Quantcast

Please help, how can I stream video files from my computer to Sony NSZ-GT1 using a PC

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by MadeInBrazil, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MadeInBrazil

MadeInBrazil New Member

Hello, I just got the Sony NSZ-GT1 and I'm trying to stream files from my storage PC, I'm using Windows XP on it and all my files are stored partition D:. I have a WD Live TV which I stream files just fine through my network. I'm really new to Google TV and I'm having a hard time setting this thing up as from my research so far it connects differently than the WD Live TV, it seen that I need to use some kind of DLNA server. I installed TVersity but I have no ideia how to make this work yet. So please if anyone can help me let me know what steps I need to do to be able to make this work.

Question I have so far:

It seen that I need a DLNA server, and I think TVersity does that, but do I go and find this on the set-up box? Should I go to: "All Apps" -> "Media Player"? If yes, All I can find on that is: Alarms, DCIM, Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, Ringtones, tapjoy; and all says "Internal Memory".

Also I have tried Windows Media Player 11, and I was able to find my device (sony NSZ-GT1) and allow it, but I don't know where to look for it on my device.

Thanks in advance for any help, also which in your preference is the best DLNA program to use for videos?

2. MadeInBrazil

MadeInBrazil New Member

So I got it working (well kind of) through Google Chrome, typing the IP address and the port number got me to the files I have on my shared folder (which I added to the TVersity Library), the Playback was kind of smooth with sometimes seen to have a little video lag.

Is there another way to access this files? I did not like chrome too much as I cant get a full screen because of the address bar and the play/pause option.

3. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Right through the media player app.

When you launch the app, it will scan the network and it should find your computers tversity and all that you have shared with it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

4. dakjones

dakjones New Member

I'm having the same issue but mine is even more troubling and here is why. My primary desktop machine contains all of my media. I have all media files set to be shared, all of my devices are listed in the windows 7 sharing center as "Allowed". I use windows 7 media player and media center for all of my media. The media player app on My Sony GTV NSX40-GT1 cannot see any other media source other than its internal drive. Windows sees the GTV. I'm not at all new to streaming network media. I have a Logitech revue in another room that finds the media with no issue. My PS3, XBOX 360, my Samsung TV, and two blu ray players all see the media. All of these devices are hard wire connections as well.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

5. eferz

eferz New Member

Here's my suggestion use a third-party DLNA server instead of Microsoft's crappy media player sharing.

6. dakjones

dakjones New Member

I solved my issue. I had recently began using an old router that I had as a switch. The Sony GTV was hard wired to that switch. I forgot to disable DHCP on that router and I had the host line plugged into the WAN port instead of a LAN port. I had an IP conflict. Disabling DHCP and switching the ports fixed the issue.

7. johnnysocko

johnnysocko New Member

This is great advice, but I gotta tell you, this just is a never ending trip down the rabbit hole. To be honest, I've no problem paying for something which would make this whole thing simpler. I've been playing around with all sorts of DLNA servers, just trying to find one that can facilitate PC content streamed to my NSZ-GT1. My content is basic

1. Ripped Blurays via MakeMKV
    2. Ripped DVDs via MakeMKV
    3. Recorded live TV files (TS)

Since Twonky, I decided to try the (free) PS3 MediaServer, and then even a trial of Mezzo. I found if I disable transcoding from both of those, they play the streamed content just fine. Enable it, and files report corrupt. That confused the heck out of me, since from what I read about DLNA certified, and transcoding, well, how can transcoding be a bad thing. I just don't get it. But, I'm no expert, and I can admit it. At this point of trial and error, I see little diff between PS3 and Mezzo except cost or if I want to go to a Linux based NAS perhaps. Mezzo possibly has some sexier features built in, but I'm just trying to get things to play now.

But, there's PlayOn, which seems to seamlessly be able to play my rips.
    Also, I found using this BubbleUPnP I can assign a Sony TV renderer to the streaming PS3 server and that plays fine.

For giggles, I decided to see how the Xbox would behave. It can't see anything from either DLNA server, but what do you know, PlayOn can serve up the content and it gets played just fine as well. Makes me wonder if I can ever have one DLNA server satisfying all my devices, not that I really care about the iPad at this point. But, reading DLNA Wiki - the whole idea is interchangability, plug-n-play, and simplicity. I don't see it from here yet.

How about this - any suggestions on where to start if someone wants to figure all this nonsense out? Trying to piece it together from forums hasn't been too fruitful after a couple weeks.

Thanks ahead of time, just for reading my dribble.

8. eferz

eferz New Member

The problem you don't understand is that neither Sony or Logitech Media Players are DLNA certified. They are complaint to the fundamentals of DLNA functionality but they don't have the certification. So, here's the kicker; DLNA certified systems can play movies with MPEG2 and LPCM since that is the bare minimum requirement for DLNA home devices. That's the format which most multimedia servers will transcode to if they don't have a customized profile for your multimedia device.

