Quantcast

skip ZIP code

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by shahbour, May 2, 2011.

1. shahbour

shahbour New Member

Hello

I am trying to add a new device manually to my sony google tv but when it is always asking me about my zip and saying no content provider near you.

How can i skip this message as i don't want to add a content provide , i want to add a satellite box.

BR
    Shahbour

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

There is no point in adding a device manually which is not supported. Your satellite box is not supported. Google TV uses the Zip code to bring forth TV Guide Search capability and also to determine which IR signals to blast to the set top box. I take it you are not in the US. So just enter any US zip code and then look at the satellite service providers listed and the given hardware...you'll notice that your satellite box doesn't exist and is not supported. Google TV doesn't know your Strong Satellite box IR signals. So just use Google TV without configuring the satellite box input. You'll still be able to use your current satellite remote control. You won't be able to search content because well you aren't in the USA....and your equipment isn't supported. You'll have Google TV for Internet searching content and for all the apps that come with it. If you want to watch your satellite source you just hit the TV button and then pick up your satellite remote. Trust me amigo...this is as far as you'll get.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. shahbour

shahbour New Member

Hello

I am already doing what you suggest, but i think it is fair to just try the other codes to see if any work right ??

I put my home zip code in US 940XX , even i tried my sister zip code but still in both i got "no content provider in your area".

Can you share with me a working zip code, i just want to try all the codes of other brand just to see if they work.

I should at least try other codes before giving up :) , hopefully soon they will allow the remote to learn the codes :(
    BR
    Shahbour

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well Try my zip code.....32708 There are several providers listed for that zip code. If that doesn't work and it still shows no content provider in your area then it must be that Google TV somehow knows you aren't in the US based on your IP address or something.

Your Sony Blu-ray Google TV device will never be upgraded to be able to learn IR codes because it doesn't have an IR receiver...it only has an IR blaster. The Logitech Revue Google TV device has both IR Receiver and Blaster and it does learn IR codes already. But even on the Revue you can't totally customize the buttons...you can only customize keyboard letter keys to send out a particular IR signal.

5. shahbour

shahbour New Member

thanks for your help it seems they check the ip cos nothing is appearing.

thanks a lot