Quantcast

Should I return my NSX 40GT1??

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Robbiegore, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

My new NSX 40GT1 just got delivered from Amazon today. As soon as i turned it on I had a feeling that something was going to go wrong. The first thing that popped up after I turned the tv on was an option to set it to Home or Retail use. I grabbed the remote to select home and continue the setup, however I was somewhat surprised when i didn't get any response from the remote. I instantly began searching the internet for problems like this and came across the technique of using a usb keyboard to proceed through the steps and download the updates. Once the updates were finished I was presented with the Pair Keyboard screen,Which, at this point, I thought all my troubles were over( because this was what i was trying to get to all along). I begin the pairing process only to be let down once again. After countless tries and at least 4 sets of batteries I caved in and called Sony Support. I was told to restore the tv to factory settings and try again. Once again I was given the "5 blinks of death" from the LED on the remote. Finally, the rep. told me that they would replace my remote for free and hope that the new one will work. At this point I am beginning to think that I should just send the entire tv back and get a "dumb" tv. I just wanted to make sure that nobody else has gone through this same(or similar) scenario and had success. I really want to keep the TV(it is very cool, after all) But i have a bad feeling already and I haven't even been able to use any of the Tv's functionality. If anyone can give me any insight or advice, I would appreciate it very much.

2. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

My own personal advice is to try to get the whole remote thing sorted out. This TV is so amazing it'd be a shame to toss it just because of a remote malfunction... unless of course you're a guy who really DOES want a dumb TV. If it is just a remote problem, then I doubt you'll regret the delays of delay.

3. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

that's actually what I have been leaning towards now that I have had more time to think about it. I guess my main fear is that the actual TV is defective and after I receive my new remote I will most likely be past my return window for Amazon. Hopefully I would be able to work something out with Sony. I would still like other opinions on what to do

4. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I'm curious as to what are the hints giving you the feeling that the TV itself is defective? While I've not experienced the problem you are having myself, it sounds to me like it's a remote issue... especially since it sounds like the TV functions fine via the USB Keyboard (is that true?).

In terms of other possibilities, short of the TV being defective, it could be a Bluetooth issue, maybe the Bluetooth mechanism on either the TV or the remote is bad, maybe you could try pairing with some other devices to check.

In terms of return policies, hopefully since you started the dialogue within the window of opportunity then there will be possibilities for the returns. I would say review Sony and Amazon's policies and make the wisest choice... but don't wait until the time runs out, raise it with both their support teams now.

5. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

Thanks Guys.
    I sent the remote back earlier today. I figured that I would try a new remote and see if it works(mainly because it is a lot easier to ship a small remote than it is a tv). If it turns out that the TV is actually bad then hopefully Sony will take of it. The more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking that I wouldn't find nearly as good a value in a tv as I did this one(I paid $600 new from Amazon). The main reason that I felt that the TV could have been defective was probably just a light case of Buyer's remorse mixed with the frustration of getting a brand new tv(which from what I have seen looks AWESOME) and not being able to use it. Hopefully this will all be straightened out soon....

6. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Any word on when you will be getting back the TV?

7. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

Nope. In fact, in 2 days it will be 2 weeks since I sent the remote off and I haven't heard anything from Sony. I emailed customer service yesterday to see if there was any way that I could get the status of my repair, but so far I haven't gotten any response. I hope this doesn't turn out like the other horror stories I have heard about Sony's customer service......

8. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Sony product repair customer support.

1-888-222-SONY (7669)

Talking to real people will be faster than waiting for an email.

Sent using TapaTalk

9. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

Surprisingly, the remote came in today. Unfortunately, I am at my dorm room right now and the TV is at home. I won't be able to go home until Friday, so I will probably end up getting my brother to see if the remote will pair with the TV. If it doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do......

10. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

What kind of phone do you have? I know it is frustrating when the equipment you purchased doesn't work, and you should try to get the Sony remote to work. Google TV has a good remote app.

11. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

I have an iPhone. I already downloaded the app, but it looks like you have to pair the other remote before you can use the app.

12. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

I just had my brother try and see if he could pair the remote and so far it has not worked. So i will go home this weekend and see if I can somehow make it work, if not I will either call Sony again and see if they can do anything or just return it to Amazon.

13. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

I tried the new remote today and it still won't work. I called Sony again and after 45 minutes of troubleshooting they told me that they will send me a new TV for free. I just faxed all my information over today so hopefully I will be able to get the new TV soon and hopefully this one actually works..

14. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

agreed... I have the GoogleTV Remote app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plud and it's awesome.
    Though, I don't see how you would be able pair the app for tablet/phone with the TV without setting the TV up first.

15. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

Great news!! My new TV came in today, I wasn't able to pick it up, so i had my brother get it for me. He just called me and said that the screen was CRACKED! At this point i am extremely pissed off! I have no idea what to do now, This whole experience has been the worst I have ever had. From now on I will never buy a tv online.. I might not even buy a tv from Sony(which kills me because I have always loved Sony product), but this experience might just put an end to that.

16. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

I just got off the phone with Sony for the 5th time. They were going to offer me another replacement(most likely refurbished, again), but they had to wait until they got a tracking number for the replacement tv being sent back to them(which could take up to 3 days). Instead of risking the chance of getting another screwed up replacement I told them to cancel my order and I am going to return the original tv back to Amazon for a refund. Hopefully this will work, since my return window is up tomorrow. I'm having my brother drop the tv off at the UPS store now.. I still can't believe this nightmare actually happened.

17. Robbiegore

Robbiegore New Member

As a final update I figured that I would let you all know that I got my money back from amazon. I just bought a 40" Samsung Led 3dtv. So far I love it, the picture is insane, and on top of that It was on sale(originally $1,300. I got it for $880 as well as 2 free 3d glasses.) So i guess after all the trouble and frustration that I went through with the Sony it all worked out in the end. Although, I do still wish that I could have been able to experience Google Tv, It did look pretty awesome in Best Buy today..... But oh well....