Quantcast

Sony Google TV NSX24-GT1 won't connect to iPhone hot spot via WiFi

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by MatthewM951, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

I just purchased a Sony Google TV NSX24GT1 and I am trying to connect to the internet using my iPhone personal hotspot. It shows the network, and I enter the password, but it then gets stuck onto the "Connecting to Matthew's iPhone..." and never completes the connection. I've tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance! :)
  2. eferz

eferz New Member

It might be a problem with the type of security protocol or dhcp issues which have been found in the original 3.1 update. If it is the security protocol try setting your WiFi Hotspot to a less secure protocol like WEP to see if that is the issue. If it is then try using the different protocols available to you to determine which ones are compatible.

If it is the DHCP problem then you can manually set it in GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information. Otherwise, you can wait to get the update that's listed in this post: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...screenshots-sony-internet-tv-5.html#post20109
  3. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

Thanks efrez. One question, when you say "LONG KEY PRESS of SSID" what do you mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just got this TV this past weekend, so excuse my newbie-ism LOL.
  4. eferz

eferz New Member

Not a dumb question at all. A long key press is to hold down either the "Enter" button from the D-Pad or the Optical Finger Sensor (OFS) button. Since there is no such thing as "right-clicking" in Android, a long key press often provides similar functionality to access the alternate contextual menus.
  5. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

:) Thanks eferz, I will definitely try out your steps when I get home tonight and see if they work. As far as that update goes, is that out now and available?
  6. eferz

eferz New Member

Yes, it is being trickled out as we speak.
  7. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

Okay great. Now, will my tv still grab the update, even though it's not connected to the internet?
  8. eferz

eferz New Member

You'll have to find a way to get it connected like using the static IP or wiring it up with an Ethernet Cable. And you will also have to wait for it to be available to your particular Google TV device.
  9. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

I see. The thing I'm not sure about is, how would I know which IP to put into it manually. The wireless network I'm trying to connect it to is on my iPhone. Any suggestions on that?
  10. eferz

eferz New Member

You could always connect another device like a laptop or a tablet through your iPhone, write down the IP configuration then disconnect it. Then on your Sony Internet TV, you would apply the static information, connect to the Hotspot and hope it works. Also, don't forget about the encryption options. If you can lower the security then it might help you get online.

By the way, why are you using the iPhone Hotspot? I would think there are better solutions to get internet access to your Sony Internet TV other than using a phone with 3G internet access.
  11. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

Great, I was thinking of doing that too, I'll definitely try that out. At this time, I do not have internet access at my home, but I'm working on getting it soon. For right now, I'd like to get my TV just set up fully, to be able to access the Media Player feature so I can watch and view videos/photos on it. I believe, that I cannot do that until I set it up correct?
  12. eferz

eferz New Member

The alternative is to load your videos and photos onto a USB storage device and plug it into the TV.
  13. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

I do have it on a USB Flash drive, but I do not know where to go after I have it plugged into one of the USB slots on the side of the TV.
  14. eferz

eferz New Member

You can use the Sony Media Player application.
  15. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

I do not know where to go though. I've looked through the menu/settings and do not see Media Player at all. My TV has never been connected to the Internet at all, therefore I have no options to use google chrome or any other feature until I get it connected to the Internet and compete the setup.
  16. eferz

eferz New Member

My apologies. I forgot that you have to complete the new configuration wizard before being able to access any of the Google TV applications.