Quantcast

Sony TV Cannot play Xbox 360 or WII using either HDMI or Component cables without lag

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by rob2d, May 30, 2011.

1. rob2d

rob2d New Member

The title pretty much elaborates on the entire problem. I've adjusted the picture mode to "Custom" to alleviate it as much as possible but its still off by about 1/10 of a second which is VERY noticable when playing games that involve any sort of reflexes whatsoever(in other words: 95% of them). Its to the point where nobody who comes over wants to play games on this TV. Aside from that it turns people off from buying a Google TV in the first place.

[***UPDATE]

I called Sony Technical Support and they told me this was "normal" for it to react to game systems this way. They said it was because of the Android OS. Google, can you hear me? -_-

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

I've notice some minor lag (milliseconds, seems almost like 'blur' but it's not blurry). However I've also seen this with standard LCD TV's as well. My 32" LG TV in the bedroom exhibits the same behavior and it's a standard TV (using the Component Inputs and Component accessory cable for my WII).

3. djangofan

djangofan New Member

This is a silly request. Most people have an HDMI input for their Google TV and a separate HDMI input from their XBox into their TV. The XBox and the Google TV need not interface with each other. The fact that you would try that seems kindof silly to me.

Now if your trying to point out a flaw in the HDMI chaining... then yes, you might have a point, but it seems to me that this would be a lesser important thing to get fixed given that most people don't need to chain HDMI with an XBox. Google TV is meant to be chained with certain tuners only. It says so in the guide that comes with your device.

4. StevenB

StevenB New Member

@djangofan: rob2d is, I'm pretty sure, talking about a SONY GOOGLE TV(NSX-23/32/40gt1) which is a Sony LED TV with built-in GoogleTV.
    @phantomandy: The "blur" lag is not the same as the signal lag like rob2d is talking about. That kind of lag is due to the tv refreshing at 60Hz.
    @rob2d: I don't remember if we talked about this same thing on another topic or not, but I used rockband 2's auto-calibration to find out the audio and video(i.e. the actual signal) is lagging around 150ms, on either connector. While Sony's "Advanced signal processing" may be the base reason for the lag, it isn't their fault. On other Sony models, there is a game mode. so yeah CMON GOOGLE! Give me game mode! Maybe when the new OS rolls out?

5. djangofan

djangofan New Member

Oh yeah, your right on that. Sony is good about doing 1 or 2 firmware updates to TVs and so I would recommend watching for a firmware update.

6. jaytee1o4

jaytee1o4 New Member

Boy I wish I would have read this before I brought this TV. The Lag is hellish. Its funny before buying this I never heard of this type of lag. Repack in progress

7. MrAndroid

MrAndroid New Member

I like how sony blames Google/Android OS for this, when in actuality it's a Sony issue. If you do a Google search for "video game lag Sony TV" without the quotes you will see tons and TONS of posts of Sony TV's doing this same thing. 99% of these tvs were made before Google TV came out, or are current but aren't a smart TV. It's an issue with the way their proprietary "Bravia" software/hardware handles the conversion of the picture. They even have a setting in the TVs called "gaming" which is supposed to reduce the lag, but it doesn't get rid of it. Some people even have a whole 1 second lag on their tvs when playing video games.

I'm a playstation supporter, and I'm also a Google supporter, but I gotta say, totally BAD FORM sony. Don't blame others for your shortcomings.

8. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Yeah I shoulda repacked mine when i bought it, but i do like the tv when it comes to not gaming. I do wish it had a better contrast ratio though. It is pretty pathetic that the contrast of an LED tv is lower than many LCD's.

9. jaytee1o4

jaytee1o4 New Member

Wow I REALLY wish I would have done more research on this matter and thanks for the heads up MrAndroid because I was going to replace this tv with another Sony branded TV but I'm going to stay away. One of the things that kills me is repacking these HUGH TVs! hahahaha its a real pain in the neck. For the record I LOVE the TV. I can't tell you how much im on the net and watching TV at the same time..... Oh well

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  10. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov New Member

Hi all - thanks for the posts. I'm NOT very much of a techie - lag issues aside, is HDMI cable hookup better than component cables? Also, is there anybody out there that doesn't regret Google TV purchase? I got a great deal and thought I'd just pipe Internet content through but have read about ~452 bad reviews...

11. eferz

eferz New Member

FYI, the following thread, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-internet-tv/2571-gaming-lag.html" is much more up-to-date than this one which you just bumped.

As for your question. The HDMI cable is only better as far as being a single digital connection. You can get the same video quality from 1080p out of component cables if the device supports it. However, most do not because of High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) compliance. The "Hollywood" bigwigs just doesn't want you to be able to make perfect reproductions, so they often imply a 1080i resolution limit for analog connections. Other than that there's really no technological advantage unless you are considering much higher resolutions, like for 1080P 3D. In my opinion, HDMI would be a much better connection if it wasn't constrained by HDCP.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  12. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov New Member

Thanks eferz, for the commentary as well as pointing me to a new thread, much appreciated!

13. eferz

eferz New Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

14. likwidsolutions

likwidsolutions New Member

I have read about this problem and it worries me, as I bought the 40 inch version over a month ago. They are phasing this TV out though and I bought a Warranty, so the tiniest thing happens to it I can take it back and then exchange it for a new one.

But I haven't noticed any lag. I've been playing Zelda Skyward Sword via Component cables for about 2 weeks now and haven't noticed any lag or delay at all. I also have an Xbox 360 which I have played Halo Anniversary Edition and CoD Black Ops and haven't noticed it.

I made a video to show that I am not experiencing any lag.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014