Quantcast

Review: Samsung D8000 Smart TV 55-Inch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 27, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Overall the reviewer says the Samsung D8000 Smart TV is a nice television - however the Smart TV element leaves something to be desired (mainly because web browsing is poor). Review: Samsung D8000 Smart TV 55-inch - NDTVGadgets.com
  2. CatfishRivers

3. eferz

eferz New Member

Maybe its just me but I don't like "120hz" or higher televisions. The fact that it is basically making up frames which don't actually exist sort of blows my mind. I understand the algorithms it uses to fill in the in-between frames of the true 60hz signal. But, many of the tricks movie producers and programmers employ to create depth are unraveled because of it and results is a distracting lack of depth. Sure, I think its great for watching sports but that's about it. Plus, buffering / lag is inherit with this technology making gaming on such as screen undesireable without the ability to shut it off.
  4. CatfishRivers

I think the best thing is for a TV to have a switch to turn on the 120HZ function when preferred (such as for football games) - and then turn it off (go back to 60HZ for ordinary programming). I think some of the better models have this ability to switch the 120HZ function on and off.
  5. eferz

eferz New Member

I agree but this functionality should be toggled by a single button on the remote, instead of a a series of buttons presses to navigate menu settings. This is something I have yet to see in any television to date.
  6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Yeppers, My Samsung 46" has 3 modes of hz. on it,
    including on/off.