Quantcast

OMG this thing sucks

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by c1tobor, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

I really want to like this device but it is so full of bugs I can't stand it. Every time I search in Chrome I get "webpage unavailible" or just a bunch of youtube results. Everything seems to be hit or miss.I really can't believe two large companies like Logitech and Google can put out a product like this. I am typing this on a Veiwsonic GTab so I know about crappy support, but this takes the cake.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  2. squeezon

squeezon New Member

Funny how many people report it works pretty good. I suggest you go and read the various "fixes" in the Logitech Forum at Logitech. Mine works fine and I can hardly wait to get the 3.2 update.
  3. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

when it works it is fine. But for example, when I search for "this" site, I may or may not get it in the results. And even if I do and click on it, the site is down for maintenance. I have to "reload" this page later, and then I get here.

Like I said, "I really want to like the device" but it just seems so full of problems I get more frustrated with it the more I use it sometimes.

Right now for example, I try to enlarge the Font, which works, but it doesn't resize the window, just expands everything where I have to try to scroll around the page to see what/where I'm typing. I mean really, my stupid tablet knows how to do that.

It just seems like it could be so much better if either corporation cared. Honeycomb 3.2? ...not going to hold my breath.... ICS? ....I'm waiting to win the lottery also....lol

Have to zoom-out to micro-print to find the "submit" button.......sheesh

Maybe its just Google that I don't like. If I search on Yahoo, Be it the Revue, Gtab, PC, I get the results I expect. I search in Chrome and god only knows what results I get, kinda like Bing.........
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

c1tobor,
    The problem with googletvforum not loading up on a google tv is well known and talked about elsewhere on here as I ran across the thread in the past and could not believe it until I tried it myself. I have no idea why this site wont load on a google tv but it's not just your revue that has the problem. I have the exact same results when trying to view this site with my google tv device as well with the 3.2 patch.
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Nothing like you describe happens with either of mine, no idea what the cause of your problems are but nothing you state sounds like an inherent flaw with the Revue to me. A faster processor and continued support by Logitech are the only improvements I can suggest after 6 months use. I wouldn't recommend anybody purchase the device now based on concerns Logitech may not support it beyond the warranty terms, it is in need of firmware updates already to keep up with the Sony box, and new GTV boxes are coming from several manufactures later this year.
  6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

ChrisG8,
    They are referring to trying to load up the http://www.googletvforum.org website on the google tv. I know when I try searching for it using the chrome browser that comes with google tv or try to type the address in and load it , it does not work unless they fixed the problem lately.
  7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Overall I'm pleased with my Revue.

However there are a few bugs - such as occasionally my Revue just randomly reboots itself when I'm web surfing. When it reboots it doesn't go to the normal Flash screen or home page - but rather either a black screen or a web search that I did like 5 pages ago. Kind of weird.

I noticed that generally this happens when I'm in the middle of moving the cursor kind of fast. Although not always.
  8. ChrisG8

I have this forum bookmarked and access it often using my Revue. The search function here works poorly whether I am using my laptop or Revue.
  9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

How did you get it to load as it never loads for me. Are you using opendns as that may be why it wont load for me.
  10. ChillyCat

ChillyCat New Member

Luv it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Works GREAT !!!!

*scratches head and remembers 90% of problems are at the other end*
  11. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname New Member

I also have this forum bookmarked on my Revue, and read it every day with no problems.
  12. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

OK ...so maybe I was a little harsh in the OP because I had just gotten so frustrated with the Revue on that day.I don't have a cable box so I don't get the full benefit of the device anyway, just use it for Surfing and Netflix.

I just seems like the device is not very user friendly and the simplest things I can do on my tablet or pc seems to be a trial and error thing on the Revue. I bought the revue more on a "whim" as I didn't really need it and the price was great at $99 for a newer peice of technology. But if I paid the original asking price I really would have been upset.

Adding a bookmark to the home screen for the GTV forum is a great idea to fix the problem of not getting there through Google search, But just adding the bookmark to one of the "7" shortcuts while I have a huge black screen full of space is a "what were they thinking" moment. I've have tried the different launchers with some success but It also seems to create other problems. Why didn't they just make the Home screen like any other computer product is beyond me.

I will continue to try and learn more and master it but, I really hope they come out with some more updates to make it more convienient and bit more useful.
  13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

try this,

Tip: To Add a whole Bookmarks folder to Home Screen – click here

Cheers
  14. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

That's funny -- I was thinking of asking a mod to change the thread title to something like, "OMG my expectations for the Revue were high and it let me down!!!"

I definitely agree it's a clunky beast, but then again I've owned maybe 9 or 10 Android devices -- rooted most of them, installed custom ROMs on many -- so I'm really comfortable with devices that need a gentle hand. I ended up selling my Viewsonic gTablet because the screen was unbearable -- but if a device reasonably delivers what it promises (I get GREAT browsing experiences with the Revue compared to the PS3 or Wii) and offers decent customization choices, it's worth it to me!

Glad to see you're warming up to it. :)

-Matt
  15. ChrisG8

If you are coming from a nice STB with a great user interface or a smart phone or Roku with neat apps and a pretty user experience, this Google TV thing is certainly clunky. I like it because I can find what I want using the fullsize keyboard and don't care if it isn't pretty. I am not much to look at either.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The forum finally loaded for me last night after I refreshed the page a few times. So the problem must have gotten fixed since the last time I tried loading the forum as before it would never load for me.
  17. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

Well on the subject of not being able to get to this site via GTV.......I have found I can go to yahoo, search there, and sometimes it will go, other times it won't. Side loaded "Dolphin" and while its slow....seems to work, and I can side-load pluggins..

I suppose it is a "clunky beast" but I am a fan of the "underdog".

Like I said in the OP that I really want to like this device. But my Gtab has allowed me to do things that Google/Logitech doesn't allow, and after all, that's what I though Android was about.

As a big fan of the much aligned Gtab, I feel this device would also be a "remember when" moment if these two big Tech company's would do what's right to their customers instead of their WallStreet friends.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  18. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Ooops, my apologies for disrespecting the gTab -- fwiw I actually became a mod at androidtablets.net on the gTab subforum. For about 6 months it was a great relationship, and I learned a tremendous amount by modding it over and over (and over!). But ultimately another tablet won its way into my heart.

It is quite interesting, the similarities between the gTab and GTV (the Revue, specifically). I sometimes wish that companies would put a "just throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks" sticker on their products, so we better understood which ones could be abandoned at any moment.

-Matt
  19. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

Still no 3.2 update, Have to reboot the Revue every time I try to open Netflicks, usually atleast once.

I mean come-on, they have probes on the outer edges of our solar system, nano technology, telescopes that can almost view the Big Bang, and the Logitech Revue.

How embarrasing to all those involved in the development of this technology (and I use that term loosely) product.
  20. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i have a feeling that having the new up date will not solve your problem..
    tech projects like google tv require you to take a bit of a more active roll in problem solving
    you just dont press a button and every thing is ok... if you want that buy a roku..
    i have not had a bit of a problem with net flix once i figured out the system
    and i have not had that many flash crashes one i figured out how to keep the system lean
    and keep the avail mem high enough... i have had far far more things go right with google tv
    then ever go wrong with it... mho.. this little device is quite remarkable. i attribute a lot
    of piss and moan to operator error.. you should just sell it and get something you can deal with..
    mho
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.