Quantcast

Tuner?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by snook789, Nov 30, 2011.

1. snook789

snook789 New Member

Hello
    I just ordered Sony GTV. Can't wait to get it!
    I need some help on how I should set it up
    I'd like to use it on my older Panny Plasma (that I plan on moving into our spare room for the kids to play wii, watch movies, ect)
    but the monitor doesn't have a tuner :(

I planned on using GTV with our free basic cable and ota

I can rent a box from the cable company for $10 a month
    but I was trying to avoid this...

Any suggestions ?
    Reading here I see some are using the older Tivo's with HDMI (which model?)
    and I saw the post on the Channel Master CM-7000PAL with Revu's
    Anything else ? preferably something smaller + works w/ Sony's remote

Oh, also want to mention, that right now, I had to install Comcasts DTA on couple of our TV's so
    we would get All the basic channels

Appreciate any assistance
  2. ishoutloud

ishoutloud New Member

nothing much. power it, connect to internet by LAN or wifi, ON SCREEN interface will walk you through the settings, its easy. that's it. The Android OS will update automatically, ON screen help is good, they don't come with bulky user manual. Don't see this as a regular TV, this is a big size smartphone with TV built-in . It has a built-in 4GB memory too, you can store your picture, music, etc...use an ordinary $10 Philips OTA antenna that you get in walmart, that works good, I am in Plano,TX , here I get about 35 OTA channels. I have NSX40GT1.
  3. eferz

eferz New Member

I'm slightly confused since you posted in the Google Television sub-forums. Did you buy the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player or an actual Sony Google TV television? I'm not clear how you would use the later with the Panasonic Plasma Television.

Since most (if not all) of Comcast's channels are encrypted you're going to probably have to purchase a TV tuner that has HDMI output and CableCard slot. There aren't that many out there. The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are the Tivo Premiere and the Tivo HD Series 3 (TCD652160). Using the CableCard will require you to subscribe to Tivo's service. However, they do have a Lifetime option that allows you pay for a one time fee instead of having a monthly subscription. There is also a $100 discount on the Lifetime with the PLSR promotional code if you're interested in that route.
  4. snook789

snook789 New Member

Thanks for the reply guys!
    eferz, so sorry, yes I posted in the wrong forum
    I was reading about the Sony Tv's w/ Google, and how those with Comcast DTA's needed two remotes....
    I guess I didn't exit out and navigate to the correct forum b4 posting.
    I bought the NSZ-GT1
    Please move :)

I really like our Tivo Premiere. I looked at getting a 2nd one, and Tivo charges $15 a month for the 2nd receiver, then the fee Comcast charges for the CableCard....
    It made me search for alternatives...
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. eferz

eferz New Member

Actually you have other choices:

I may be reading this wrong but it seems that you could buy a Tivo HD series 3 then you'd only have to pay $9.95 per month with your Multi-Service Discount. However, I personally prefer the one time charge of the lifetime service. Especially, since it raises the resell value of your Tivo and you save the money in the long run.