TV/AVR/GS7/DVR/DVD) - by unplugging power cords from all, wait few minutes, re-plug power cords, turn on all devices and test it with TV-remote & GS7-remote (btw, this test my not give out all the answers).

Out of curiosity, when you mentioned "crashing the DVR" did you have to reload the DVR firmware? Or you meant the DVR went (off) "Standby mode"?

Looks like you've done lots of work on that issue already. Nice HTS setup!:cool: You also seem to know the equipments well. Hopefully Sony will have some fix for you soon, so you don't have to go through all these time consuming debugging steps.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

there is a power button on the left, short press puts the unit in standby and the light goes off, long press (more than 5 seconds) restarts the system.

When the GS7 is in the loop after the tv has been turned off the light on the power button on the DVR is blinking like its in a reboot but the only way to get it to come up is to remove the power cord and then repower up. There is not a method for user to reload the firmware unless you use 1 of the emergency recovery scenarios, I forget how but one saves your recordings but forces an update and the other forces a factory reset that clears all your recordings and does an update. Updates are pushed downstream by AT&T.
  14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

So, from your detailed description sounds like the DVR is not "shutting off (going into standby mode) but maybe getting an Error (locking) and you're not able to confirm it since you have to perform a hard reboot first.

If so, that could be a handshake issue - Uverse/Cable/Satellite STBs are sometimes receptive to hdmi daisy-chain (4 devices in your HTS) - although no issue w/revue, take look at this HDMI handshake issues links to get some ideas.

Also, when you get the chance try to (temporarily) disable "Control for HDMI" in all devices then reboot all & test it - I hop my suggestions are helping to get closer? And what Sony's latest suggestions are? btw.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  15. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

I replaced my cables on saturday and tired various setups that I will document later. Basically ther DVR has a blue light to show an HD connection, a green light to show sd/on and a red light to show recording.
    With all devices execpt the DVR and GS7 off the blue light is on indicating a HD signal /connection. Last night I powered off with the remote and did not power off the GS7 and it appears that everything stayed up. I will check the logs tonight to make sure on the DVR uptime. If I power off the GS7 it the DVR errors out 3-30 mintues later.

One odd thing when I turned the tv on this morning it had a clock on a gray screen, I used the remote to change it to tv which is the state I left it in last night and all was fine.

I also got an update sometime that I am not sure what it does.
  16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Good :) Let us know if it holds out, so other users may benefit.

That's GS7 Screensaver displaying.

Btw, did you also replaced Revue's original-HDMI cable with a high-speed-HDMI cable?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  17. aagvain

aagvain New Member

if i have the tv, avr, & gs7 powered off, and leave the 1225 powered on then i still experience random reboots. when i leave the gs7 on then the 1225 is fine, no reboots (either left on or off). i have yet to try leaving the avr powered on and everything else off.
  18. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

Yep, bought new monoprice 3 6 and 10ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Metallic Series, I was actually using monoprice cables before, I didn't use the ones that came in the revue box.
    I will run one test one more time but I am 99% positive that with no HDMI OUT connected the DVR rebooted when I powered off the GS7 ( I was in the middle of running the cable to test direct to TV instead of AVR and hadn't powered down the DVR or GS7 yet, the TV and AVR were off)

I need to setup a spreadsheet with all the combinations so I can mark stuff off as I test it. By the time I got new cables pulled and run on saturday it was time to watch the baseball game. This is way too much work to get a entertainment device working :=). It would be real nice if there were debug or error logs on the GS7
  19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^

So, with all new high-speed-HDMI cables, "Control of HDMI" is now working accordingly for Sony devices (TV off > GS7 stay's on)? Handshake issue (part 1) is solved? Right?

You meant, when the HDMI cable was unplugged from GS7 "HDMI OUT" (not from the DVR)? Right?

If so, that would be logic to how the DVR (firmware) expects HDCP-authentication (Uverse STB-firmware constantly updates, btw). Since the GS7 is the closest (HDCP compliant) device to the DVR. I don't think GS7 is blocking communication between DVR & TV when TV turned off but DVR-firmware ability to look ahead over several devices in the daisy-chain is a question mark (unless the GS7 is blasting a DVR IR "Off" command - cover the DVR IR (eye) receiver w/ black electric tap to test it). Taking Revue as an example may not help in this case, because Revue also has similar issues w/Uverse STBs & On/Off not applicable....

@ aagvain - mentioned above, he'll try it w/ DVR & AVR "On" only - that may tell more about the DVR-firmware.

In short, (till more testing is done) keeping GS7 "On" could be one of the workarounds to keep the DVR "On" & solve Handshake (part 2) issue, while enjoying "HDMI-CEC" control.

Tell me about it, had to do it a while back (all new 15 H/S hdmi cables), but it'll pay off at the end with significant PQ/color improvements & zero issues - at least in my setup :D
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  20. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

It appears that keeping the GS7 on has solved the problem, I switched to watch a DVD as a test this moring let it load, then turned it off and when I left this morning the system was still on, I will check again tonight. I am wondering if the latest update fixed something as issues I had after I had swapped all the cabels seem to not be happening now. I won't be doing more intensive testing until this weekend unless it fails in between