Quantcast

The Easiest Way To Side Load Apps On To Your Vizio Co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

SET UP: VIA DROPBOX, YOUR HOME PC/Laptop AND YOUR NEW VIZIO CO-STAR

1.\ Install DropBox First On Your Home PC/Laptop, (DOWNLOAD PC/LAPTOP VERSION HERE) https://www.dropbox.com/downloading , before Installing The *Dropbox.apk On Your new Vizio Co-Star (Read Simple Instructions Below)

2.\ On Your Co-Star Go To *Settings> *Applications> *Unknown Sources And Make Sure It's Check Marked

3.\ As soon as you can, purchase the app "Orientation Control" from the Google Play Store and set the app parameter to the "Landscape" mode, this is a "Must Go To Do", if you are going to continue side loading apps to your Vizio Co-Star ...

The easiest way to side load apps on to your Co-Star is via the dropbox installed on your Co-Star and your home PC/Laptop ... You must send the dropbox.apk file, get it HERE https://www.dropbox.com/android or HERE http://www.mediafire.com/?3tfczy2uoa9uoct (New 2.2 Version) to your Co-Star via your Gmail account to yourself ... You will have to access your Gmail account via the Chrome web browser on your Co-Star, just login, you will see the dropbox.apk email, that you sent to yourself ... Open the dropbox.apk email, tap on the word "Download" in blue, until you see the message "Download Started" ...

After about 45 to 60 seconds go to the "Download app located in the Apps Screen section" and finish installing the dropbox.apk to your Co-Star .... As you know from then on you must have the Dropbox PC version installed on your PC/Laptop first and foremost, which you should have already installed on your PC/laptop ....

When you have completed the installation of the dropbox.apk on your Co-Star, from this point on, all the apps you want to side load on to your Co-Star must be installed FIRST to your PC/Laptop dropbox and the apps will auto uploaded to your dropbox on your Co-Star ...

Open the dropbox app on your Co-Star. and stroll down, tap on the app you want to install to your Co-Star and follow the simple installation instructions, that's it .....

*PLEASE NOTE: If by chance you have to do a hard reset on your Vizio Co-Star in the future, ALL of your Vizio Co-Star (Side Load) apps will still be in one place/location for easy access to reinstall very fast if needed, think about it now .... They are other ways to do this to, but this way is smooth as butter and silk too ...!(lol)

*Another easy method for (Side Loading Apps To The Vizio Co-Star), open up an account at any free file hosting website like http://www.mediafire.com and upload the APK app you want to install on your Co-Star to your Choosen file hosting website ... Next download the APK app from your choosen file hosting website that you want to install to your Vizio Co-Star via the Google chrome web browser that's on your Vizio Co-Star ..... Now install the APK app using ES File Explorer, simple and easy (Thanks To Snowglyder) ....
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

As an alternative, you can use EStrong's File Manager. I did this last night with my phone. I already had ES FM installed on my phone, and it's available through the Play Market place for Google TV.

On your phone, use ES FM's App manager to create backups of the applications you want to try on the Google TV.
    Connect the phone to the Costar through the USB connection, and then mount the SD Card in you phone.
    By default, ESFM comes up to the sdcard for the device its installed on, in this case, the Costar. You'll need to select "Favorites" and the phone's SDCard should be listed for you to choose.
    Once in the phone's SDCard directory structure, look for the \backup\apps folder and you should have the .apks for the apps you backedup. Select the apk and the Costar should install the application.

I tried this last night with several applications (Google+, Domino's, Mindjet, etc) and they all installed. Note that some of the applications may not work. I had two that indicated the would not work in portrait mode. Google+ app installed but opened in landscape mode, and wouldn't allow scrolling through posts so it was essentially useless.

Additionally, something to note. I tried uninstalling the applications that didn't work correctly from the App manager and all three programs the app manager ran into an error and force closed. Costar may not like side loaded apps very much
  3. mdvalenz

mdvalenz New Member

There are apps available that will set your orientation to landscape which will allow the other programs with portrait mode issues.
  4. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname New Member

Hi all.
    Just want to second Rrok007's recommendation about ES Fiile manager.
    It's a great app, and if you're brave enough to root your phone or tablet (Android), it gives great control of the device.
  5. seedoubleyou

seedoubleyou New Member

Seems even easier to goto settings, enable the FTP server, then utilize the URL provided to drag and drop, then use ES to install. No Dropbox needed.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Zevot

Zevot New Member

Another way to side load apps is through remote adb on another computer. Enable remote adb on the co-star and add the computer's IP address in the settings. From the computer with the android sdk installed, run the following from a command line:
    1. "adb connect IP" (where IP is the ip address of the co-star"
    2. "adb install app.apk" (where app.apk is the filename of the application you wish to install)
    • Like Like x 4
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, all of these different options, surely I can figure out how to install some non Google TV apps using one of the methods. I will wait a few weeks for users to have more experience with the apps, get some recommendations on which apps are best, and give it a shot. I am certainly one of the most enthusiastic of all Google TV users but among the least skilled at hacking anything or doing anything out of the ordinary with any of the devices I own. If it turns out none of the non Google TV apps offer what appears to me to be must have Google TV improvements, I won't bother.
  8. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

I am not familiar all that much with GOOGLE TV but, why couldn't you use the Chrome browser and go to the link you provided, " https://www.dropbox.com/android" and download from the website? Just saying? :D
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Try it your way, it might work, I see several methods above for side loadning apps to the Co-Star and they will work too .... I prefer my method above, simply because if you have to do a factory reset, you will have all your apps you want to side load again in one place ... It will fast and easy reinstalling your apps, compared to some of the methods above, it will take more time, to each his own ....
  10. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

You are correct. I never thought about ever having to reinstall the apps and how nice it would be to have them all in one place. ;D
  11. degsie

degsie New Member

Quick question: how do you uninstall a side loaded app when it doesn't show up on 'my apps'?
  12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Go here, com.rhythm.hexise.uninst-1.apk get the FREE "Uninstaller" app (Side Load), it will show/display all the apps on your Co-star, scroll down and uninstall the app of your choice, except "Systems" apps ...
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MsCarolM

MsCarolM New Member

I have ES File Explorer installed on my Co-Star, and added Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive to the networks section. I already have my phone apps backed up to Dropbox, so all I had to do was go to my backup directory, and double-click on the file I wanted to install. It appears to work:)
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

That will work, sweet ...!(lol)