Quantcast

NSZ-GT1 Google TV problem using wifi

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Jaybo903, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jaybo903

Jaybo903 New Member

I hooked my Google TV up to our wireless internet and when I checked the speed it said 37mbps, which should be way more than enough to stream netflix, but for some reason it won't run at all. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of any kind of fix? I'm online and will answer any other questions to help solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

2. lchandra

lchandra New Member

I too had a similar problem.. my GTV connection was pretty slow (~2Mbps) while other devices were connecting at about 17Mbps.. I connected via ethernet to by-pass this issue... Could not figure out how to make it connect wireless and still maintain the speed..

3. teslafied

teslafied New Member

I'm having the same issue as we speak. My Wi-Fi started getting flakey about 6 months ago. It wouldn't connect to my encrypted network suddenly, only to my Guest. Today it won't detect any Wi-Fi at all. I tried system reset but that didn't help. I'm thinking Sony put really cheap Wi-Fi chips in these devices. My unit is only a little over a year old. I read its obsolete already. I'd expect to get years of use from it, not just a year. I paid good money for it and it wasn't cheap! If I can't resolve it or get Sony to help then I think that may be the end of my loyalty with them.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Haven't noticed any Wi-Fi issues on the GS7. I have 2 GTV devices running & typing via my computer at the moment. Just streamed a video in another thread w/no problem. I really don't think it's the unit. Try resetting the modem/router. Also testing via Ethernet might help in troubleshooting. It just might be yer ISP. GTV units don't really effect Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi effects the unit. There were earlier bugs that caused some units to drop the connection. But that was addressed a while ago.

Carl

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi with the NSZ-GT1 has been rock solid here, I have three NSZ-GT1s, all were customer returns I purchased used but only one is connected currently but each has been tested thoroughly. I also haven't had any issues on the network with any of the 15 or so other devices connected by Wi-Fi, Google TV boxes, TiVos, Blu-ray players, Rokus, laptops, tablet and an iPhone 5.

If you have an ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter, you might try that to see if it works. I have used the Linksys WGA600N with great results on my network.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here are some Wi-Fi troubleshooting tips from the Sony web site:

View Document

7. teslafied

teslafied New Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences. The problem with my unit is very likely the unit itself, regardless of whether you've had issues with yours. When I go to settings, Network, Status, my Wi-Fi MAC address lists "Unavailable". If I then go back one screen to network and select Wi-Fi (not connected) it's reads Wi-Fi Error.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I related my experience in response to your claim "I'm thinking Sony put really cheap Wi-Fi chips in these devices". I have 3 and see no issues with any of the 3, I think your claim is false but that doesn't mean yours hasn't quit working properly, it sounds like it has.

9. CatfishRivers

Did you try troubleshooting from the Sony document I linked to in my post #6 in this thread?

I'll post it here:

"The Wi-Fi® signal drops out or keeps losing connection. Solution

If you are experiencing problems connecting to an active Internet connection, wireless service, no sound when using the Party Streaming feature or if you have audio dropout issues, you may need to reduce wireless interference on your system or change the location of your router. Follow these steps to try to improve your wireless network range and signal:

IMPORTANT: The speed of your Internet connection should be strong and fast enough to allow you to connect your wireless network system. We recommend that you test the speed of your Internet connection first, which would also affect any issues you may experience with audio dropout.

NOTE: This solution provides good, generalized troubleshooting for audio dropout and wireless connection issues. However, if you are experiencing video buffering issues, additional troubleshooting is available.

Check for a firmware update for your router.
    -- Wireless communication problems may occur when using your wireless LAN router/access point if you have not updated the router to the latest firmware and/or software upgrade. Make sure that your router/access point has been upgraded to the most recent firmware upgrade, as these upgrades may improve and increase the performance of your router.

Check the location of your server or router.
    -- If your server and component devices are located in a different room from where you have installed your wireless LAN router/access point, the wireless communication bandwidth could be too low or weak due to poor signal strength. Try to install your server, component devices and wireless LAN router/access point in an area of your home that is centrally located, if at all possible. If you move the system close to the router, you will increase the strength and the speed of the signal. If moving the location of the router is not possible, you can try using a wireless repeater/extender.

Make sure the router is broadcasting the Service Set Identifier (SSID).
    -- In many cases the Internet video device will loose connection to the router between uses if the SSID is not being broadcast. To resolve this issue, change the router security setting to broadcast the SSID.

Check for obstacles.
    --If there are any type of metallic objects (such as a metal desk, file cabinet, etc.), walls or if the router is on the floor, all of these could lead to poor wireless network performance near your server, component devices or wireless LAN router/access point. The farther away the router is from these objects, the stronger your connection will be.

Change your channel.
    -- Due to interference from other wireless LAN networks, the current channel on your home network could become unstable; however, another channel may be clear and free of interference. Try changing the WIFI channel setting on your wireless LAN router/access point to see if the strength of your signal improves. Since the configuration on each router is different, if assistance is needed on how to change this setting, refer to the manual that came supplied with your router or visit the manufacturers website.

NOTE: The following tools can be used to inspect your wireless network and surrounding networks.

The inSSIDer tool will allow you to scan all surrounding wireless networks and determine the wireless channels they are operating on. It will also allow you to change the wireless channel frequency to one that is currently not used. This tool can be found at inSSIDer - Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek.
    The Wifi Analyzer tool for Android™ devices turns your Android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer. This app is available through the Google Play™ store app on your Android smartphone.

