Quantcast

slow Speed Test, but not my network?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by metrichead, Sep 9, 2011.

1. metrichead

metrichead New Member

Hi newbie here. I have a Sony TV for the last week and the internet streaming is totally choppy, so of course, I look at my network. From the settings area, I can see my wireless N network connection and it is listed at 130mbps.....so far so good. Now when I do a speedtest.net test I get 2mbps.

If I hook the TV via a wire, the same speed test with the same setting 1 minute later will result in 25mbps speed. Finally, my old laptop wirelessly connected also attains speeds in that 25mbps range.

Any ideas why the Sony would suck so bad in bandwidth?

Thanks in advance,

metrichead
  2. eferz

eferz New Member

Hard to say why. There could be plethora of reasons why your wireless connection isn't up to par on your end. Here are my tested wireless connections. As you can see, my NSX-24GT1 is the fastest out of my four wireless devices. Btw, when you press on the seach button, there's a wireless symbol on the bottom middle beside the time. How many bars do you have? In my test below, I only have one bar.

[​IMG] Sony Google TV with 5Ghz Wireless N

[​IMG] Laptop with 2.4Ghz Wireless G

[​IMG] iPad with 5Ghz Wireless N

[​IMG] iPhone 3GS with 2.4Ghz Wireless G
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. chig

chig New Member

You get speedtest.net to work for you? Everytime I go there with the Sony TV it says I need the latest flash player.

And sorry I cant help with your speed issue, but are you saying the 25mbps is slower than what you expect since you mentioned 130mbps? Or is the 25mbps what you believe you should be getting while connected wirelessly? 1stly... damn! if you have a 130mbps internet connection then that is great, I don't even get 1/10th that. And more on point, is the TV far from the router? Cause distance usually affects connection speed.
  4. eferz

eferz New Member

Yep, it runs just fine. I'm running firmware 2.1-update1 build# ogm_2.1_2011071201ON.165187

I suspect that 130Mbps is the connected rate which his wireless network is connecting, and his issue is the 2Mbps speed which he has tested as opposed to the 25Mbps using Ethernet.
  5. metrichead

metrichead New Member

Eferz you exactly have it right. I am getting 2mbps on the TV while my laptop sitting next to it (all within3 ft of router) is getting 25mbps via speedtest.

The TV says it has a 130mbps connection to the network.

BTW, how did you get a screenshot of your TV screen's speedtest.net?
  6. eferz

eferz New Member

Have you tried changing the channel which your wireless access point uses to broadcast the network? Or perhaps reduce the number of radio compatibility it is using? When I first set up my Sony Internet TV, I realized it achieved the best performance when I set the access point to only use 5Ghz Wireless N spectrum, so I picked up a seperate access point for mix mode access.

Those aren't screenshots, they're the .png images which you can link from using the "share" button on the Speedtest.net site after performing a test.

Btw, here is the results from my:

[​IMG]PC connected via Gigabit Ethernet

[​IMG]Logitech Revue via Gigabit Ethernet

I guess these beat even the Sony Google TV, though they are wired directly to the router.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  7. FastKatt

FastKatt New Member

I had a Sony Media Player...
    I'm on Comcast.
    I was told by Sony that my box couldn't "understand" Comcast's "Speed-boost" technology
    By chance, are you on Comcast?
  8. pjbmcelhinney

pjbmcelhinney New Member

I am having exactly the same problem on Comcast. I average about 20meg download on my laptop and iphone but barely get 2 or 3 on my 24" sony google tv. Anyone know what I can do about this?
  9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say this - but IMO Comcast is notorious for having all kinds of GTV "compatibility" issues. Trying to get their Xfinity streaming web site to work with GTV is a joke. Of course they claim that they are not intentionally blocking GTV - it's just that they set up technical stuff, streaming codecs, internet boost, etc that doesn't work with GTV. It seems to me if that wanted to play friendly with GTV - that they could make a lot of this stuff work.

All I can think of right now is try clearing your cache and closing any open windows before you try the speed test. If I think of something else I'll post it later.
  10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use Comcast Xfinity 6Mbps service with Google TV and I am not having any issues.
  11. CatfishRivers

I have the Logitech Revue and the Comcast 'Economy" internet service. My download speed is usually around 1.5 mbps with the Comcast Economy plan. It's good enough for my needs plus I get limited basic Comcast TV service thrown in for only an extra $10/mo.

Otherwise I'd have to try my chances with putting an up an outdoor antenna - which still might be iffy. So I like the $10 limited basic which includes all the major broadcast networks in HD plus a bunch of other stuff.

So my total bill for internet & TV is approx. $38/mo. It's fine for standard definition videos. For HD I pause the video to let it buffer a while. I have a wired ethernet connection directly to my modem.

You might be experiencing a problem unique to the Sony GTV devices and certain service tiers of the Comcast internet. Have you tried contacting Comcast support?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  12. pjbmcelhinney

pjbmcelhinney New Member

Chris G8- I would say that 6mb is not super speedy and that you may not be experiencing the same speed boost technology problems with that package.

