Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star Bluetooth Problems

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by grassof, Aug 22, 2012.

1. grassof

grassof New Member

Hello,

I am wondering if my co-star remote and or control unit is defective or just not powerful enough. The remote has considerable delay/lag and I am only 10 feet away from the unit. The Vizio remote is only usable if I am within 4-5 feet of the unit. When I try to use the keypad of the remote and type on it, their is a delay on input of the text but when it finally shows up on the screen it types the same key multiple times..
    For example if i'm searching for the term "dice" it will lag and type out "ddddddddddddddddii" etc.(This is with me taping each letter once*) I unpaired and paired the device, I've attempted to turn off my router/microwaves and even cordless telephones to see if that was causing interference and the remote *still* lags.

Any ideas?
    its almost worthless.
  2. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

One of my G+ Circle members just got theirs last night. He made a post on G+ about it today, from the device, and made no idicator of a problem with typing from the controller.
  3. twosted

twosted New Member

deleted
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  4. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

Mine works. No problems like this. I did notice if I lean back in my chair and hold the remote up I could confuse the accelerometer accidentally and one side won't work. Possibly annoying but I love the functionality of the 2 sides.
  5. Soloman

Soloman New Member

grassof- I have the same problem with my remote. A single letter press won't register initially. Once it does, the letter is typed many times (very annoying). My remote also seems to go to sleep or loose connection. I have to unplug the Co-star then plug it back in before the remote will work. I've attempted to take out the batteries then put them back with no positive results. I sit about 6-8 feet from the unit which should be fine for bluetooth range. The included VIZIO batteries test as fully charged so I'm guessing that's not the problem. This is a great device when it's working, but when it's not I feel like a dope holding this great remote that does nothing.
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just to be sure I would try testing the remote with some good quality fresh batteries such as Duracell.
  7. grassof

grassof New Member

This exact same thing happens to me as well. It seems to go to sleep and stay that way..after about a minute of hitting buttons the remote turns back on. I've also used fresh energizer batteries to no avail.
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think Bluetooth remotes do go to sleep and the fix will be finding the best way to bring it back to life, surely somebody can suggest what key to hit and provide an estimate of the few seconds needed before use, maybe 2 or 3 seconds? I don't have the Co-Star or I would try to find the answer but the answer may already be in the Co-Star tips thread. This should be the kind of issue with an easy workaround. I am sure it is not a battery issue, except in the rare case one shipped out with old batteries.
  9. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

I wonder if maybe sliding your finger along the touch pad for a few seconds would be enough. That way you aren't pressing a button and having it react to the putton that was pressed.
  10. grassof

grassof New Member

I also tried only sliding on the touch pad then waiting about 10 secs and trying again and it wont wake up most of the time.
    As far as using the tips.
    I put the remote in IR blaster mode and it worked better and typing showed little improvement -- I still get the occasional multiple key entry when a key is pressed. The problem with IR blaster mode is the basic functionality and being unable to use the track pad. I put in a support request to vizio but they haven't responded back yet.
  11. Rick

Rick New Member

I'm having the same problem. Really annoying.
  12. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

I haven't had any issues with mine at all in that regard. You might try unpairing your remote under Setup->Devices->Bluetooth. Select the remote, scroll all the way to the bottom and hit delete. Alternatively you can flip the remote over and hit q + space + = (I believe, thread on it around here somewhere) to have the remote unpair itself (it'll still need to be unpaired in the co-star when you try to repair it later). That will switch the remote into IR mode, then you can test to see if you have the same issues in that mode. If so then the remote is bad. If not, perhaps you have some BT interference, low batteries or possible the remote or co-stars BT transmitters/receivers might be messed up.

Here's an article on minimizing BT interference: Minimizing Bluetooth Interference

Basically it operates on the same frequency as wifi, some cordless phones and microwaves. Assuming you don't have a cheap microwave running every time you test it then it's probably one of the other two.
  13. twosted

twosted New Member

You could try turning off the Remote Power Save option. It's under Settings>Devices>Bluetooth. The remote should be listed, press OK and the Remote Power Save option should appear. Set it to off and see if your remote is more responsive.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

15. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

My remote control cannot pair with the unit.
  16. ryanwebb

ryanwebb New Member

This is definitely a problem with me too. The remote is very sluggish at times, some times wont respond at all, requiring a reboot. I have turned off the power save feature on the remote, and I have re-paired (more than once). Sometimes it works fine, but many other times it does not.
  17. Jamesr913

Jamesr913 New Member

As far as the ddddddddd issue it seems for me it has to do with the orientation of the remote. It seems when I type on the remote keyboard at a more vertical orientation it stops typing and then when it goes back to a more flat position I get the ddddddddd and the length of how many letters corresponds to how long it was more vertical. (vertical meaning q at the top)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  18. grassof

grassof New Member

Last night it started working great! I turned off power save mode for the controller and enjoyed the co star how it was supposed to be used for at least an hour and a half. I was oriented about 10 feet away and to the right of the device by about 20 degrees *where my recliner sits :)

then.. There was an update and it started to act up again. delayed key entry and jittery mouse, lots of lag. I did the usual unpair and reset up but nothing. I doubt the update did it-- i think the simple restart of the device caused it to lag out again. I also noticed that orientation of the controller affects how it works. If i'm in front of the device it lags really bad, but when i go to the sides it gets a little better *still hardly usable at this point* I also noticed that the track pad side of the controller works fine *except when im in front of the device*. I went up to 20 feet away and used it behind walls and the track pad would move on the screen and the buttons would bring up the app and settings as well.

However, when i tried to use the keyboard there is considerable lag and delay.. up to 10 seconds before anything shows up on the screen with jacked up input as a bonus. -- the keyboard is usable when i'm right next to the device* -- I'll call support today and see if they can help.. it could be just bad firmware.
  19. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

If no response from the remote right at the opening welcome screen, the remote is not in IR mode, and this is required to select OK and start the setup process. Perform these steps:

1. With the RC keyboard side up, press "Q"+"="+spacebar (all three keys) simultaneously and hold for 5-10 seconds.
    2. Remove the battery pack, wait 5 seconds and slide back in.
    3. This should reset the remote and return it to IR mode
    Tip: Use your phone camera, point it at the top of the remote, press volume key on remote to see if IR is firing

If the remote was previously paired, first remove and replace the battery pack. That re-initializes the remote and should re-connect.

To test whether the remote is in BlueTooth mode, try using the touchpad. If no response, the remote is not paired. Follow steps below to pair.

Go to Settings->Devices->Bluetooth

1. Select the existing BT connection (if it exists), scroll down and select Delete
    2. The screen will return to BT, no devices should be listed
    3. Press Blue button and Record (Red button above with transport keys) simultaneously for 5-10 seconds
    4. Select Pair, hit Ok
    5. Verify Remote is found
    6. Select the remote and press OK one more time to complete Pairing.
    7. You should get a message confirming "Pairing Successful".

One other tip.. there is a pointer speed control setting for the trackpad. Settings-Devices->Pointer->Pointer Speed

Can those of you having trouble try these steps and post the results? Thx
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  20. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

I had a problem pairing the remote control. I removed the battery. Everything is looking good now.