Check the antenna on your router.
    -- Most of the antennas that come supplied with routers are able to broadcast in different directions. If you have a window near the router, try moving the antenna towards the window. If you are close to a wall, try positioning the antenna away from the wall. If your router has a removable antenna, check with the manufacturer to see if a) you are able to remove the current antenna without voiding a possible warranty and b) if they have a higher strength antenna that will improve your wireless signal.

Check other types of wireless interference.
    -- Devices that emit electromagnetic radiation frequency waves (such as microwave ovens, cordless telephones, baby monitors, etc.) or other wireless communication devices will cause noise or interference that will result in poor wireless network performance. Due to the noise that these objects can generate, your server or computer may not be able to hear or communicate with the router. Try unplugging any of these items, such as a phone and/or a baby monitor to see if the interference improves. You may need to contact the manufacturer of your device to determine what frequency the device uses.

Check for an encryption key setting.
    -- If your wireless network system is secured by encryption, the security key setting (WEP, WPA/WPA2) may be wrong, which would prevent you from connecting to the network. Confirm the security key setting on your wireless LAN router/access point and set the correct security key on the unit. Also, WPA2 is recommended, provided your equipment supports it. This is a more secure and more efficient security protocol, so streaming should be improved.

NOTE: Changing the wireless encryption protocol may resolve certain issues. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for additional information or assistance in changing the wireless encryption protocol.

Check the firewall settings.
    -- If your computer is being used as the server for your wireless network system, if the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) function is active on the computer, this may prevent the system from connecting to the computer. You may need to temporarily disable or change the firewall settings to allow the system to connect. (Details on changing the firewall settings can be found in the manual that came supplied with your computer.)

If you continue to experience network issues after following all of the steps above, we recommend using a wired LAN connection from your modem or router."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. CatfishRivers

Also as suggested in step #2 in the following article - I suggest checking to make sure that your router hasn't filtered out your Sony GTV device. You might have to enable your Sony GTV by manually entering the MAC address of your GTV:

10 Wireless Router Features You Should Be Using but Aren't | PCMag.com

From the article:

"Any device that connects to a network has a MAC address assigned to its network adapter. To help lock security down on a network, use MAC address filtering to deny or provide access to your network.

MAC filtering is a standard feature on just about any wireless router. It can be used one of two ways: to prevent specific devices from accessing a network or to allow specific devices access.

To use it, enable it within the router's management interface. You then add each device's MAC address and select if you want to deny or grant that device access. The steps may vary a bit depending on the routers you have, but this is essentially how MAC filtering is configured on home and small business wireless routers. Quick tip: in most wireless devices the MAC address can be found in the network settings. From a Windows client, run the command "ipconfig/all." The physical address associated with the machine's wireless card is the MAC address. For OS X, find the MAC address under "Network Preferences," and in Linux use the "ifconfig -a" command as root user."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. teslafied

teslafied New Member

Hi ChrisG8 - Thanks for the comment. I suppose my claim was a bit presumptuous. I was basing it on my own terrible experience with this unit and some other online discussions I've found that were similar. Since I'm likely not going to fork out about $200 to replace it and Sony's not going to do anything about it since its beyond 12 months, I'll probably use a wired method either through a Powerline or Wi-Fi gaming adapter. I'm pretty certain the wireless chip in my unit is hosed.

CatfishRivers - Thanks for all the assistance as well. There's some really good advise on things to check in your comments. Unfortunately, the issue with my unit is that the Wi-Fi won't even turn on to detect an SSID or any wireless broadcast. The problem is the unit not my router.

Thanks to you both for your time and effort to help me. It's users like you guys that make these forums such a great resource. I hope to pay it forward!

12. alan93

alan93 Member

My NSX GT1 just started having the same problem.
    The router signal is showing weak but on the computers it is showing as strong.
    The tv says "obtaining ip address" to "connecting" to "scanning" but doesn't connect.
    This has been fine with the exact same set up for 2 years. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

Is it now broke all of a sudden?

13. teslafied

teslafied New Member

I don't know if it's the same exact cause as mine. It's pretty frustrating. I wound up having to move my router and go direct via ethernet, which wasn't desired. I looked to see if it was possible to plug in a WiFi USB stick, but couldn't get that working. Either I got a bad device from Sony or the WiFi built in was made crappy from the start. I never had such a short lived electronic for this high cost. I'm not happy about that or the fact that they stopped updating it so soon (the Amazon Instant Video doesn't work and isn't even supported on it).

14. BobinVA

BobinVA New Member

I had problems recently with wi-fi drop on my Google TV 24in (2011 edition) I'd initially added a range extender to extend the wireless signal. I went out and bought a new router which didn't really help my wi-fi issues.

Both of my routers and the range extender are Cisco products.

My workaround was to leave the new router's default address as 192.168.1.1,change the secondary (old) router's address to 192.168.1.250,and make the range extender a "client device" of the new router. (Using wi-fi protected setup.)

After doing that I connected the range extender to the old router with an ethernet cable and voila,a good strong,wi-fi signal to the Google TV from the older,secondary router.

My main computer (Mac Mini 2007) generally uses the signal from the new router.

Once in a great while,I use the signal from the new router with the Google TV,if it's strong enough.

15. alan93

alan93 Member

Well mine started working again with wifi, I have 2 bars on the tv indicator. It must have been something interfering with it yesterday. I tried an Ethernet cable and noticed a big difference in speed and performance so I bought a long 30ft cat6 and will end up using that from now on I think.