So do you think that this could be fixed with a sony google tv software update, or is it a hardware problem?
  13. CatfishRivers

Chris is on the Logitech Revue. What kind of a set-up do you have? I mean are you using wireless internet and a router? I had read on another thread that there was an issue with the wireless on the Sony products right after the 3.1 update. I'm not sure if they fixed that with a subsequent update yet. There was a thread about it here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-blu-ray-set-top-box/3311-wifi-not-working-after-update.html

Can you try connecting your GTV device directly to your modem by ethernet? Also try resetting your modem.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  14. pjbmcelhinney

pjbmcelhinney New Member

Hi Catfish I have a 24" sony google tv, comcast cable wireless through a motorolla cable modem. This is then distributed (wireless) through a D-Link router (b + G). I'm not getting anywhere near the 20 meg speeds i get on my macbook or iphone (connected to the same setup) which, if anything, are further away from the router than the tv. More like 2 meg! Also the wifi randomly drops out which is becoming increasingly frustrating! Have tried resetting everything but have't tried a wired connection as I want to have the tv in another room. I bought this thing about 3 months ago and would normally expect better from sony. Am seriously considering buying an apple tv and just plugging that into the HDMI input instead. Seems a shame not to be able to use the gtv features of the device.
  15. CatfishRivers

I'll summarize the fixes (for GTV Wi-Fi issues) that were mentioned in the Wi-Fi thread (that I linked to in my previous post). Some posters mentioned that these various fixes worked for them. (Not all the same fixes work for everyone). I'm not sure if this will fix your specific speed problems on the Sony GTV with Comcast internet - but I suggest trying these:

1) "After I rebooted my wifi router everything seems to be woking fine for me....

2) "Have you tried setting static IP addresses? GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information."

3) "I was able to get mine to connect by removing the WPA-PSK encryption. I even tried going back to it, and when I did, it again didn't work. So I now have the blu ray player working, but my network is no longer secure. I have a Dlink DI-524 wireless router (which is rather old)."

4) "Have you considered using a HomePlug AV Powerline Network instead of wireless? They are much more robust and don't have the latency problems which are inherit to WiFi networks. Both Logitech and Netgear make great models that have greater bandwith capacity and throughput than even 802.11n wireless access points."

5) "I was getting connection failed with my old router, too. I couldn't connect until I removed encryption on the router. Today, I picked up a D-Link DIR-601 on sale at Office Max for $30, and it works fine with the blu ray player with WPA/PSK encryption. My advice would be either to remove encryption or consider purchasing another router."

6) " I took the unit back to the store (after doing a factory reset on it) and exchanged it for another one. Hooked up the new one, and everything seems to be working great! No dropped connections, and even Netflix was streaming in HD. So it must have been a hardware-related issue. Now that it's working, we've really been enjoying the enhanced TV experience."

7) "My revue only works with an ethernet connection directly from my cable modem. It won't even work with an ethernet connection from my wireless router. I think it is because I have to find my revues mac address and add it to the list of allowed devices on my network. Anyone know where how to find the revues mac address?

solution: GTV Settings > Network > Status > Ethernet MAC address

"Thanks! The mac address was why my wifi was not connecting. Hope this helps others?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These fixes for Wifi issues were mentioned in other GTV threads:

1) "FWIW, I had the same issue post-upgrade on initial installation (though exercise extreme patience allowed me to connect a couple times, only to crash and reboot during the service provider setup).I tried resetting and many other random actions, however I have discovered that (for me) reconfiguring my wireless router to broadcast the SSID seems to have resolved the issue - not ideal, and if I change to non-broadcast the issue returns where it can't connect........"

2) "My Sony GTV is working! Call Sony @ 1 800 222 7669. I basically had to reset the entire system and would not have been able to do it without the support. The tech that assisted me said they have had calls on this issue so my recommendation is to call and you'll get it going again. Good luck"

3) "By the way, if you ever attempt via WiFi, you have to make sure to disable it and reboot it in order to use the Ethernet port. Otherwise, Google TV configures a private network attached to the Ethernet port while you are connected to WiFi. This will prevent you from obtaining an DHCP address from the subnet connected via Ethernet port because the DHCP client has been replaced by the private network's own DHCP server."

4) "Try to,
    Check if the password entered correctly or just use a simple password (for testing) .
    Mac address filter OFF (for testing)
    Change Router channel /frequency
    Reboot Modem/Router, - after the reboot-up process (Modem first wait ... then Router second wait ...- Reboot Revue. (or have Revue unplugged from power before Rebooting Modem/Router )
    Connect via wired (Ethernet) - then switch to Wifi
    Reboot Revue
    If all fail - do Factory- Reset"

5) "I've had a lot of trouble playing You Tube videos,both from the Chrome browser and from the Google TV app. In the app,they froze and in the browser,they paused and buffered constantly. They always played well on my Mac Mini,however.

Today,I went to Best Buy and bought a "range extender" to help my router send the signal farther.

Now,You Tube plays very well in the browser version! Not sure if I can play HD or not,but things are much better.

The app version of You Tube still plays terribly.

Made a good investment today!"
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2