Quantcast

SlingPlayer

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ffalzett, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ffalzett

ffalzett New Member

Here is a reason not to purchase a product on the day it is released. The SlingPlayer app that I use on my US Sony Google unit does not appear to be available on this new unit; and Sony Canada does not have a clue as to weather it will be available via an update in the future, or ever. WD's Media Player has this app and it works fine in Canada for $ 100.00 less cost than the Sony unit! Oh well, caveat emptor!
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I purchase products on the day they’re released all the time; I usually do my homework in advance. But that sounds more as if you’re trying to sell something else here :confused:
  3. futureboy

futureboy New Member

The slingplayer can be found in the spotlight app on the Sony NSZ-GS7.
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant, these first post rants whining and comparing Google TV unfavorably to something else are very common here and almost always based on nothing of substance.
  5. ffalzett

ffalzett New Member

The Slingplayer App for on the new Sony Google TV in the US works great. Now what has to be done to get it on the same Sony Google TV device in Canada?
  6. chopper

chopper New Member

Oh for heavens sake can someone post a copy of the App here and point this poor fellow in the direction of how to side load an App? This may be a solution if side loading on the Sony box has been figured out yet?
  7. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Is there an App that works? I thought everyone was just using the web based slingplayer.
  8. callanish

callanish Member

Noop, we've just moved on ever since the dual processor Google TV hardware came out and fixed most, if not all of the bugs that were plaguing the Revue. I think it was more of a lack of horsepower in the Revue that was causing most of the problems.I can personally say that the Sony Google TV slingplayer app / web link hasn't the same remote freezing, stability, and disconnect issues that I was experiencing with the Revue under OS 3.1 and then with the frames per second issue under OS 3.2. From what I hear, the Vizio Co-Star does the job just as well.

@Chopper - I wouldn't know how to provide someone with a side loaded slingplayer app. Everything seems to be built in as a chrome weblink if you're running the slingplayer in GoogleTV. A U.S VPN and a re-setup of the Google Tv hardware might get the sling app to show up under spotlight apps if it's a regional issue. I honestly thought the slingplayer app came pre-installed on all domestic and international Google Tv boxes.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

That's my experience as well, the Slingplayer web app seems to run just fine on my Sony, but it's just kind of useless for me since my Sony is in the same room as my Slingbox and hooked up to the same DVR, so I haven't done much with it.
  10. ffalzett

ffalzett New Member

Does anyone know why Sony left the SlingPlayer App off the international versions of their Google TV units? I don't believe it is because of any copy-write infringement because SlingMedia deploys their products in Canada and the UK. The app finally works after a year of frustration and now it's not available on their Canadian and UK counterparts!
  11. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Have you tried just going to their web site? If that doesn't work, there must be a web link that the spotlight jumps to that we can figure out.
  12. callanish

callanish Member

Try adding

Http://download.slingmedia/spcd/gtv/index.html

to a bookmark and see if that opens up your sling directory and runs the slingplayer. That's the web link on the slingplayer app within spotlight.
  13. twitchyzero

twitchyzero New Member

Can someone please confirm if they got a workaround to get SlingPlayer app working in the NSZ-GS7 Canadian units?

I'm thinking of picking one up but will be a deal breaker if I can't get slingplayer app working natively

Also side question, how often do google TV get updates? Will we never/take forever to see ICS/JB on these units? I see people flashing XMBC to it, anyways to flash ICS/JB on theM?
  14. twitchyzero

twitchyzero New Member

bump
    10char
  15. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Can't you just buy it and return it if it doesn't do what you want?
  16. Ian1223

Ian1223 New Member

Does anyone know how to integrate the slingplayer app with the other features of google tv such as live tv, the guide apps, buddy tv, etc.?
  17. aguardx

aguardx New Member

Yes it works, with the NSZ-GS7 canadian version, simply paste the url: Http://download.slingmedia/spcd/gtv/index.html to Chrome then Bookmarked, after in bookmarks, press the link for 2-3 seconds a menu will popup, then choose add to home, and you will got the shortcut for SlingPlayer...

Good luck!
  18. twitchyzero

twitchyzero New Member

^ thanks that works...but I would like to know if there's any way to get the app version.

I flashed my unit to the american REL05 firmware.

I am very curious if anyone has any idea as well. I don't like not being able to open up the guide with just one click.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. squig007

squig007 New Member

how do you bookmark on this player ?
  20. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

You can't. At this point, slingplayer isn't even an app, it's just a web page you go to.