Quantcast

Plex Problems

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by KLINK, Apr 2, 2012.

1. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I have the Sony GTV Box. When I try to play a video in the channels section the loading circle spins for a few seconds, then I get this message: The media player timed out while trying to start playback.

What do I need to do to correct this problem?
  2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I assume your running the plex server on a spare computer as if your not that needs to be done. When the media player times out it could be your computer running the plex media server is not beefy enough or that your network is slow or the file or channel is not supported.

Hard to tell what is wrong since your not posting what troubleshooting steps you took so far to fix the problem.
  3. KLINK

KLINK New Member

Thanks for the reply.

The only steps I have taken have been going into the Media Player and Plex apps on my GTV box to see if there were any settings that I could change and found none. I have Plex Media Player on my PC and have no troubles. I am able to play videos from Revision 3 with my Plex App with my GTV box.

My PC is a HP XP 2005 Media Center Edition with SP3. It has a Pent. 4 3 ghz. process. with hyper threading and 1 gig of mem.

I have a Belkin N1 Vision Router (300 Mbps) and a Netgear 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit.
  4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

By any chance are you running the revue and not the Sony GTV box as I know the revue has problems since it does not have the patch that is needed to enable the feature your talking about. Check to make sure your google tv is up to date and your google tv supports HLS as it sounds like your GTV box is either not up to date or you have the logitech revue that does not support many channels like the patched sony products do.
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

It sounds like you installed plex media player on the computer and still need to install plex media server as if the media server is installed on the computer , you'll see it's icon in the lower right of windows by your clock and you can click the icon to play with the settings.
  6. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I have the Sony NSZ-GT1 box. The firmware is at 3.2 and when I check for updates it says that I am up to date.
  7. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I have the Plex Media Server and the Plex Media Player on my PC.
  8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

How fast is your net connection klink as usally when you get a timeout message when trying to stream media, that means your not getting the file in a timely manner. From what you told me , you should have no problem with plex. By the way , what channel are you having trouble with as maybe I can add it to my copy of plex and see if I have the same problem.

If you don't want to say for some reason , plex has a dedicated user forum that may be able to help you out better then here. It's at Plex Forums
  9. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I have Comcast. They say my speed should be 20 Mbps down. I just checked my speed at Speedtest.net and got 28 Mbps down.

The channels I have a problem with are ABC, CBC, CBS, CBS Sports, NBC, Hulu, TSN, and South Park.
  10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

When you go to access plex on your google tv does the name of your plex server show up or does some other name show up. Have you entered your user name and password in the appropriate settings box for hulu before trying to access hulu ? Does going to http://localhost:32400/manage/index.html#home open up the plex menu or your computer by any chance as if it does not then more then likely your plex server is not running and needs to be turned on before you can access it.

Trying out South Park now - brb
    Looks like south park gave me the same problem as you and hulu wont let me enter my user name and password. Looks like they messed up some stuff since the latest update.

At the moment I will have to check out the plex forums and see if they know about this problem.
  11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Klink,
    I reported the hulu problem and the southpark problem over on the forums under the google tv area but I was able to get ABC to work on plex. I will report back if anyone in the plex forums answers the problem over there with a fix.
  12. KLINK

KLINK New Member

Thanks for the update. Can you get CBS or NBC to work?
  13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

CBS worked but NBC bombed out the same as South Park and Hulu. By the way the problem I am having when trying to access South Park and NBC and Hulu is a pop up that gives me an error and gives me 3 options to report the error all the time , just once or forget the error.

If I click one of the3 error reporting buttons and leave the google tv sit , the channels start playing for me but look crappy as heck - is your copy of plex doing the same thing as if it is you should report it over at the plex forums as that way i wont be the lone person having the problem.
  14. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I get the same 3 error buttons but when I press any of the buttons the only thing that happens is that I get timed out message. When I get a chance over the weekend I will give your message a me too at the plex forums.
  15. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Klink,
    check for a new update for plex for google tv and install it if you have not already. I tested hulu on the new version and the problem is fixed with the bugs we were having.
  16. KLINK

KLINK New Member

I'm glad it worked for you. I updated and there was no change. The media player times out.
  17. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Klink - Check your firewall and or virus scanner and see if one of those are causing the time outs. I seen stuff like this happen with over aggressive protective software that locks everything down to protect people and usally adding a rule or two will fix the problem. If that is the problem you may have to ask on the makers website on what to do to make it work.
  18. KLINK

KLINK New Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

Before I shut down the VS and FW, I found out that I can play videos from Imovies, History Channel and Video Jug. Shutting down the VS and FW did not help with the other channels.

When I checked the min. req. ,it says At least 2GB of RAM, 4GB recommended. I only have 1GB of Ram. Windows Vista or above is required for Flash and Silverlight video. I have XP SP3.
  19. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Sorry to hear that :( Sounds like you have an excuse to get a new computer now :)
  20. senecal.tony

senecal.tony New Member

Sorry about jumping in late and not exactly matching the issue, but, I am at a stand still. I get an error message that the google tv "revue box" timed out waiting on the Plex server. Just replaced the AT&T UVerse modum and think it may have to do with firewalls? Also, removed the Plex server from the computer and re-installed. Was working great; Plex on computer sending all movies, music, pictures, etc through google tv revue box. Any suggestions?