The profile will dictate which formats are compatible for your device, so that the server knows which files need to be transcoded and which can be natively streamed. Unfortunately, not every developer has put forth the effort to actually create a suitable profile for the Google TV. So, transcoding to it is hit or miss depending on the content you own and which server you decide to use. That's why I prefer to keep my files in one compatible format amongst all my devices.

Like it or not, MKV files are not excepted by all devices. This makes it a bad format choice for multimedia containers if you have an array of heterogeneous devices and cannot find a transcoding server to support them all. My personal choice in formats is an MP4 container, H.264 video stream, and a AAC audio stream. This will play on every single device I own; Logitech Revue, Sony Internet TV, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, iPhone, iPad, and Tivo Premiere. And all my movies are stored on a NAS with a low power 500Mhz processor so transcoding is impossible.

• Like Like x 2
  9. johnnysocko

johnnysocko New Member

Cool, I was wondering if the mp4 wasn't a better route. I was actually about to convert a mkv to mp4 to see if that worked better across the board. I had been following this "lifehacker hassle free guide to ripping" and didn't like the idea of ripping and then converting/reencoding. Why do two time consuming things if I could only do one? I had picked up on your NAS comment, and you've got me strongly considering that now as well. I did finally get the xbox to play the transcoded files from PS3 MS and it wasn't a pretty site...

• Like Like x 2
  10. atandon

atandon New Member

Note though that MP4 formats do NOT support DTS.
    .ts may be a better option
    Though to be honest I have not tried this. Still in the research phase :)

11. eferz

eferz New Member

MP4 is a multimedia container which can accept any type stream you chose to mux into it. However, not all media players can read MP4 containers will also play DTS audio streams. MPEG2 Transport Stream (ts) files/containers are great for High Detail Video and Audio streams; however, their device compatibility is rather limited in comparison to MP4 files.

12. atandon

atandon New Member

There is a wikipedia page that compares all the containers. Can't post the link because of my post count
    it looks like DTS is not supported with mp4 containers

Need to investigate this a little more

13. eferz

eferz New Member

Well, then the Wiki page is wrong. I've used Halaai to mux DTS streams streams into MP4 files before. In fact, there's an old thread in the Doom9's Forums, "How to mux AC3/DTS streams in mp4". The main purpose of a container is to specify how multiple streams are interleaved. This provides a linear time line between them which is one of preventative measures against desynchronization. The minor differences about the individual container formats is how they store the meta data.

I suspect this is the link you were referring to Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Apparently, I'm wrong about about "ANY" type of stream according to that article. However, as I explained earlier, it does support DTS/AC3.

14. George

George New Member

GTVBox player supports windows shares directly, plays most file, avi, mpg, mp4 mkv the blue ray box nsz-gt1 does DTS and using GTVBox player you can evenslect the second audio track if you have that need. WORKS GREAT!

15. atandon

atandon New Member

Oooh! Nice!
    By any chance do any of you have links to the UI for this player?
    Are you able to display artwork (or at least thumbnails at a minimum) for your video files. If yes then I am ordering this today :)

EDIT: Never mind. I saw some videos online with users able to display thumbnails. Nsz-gt1, here I come :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  16. pdelisle22

pdelisle22 New Member

Use the Plex app. Works great on Sony Google tv for me.

17. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I've been playing with Plex since the weekend... it's reallly nicely done, well polished and not difficult at all to setup (just give it time to scan your system and be patient with the sluggish backend interface).

I disabled it last night though, because the main reason for setting it up was to be able to stream Hulu (and maybe someday Vudu), but alas, no matter what I try I just can't get the Hulu plugin to come up in the GTV client app... if anyone has any tips I'll be glad to hear it (plugin doesn't show up in the "more" section, even with compatibility filtering turned off). #HELP!

Aside from that tho, it's awesome, but then I discovered the stock media player, plays all the same files... (yeh I know backwards discovery), so for now I'm switching off Plex. No sense having the server take up cycles on my machine if I'm not gonna be using it.

18. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Sorry, did some reading and discovered that my particular problem is related to the fact that I am using the Windows version of the media server. It doesn't support the Hulu plugin.

Next up: PlayOn

19. Shadez

Shadez New Member

All Sony Google TV's are DLNA certified for photos only. As for sharing via pc's a blue tooth adapter but am not sure.

20. saeba

saeba Active Member

Not sure where you read that. I'm running the Windows Plex Media Server and was able to add the Hulu Channel. Easiest way is to install the Plex Media Client on your PC as well and then use the client to add channels. I have PlayOn as well :)!